1467 users online (274 members and 1193 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    For The Missing: Pacific Northwest Brian Page has been missing from Oregon for 36 years today.

Brian Joseph Page - Salem OR, 1975

16-year-old Brian Page, who may use the nickname Joe, has been missing from Salem, Oregon since leaving a party with friends in 1975. His vehicle, a turquoise 1962 Volkswagen Bug, has also never been found. Anyone with information should call Portland Police at 503-823-0400.

Brian's photo has been age-progressed to age 52. http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

So sad!

Hopefully WS can help! I would like to know if the friend whom Brian was with at the time he disappeared has provided any information concerning what he remembers that afternoon or night? Also, has the friend been interviewed? How many times? Are the friend's stories consistent? What does he/she think happened to Brian?

Satch

Here's more detail: Brian and his friend, David, had taken LSD this night, and were listening to music at their friend's home in Salem. When my sister and her friend returned from a party, David said he was freaking out, and he left the home. David's sister told Brian to go after him.
    Brian, being a good friend, followed David out of the house. The Volkswagen bug was David's car, and they took off in this. The police picked David up around 5:00 am. He had broken into a car dealership and was racing down State St in the stolen car.
    He said that he had been having a bad trip and thought he was in hell. So sometime between 2 am and 5 am my brother disappeared. He was driving the Volkswagen.
    He was a good kid, and always let my mom know when he was going to be late. He also watched out for his siblings and friends. He may have e+perimented with drugs, but that was common for this time. It did not make him a bad kid, or make him irresponsible. He was a wonderful brother, and even though I was the oldest, he would look out for me.
    I know that David was hypnotized to see if he could remember what happened to Brian, but it was not successful. My dad was always convinced that David had something to do with his disappearance, but I don't know that this is true. I do know that the police were judgmental and not at all sympathetic or helpful. They considered him to be just another runaway, and would not help my family. My mother (now deceased) would always break into tears when talking about the policeman who came to take the report. The lack of police response allowed my brother's disappearance to slip into oblivion.
    I did go to see a psychic who worked with the police, and she said he was driving away from Salem and trying to sober up. She said the car skidded on ice and went into Detroit Lake. This lake does dry up quite a bit in summer, and I don't know how deep it is behind the dam. I'm sure it's possible, but with all the fishing and water sports on this lake, it seems something would have turned up by now. It is still heartbreaking when I think of Brian's disappearance. I just wish we knew what happened to him.
    I checked into the Portland police cold cases, but his name's not listed there. It appears you have to have a body to be considered murdered or dead. If you're missing, you do not have a voice.
    Last edited by smp; 02-23-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    Here's more detail: Brian and his friend, David, had taken LSD this night, and were listening to music at their friend's home in Salem. When my sister and her friend returned from a party, David said he was freaking out, and he left the home. David's sister told Brian to go after him.
    Brian, being a good friend, followed David out of the house. The Volkswagen bug was David's car, and they took off in this. The police picked David up around 5:00 am. He had broken into a car dealership and was racing down State St in the stolen car.
    He said that he had been having a bad trip and thought he was in hell. So sometime between 2 am and 5 am my brother disappeared. He was driving the Volkswagen.
    He was a good kid, and always let my mom know when he was going to be late. He also watched out for his siblings and friends. He may have e+perimented with drugs, but that was common for this time. It did not make him a bad kid, or make him irresponsible. He was a wonderful brother, and even though I was the oldest, he would look out for me.
    I know that David was hypnotized to see if he could remember what happened to Brian, but it was not successful. My dad was always convinced that David had something to do with his disappearance, but I don't know that this is true. I do know that the police were judgmental and not at all sympathetic or helpful. They considered him to be just another runaway, and would not help my family. My mother (now deceased) would always break into tears when talking about the policeman who came to take the report. The lack of police response allowed my brother's disappearance to slip into oblivion.
    I did go to see a psychic who worked with the police, and she said he was driving away from Salem and trying to sober up. She said the car skidded on ice and went into Detroit Lake. This lake does dry up quite a bit in summer, and I don't know how deep it is behind the dam. I'm sure it's possible, but with all the fishing and water sports on this lake, it seems something would have turned up by now. It is still heartbreaking when I think of Brian's disappearance. I just wish we knew what happened to him.
    I checked into the Portland police cold cases, but his name's not listed there. It appears you have to have a body to be considered murdered or dead. If you're missing, you do not have a voice.
    SMP,

Thank you for your kindness and courage in telling us about this information. I hope that someday your brother will be found and pray that he is OK! You certainly deserve closure and some comfort during all these years, what surly has been a most difficult time for you and your family.

It is true that a lot of LE jurisdictions back in the 70's and previous often thought that most missing people, especially if they were juveniles were just runaways. Tragically, many responses often ranged from apathetic to total insensitivity. I remember that people often had to wait for a certain period of time before LE would even consider someone a missing person! How awful!

Thankfully, times have changed, but sadly those who have been affected by the pain of not knowing what happened to their loved ones, remains.

Welcome to Websleuths! Hopefully, we can work together for you, your family, and for Brian. Thank you for your post!

Satch

SMP,
    I cannot imagine the heartbreak your dear family has gone through. My prayers are with you all tonight.
    I think the car into the water theory might just be the answer. I've posted this in another forum, but for your benefit, I'll repeat.
    My cousin's husband accidentally drove off a boat ramp while lost in the middle of the night and drowned. The ONLY reason he was found is that a woman was letting her dogs out nearby and heard the splash. He was totally and completely lost, and the boat ramp looks for all the world like a two-lane country road.
    My son-in-law's father fishes every Thursday in the St. Joseph River for decades. He has launched his boat in exactly the same spot hundreds if not thousands of times. Several years ago, the police recovered a long-submerged car and driver- from directly under John's launch spot.
    I for one would like to see a volunteer effort among the country's fishermen to explore with sonar every single body of water in our country for missing cars and people.
    Not sure if this helps, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and praying for you today.

Hi smp, and welcome. I'm sorry your brother has been missing all these years.

I hope they're wrong, but the psychic description sounds plausible. A few years back, they pulled a car out of a stream not far from here -- you would have sworn that if you drove a car in, water wouldn't even reach the windows. But it had been there about 20 feet upstream from a canoe put-in for several years. The bottom is muddy, so the car sank into the muck and disappeared. (There was supposed to be a body in the trunk, but all they found was a painter's dropcloth.)

A Beetle of that vintage is quite a small car; if it sinks into the mud like that, it wouldn't take much water to keep the rest of it completely covered.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

I'm so sorry you haven't been able to get cooperation from law enforcement. It does seem that the water theory is very plausible. It doesn't seem likely that your brother's friend would have done something to him, then had the presence of mind to dispose of his car, then manage to get to a car dealer to take another one. Have you been in touch with David or his family? Is it possible that David has experienced any 'flashbacks' that might have jarred his memory of that night? I hope your family is finally able to get your questions answered.

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel View Post
    It does seem that the water theory is very plausible. It doesn't seem likely that your brother's friend would have done something to him, then had the presence of mind to dispose of his car, then manage to get to a car dealer to take another one.
    snipped by me

I wonder how plausible it would be for someone on LSD to maybe be freaking out and his friend be trying to help him and while IN the car something happened. David being delusional and thinking he was in HELL could have been fighting with Brian and caused an accident; causeing the car to drive into a lake or something. Brian could have been knocked out and David got out, whereupon he went on his stolen car ride. Not sure how this could happen without some "flashbacks" on David's part though.

BUt I must be honest I really don't know all that much about LSD except what I have read and seen on TV. I do know I have read that when it was being used experimentally on high level scientists it caused some pretty bad trips and terrible "flashbacks".

Could this have happened this way? I just have a hard time seeing him disappearing without David knowing something. Not the way it was left.

Could this have happened this way? I just have a hard time seeing him disappearing without David knowing something. Not the way it was left.
    That's a mystery to me as well. I just can't see David not involved in this either directly or indirectly. However, I don't know enough about the effects of LSD to assess the relationship between David and Brian from the time of the party, to Brian's disappearance, to David being picked up with the stolen car.

There a major piece of the puzzle missing in this case, if not several pieces between Brian and David leaving the party to David being picked up in the stolen car. I wonder what specific questions the original investigating officer had who stopped David in that stolen car, and what was his response to those questions?

We would than need to know if and how much his statements changed over time after the effects of the drug had worn off. Any witness at the party? Or observation of both friends during that mysterious time frame by witnesses?

I wonder if someone really knows what happened to Brian and might be covering up that information for fear of shame and embarrassment of not coming forward? Maybe if they were granted immunity, the person or person(s) involved might be able to set the record straight. If David does know something, he might be so devastated after all this time that he still does not want to get involved. However, Brian's family needs peace and some closure to find out what happened that night and early morning.

I think that David may very well be holding those missing puzzle pieces in this case. This is so sad.

Satch

It's a very sad situation.

I will say, though, that depending on what sort of trip they were having, it is entirely possible that David remembers nothing, or at any rate nothing useful. I had a friend who got run in by the cops for running naked down the street while on LSD, and he will swear to this day that he was kidnapped by aliens in blue space suits. And no, he's not just trying to be funny.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Even though this is in California, there's still some helpful and interesting info here;

http://porchlightforthemissinganduid.tripod.com/

SMP, I'm so sorry that your family has lived with this heartbreak for so many years. I pray for closure for you. Brian's case has bothered me for several years, now. What bothers me most is the flippant attitude from the police agencies- I'm disappointed in the female investigator who insisted that she was confident between the two agencies, that a sufficient investigation was done...yet she didn't even know if any of Brian's family was still in the area or how to contact them. It doesn't appear to me that much was ever investigated. I'm assuming that the female caller in 1995 was David's sister. Has anyone in your family ever spoken with David or his sister in later years to see if they recall anything else, or if their stories have changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon7 View Post
    Even though this is in California, there's still some helpful and interesting info here;

hxxp://porchlightforthemissinganduid.tripod.com/
    Be careful!!!! My Web Of Trust (My WOT), which provides color safety ratings for websites says this site is DANGEROUS. (Rated RED)

Here is the WOT scorecard:

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/po...uid.tripod.com

Satch

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    Be careful!!!! My Web Of Trust (My WOT), which provides color safety ratings for websites says this site is DANGEROUS. (Rated RED)

Here is the WOT scorecard:

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/po...uid.tripod.com

Satch

Yikes. Sorry, I usually don't care for the 'tripod' addresses, either. I just posted one of the links for his article from one of the 'missing' sites (it was unfortunately using tripod.) He's with the San Bernadino Sheriff's Office. Here's a better link for his same article off of 'Peace for the Missing.';
    http://peace4missing.ning.com/forum/...ly-must-know-a

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast