Canada - Samantha Toole, 6, raped & murdered, St John, NB, 2 Oct 1993

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/story.html?id=9fdcbf6f-d3f8-4ae5-87e7-ead42ff7667f&k=64612

george-pitt.jpg

Gary Dimmock, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Saturday, February 25, 2006

George Pitt always said the only thing he was guilty of was having bad friends, and that the only thing prosecutors put on trial was his lifestyle.

Now, 12 years after the New Brunswick man, an admitted alcoholic, was condemned to life in prison for the rape and murder of his six-year-old stepdaughter, authorities have finally tested seemingly key evidence from the crime scene and have found none of it matches his DNA, the Citizen has learned.

The New Brunswick justice department agreed last summer to begin testing the evidence after a Citizen investigation in 2004 revealed that while Saint John police collected crime scene exhibits -- including the girl's nightie, vaginal and oral swabs and four hairs found on her body -- they never actually sent it to the crime lab.

None of the freshly tested exhibits reveal his DNA profile.

Jerome Kennedy, a lawyer with the Association in Defence of the Wrongfully Convicted, known for freeing Guy Paul Morin, Donald Marshall Jr. and David Milgaard, says the results are good news for Mr. Pitt, who has always maintained his innocence.

"If I were doing a trial here, I'd say to the jury: 'What do you expect to find here, and what does the absence of evidence tell you?' It tells you that you don't have the right guy because common sense in these circumstances (rape, murder, and dumping of the body) would tell you that you would expect to find (a DNA match)," said Mr. Kennedy.

Although Mr. Pitt's DNA didn't match the tested exhibits, it also didn't identify anyone else's, making it hard to identify another possible suspect.

"Trying to prove George Pitt's innocence is almost impossible unless we find the real killer," said Mr. Kennedy, who took up Mr. Pitt's case after reading the Citizen report.

That article also revealed that according to an internal Correctional Service Canada report, police kept investigating the circumstantial case months after Mr. Pitt's 1994 conviction. Moreover, the Saint John police chief actually named someone else as a suspect.

Mr. Pitt, now 40, was convicted in 1994 for the rape and killing of young Samantha Dawn Toole, found dead behind her home at the edge of the Saint John River on Oct. 2, 1993.

The six-year-old girl was raped, beaten, choked, then dumped at the river's edge and left to drown.

Her time of death was never determined, so it's not known if police could have found the missing girl before she was killed.

It is clear that police didn't take the missing-child report seriously. In fact, according to 911 transcripts that were not released at trial, the two police officers first dispatched to the Toole home laughed about it, and went about other business.

The girl's mother, Gloria Toole, had to call police four times over two and a half hours before police finally responded and issued a citywide missing child alert.

She gave her address and explained that she had left the child with a babysitter the night before, and that when she woke up, her daughter was missing. Ms. Toole had skipped line-dancing class at church for a night of drinking, and then slept in until noon.

This case begins by being so bizzare.....the police were called and when they came to the house they just laughed and blew the mother off???? She had to call them 4 different times before they took her seriously??? The DNA was never sent to be tested??? They can't say that the person in prison for the crime is innocent...even though the DNA isn't his...until they have the person who actually committed the murder??? Is this all correct?

Yes to everything Bobbisangel... at least that is the way the article has been written.

It appears that the circumstantial evidence was enough... um... that is it was enough to convict him even though the police continued to investigate and named a suspected AFTER he was convicted!

His lawyer is known for helping other wrongly convicted people... hopefully they can get to the bottom of this case.

Yes to everything Bobbisangel... at least that is the way the article has been written.

It appears that the circumstantial evidence was enough... um... that is it was enough to convict him even though the police continued to investigate and named a suspected AFTER he was convicted!

His lawyer is known for helping other wrongly convicted people... hopefully they can get to the bottom of this case.

Did you follow the trial? Witnesses lied drank and blacked out for days at a time. Sloppy police investigation will never give my family the justice we deserve. And the circumstantial evidence was questionable at best. George Pitt is sitting in prison for a murder he did not commit

I sat through every day of the trial and I was floored at the verdict cause up until that time in my life I had no clue that a person could go to jail for life based on circumstantial evidence. I was in Saint John, NB and I ran into one of George's sons who informed me that George could be released from Renous if he would admit to killing Samantha. He refused and he is still sitting there. He claimed he was innocent right from the get-go and now it has been 28 years and I have no faith that the truth is every going to come out. At the time I was friends with all the people involved and every now and then this case comes to my mind and it still bothers me to this day. Is an innocent man sitting in jail? One of the craziest investigations and witnesses on the stand that you could clearly tell they were lying.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back