986 users online (157 members and 829 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OR - Brian Page, 16, Salem, 12 Jan 1975

Here is a copy of the flyer from MPCCN:

Brian Page
    MPCCN Case File: 6M70

Left: Page, circa 1975;
    Right: Age-progression at age 41 (circa 1999)

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    Missing Since: January 12, 1975 from Salem, Oregon
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date Of Birth: March 15, 1958
    Height and Weight: 5'8; 155 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair; brown eyes. Page has a scar on his left arm. His nickname is "Joe."
    <LI>NCIC Number: M-882827008

Details of Disappearance
    Page was last seen leaving a party in Salem, Oregon with a friend on January 12, 1975. His car, a 1962 turquoise Volkswagen Bug with Oregon license plates 7P3626, has never been recovered. Few details are available in Page's case.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Portland Police Department
    503-823-0400

Source Information
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    National Crime Information Center

Last edited by Kimster; 09-25-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: featured cold case until 9/30/2012

This case really bothers me. It is listed on a few sites, such as The DOE Network, Charley Project, Missing Children's Network, and the Oregon State Police Missing Children's Clearinghouse. There are so few details, and I just can't seem to understand how a person AND a vehicle just vanishes into thin air for 30 plus years. I can't find any newspaper archives on the disappearance. I contacted Judy Hayes with the State Police Clearing house, and she told me that she had no knowledge of this case until 1995, when a female caller (who turned out to be the sister of Brian's best friend) called to inqure about his case. I asked Ms. Hayes if there were any other photos of Brian (she said that was the only one available...and it was taken from a highschool yearbook), if the friend he supposedly left the party with returned or disappeared, and if this friend was able to give any accounting of the evening after leaving the party. I also wanted to know if there were any cliffs or large bodies of water he could have accidentally driven off into and submerged the vehicle, or if he was considered a runaway.

She was unable to answer any of my questions, but said that she only knew that this was a 16 year old boy who lived in Portland that drove to Salem for a party (I would never allow one of my teenagers to drive almost an hour away to attend a party.) Witnesses saw him walking to his vehicle to leave the party. He was never heard from again and the vehicle never surfaced either. She said that since this case is so old, it was before the FBI had the NCIC available to track missing persons or vehicle plates. I asked her if anyone has recently checked DMV records to see if the VIN comes up with different plates. She said that both the plates and the VIN number were flagged in case they ever surfaced. She was also unsure if his parents still lived in the area. She stated that she felt confident that between the Marion County Sheriffs Office and the Portland PD, the investigation had been sufficient.

I emailed both the Marion County Sheriffs Office in Salem (Where he was originally reported missing) and the Portland Police Department (which filed the missing person's report with the state since he lived in Portland), but neither has responded, yet.

Does anybody know anything else about this case?

I wonder if there was a body of water that he could have crashed his car into? And, if they sent in divers.

I wondered that also, Garden Mom. I tried pulling it up at mapquest, but couldn't tell much. I'll post if I hear back from Portland PD or the Sheriffs Office.

I still haven't received a response from the Portland PD or the Marion County Sheriffs Office. I would think that the straightest route to travel would be I-5. Does anyone know if there are any bodies of water large enough to lose a vehicle in, along that route between the two cities?

I cannot open the link to see his picture.....

Do you know the address of the party and what direction his friends saw him heading? I found the following bodies of water in Salem (may not be all inclusive):

Pringle Creek
    Webb Lake
    Walling Pond
    Looks like a body of water near the intersection of State and Hawthorne Ave NE
    Body of Water near Salem Parkway and Cherry Ave NE
    Staats Lake
    Willamette River
    Gibson Creek
    Mill Creek
    Croisan Creek
    Glen Creek
    Winslow Gulch
    Franzen Reservoir
    Battle Creek
    Jory Creek
    Higgins Creek

These are not all --- but it would be helpful to know the general area he was leaving from and where he was perhaps headed.....

Age Progression

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

bump...

www.doenetwork.org/cases/4dmor.html

It states he was last seen leaving the party with a friend. What happened to the friend?
    There's not much information on this.

Down in South Carolina, a serial killer by the name of Donald "Pee Wee" Gaskins claimed to have killed 3 teens, 2 girls and a guy from Oregon in 1975.

http://www.francesfarmersrevenge.com...rs/gaskins.htm
    "Writing from prison, Gaskins called 1975 “my busiest year and my killingest year.” His pace of random murders on the Carolina coast remained “about the same,” although he started January with a threesome, including a man and two women. Gaskins described them as “hippie types” from Oregon, whose van had broken down near Georgetown. He offered a lift to the nearest garage, then detoured to a nearby swamp and handcuffed his captives at gunpoint. Before he drowned the trio, Gaskins said, “It was hard to say which one suffered most. I tried to make it equal.”

It would be a stretch to think Joe Paige & a couple of girls wound up in SC, but who knows. I don't know if the bodies of the trio Gaskins claimed to have killed were ever recovered.

Brian was my brother. He actually went to the party in Salem with his older sister and two neighbor friends who were also brother and sister.
    He was with the male friend when he disappeared. The friend claims he has no knowledge of what happened to Brian.
    My parents were heartbroken, and received no help from the police. The Portland police said it was Salem's problem, and the Salem police said it was Portland's. A police officer came to our home and was very rude about the whole situation, saying that Brian just ran away. We know that was not true, because Brian would always call home whenever he was going to be late. After all this time, our family is still haunted by his disappearance.

what was the last thing his male friend told your family about your bro?
    was he driving alone or his friend was also in the car?
    did your brother drink too much that night?
    what´s this neighbor´s story?

smp...firstly let me tell you how sorry I am that this has happened to your family. Secondly, thank you for coming to Websleuths. This is a great forum with lots of members to help you sort through this sad situation. I hope you will continue to share with us so we can help you.
    Praying for Jason.
    Find Beaner!
    Where is Kayla Berg?
    Justice for Stephanie Low, 9-22-14 RIP Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    Brian was my brother. He actually went to the party in Salem with his older sister and two neighbor friends who were also brother and sister.
    He was with the male friend when he disappeared. The friend claims he has no knowledge of what happened to Brian.
    My parents were heartbroken, and received no help from the police. The Portland police said it was Salem's problem, and the Salem police said it was Portland's. A police officer came to our home and was very rude about the whole situation, saying that Brian just ran away. We know that was not true, because Brian would always call home whenever he was going to be late. After all this time, our family is still haunted by his disappearance.
    He was with the male friend when he disappeared, but this friend has no knowledge of what happened to him?

Certainly he must know where he was dropped off at, since he isn't missing.
    He may know if Brian said where he was going after he dropped off this neighbor friend.
    Did the sister catch another ride home? Was that preplanned?
    About where did Brian live in Portland, and did he live in Salem before that?
    How is he known to the people who were throwing the party, old friends, heard about from friend?
    He was sixteen and had a license to drive, and was driving a VW bug, which aren't known for speed, so he wasn't racing anyone, correct.

What was Brian like?
    Did he get good grades in school?
    Did he have a drug problem?
    Did he have a girlfriend?
    If yes, had they recently broken up?

My own brother was attacked with a long pipe one night while being tricked outside by a girl who he knew.
    Apparently the father was upset because he danced with his daughter, so he decided to ambush him. Because it was dark, he was able to get away after realizing there was no reasoning with guy.
    After they left, he came back in the house. He had been hiding in the field behind the house.

It was a different time back then. People took matters into their own hands rather than call LE. I don't remember calling LE that night.
    My brother was very sore, but thankfully no bones were broken. He had gotten hit three or four times.

So, whether your brother was in an accident, and he has simply never been found, or someone did him harm, more information is needed.

Certainly though, you and your family must have some first intuition as to what happened to him, yes?

If you think we can help, please don't hesitate to ask.

God bless you and your family. Not knowing must be horrible.
    My Opinion Only..MOO

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast