Lie Detection

Jayelles

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I just read an interesting article about a new "more reliable" kind of lie detector which uses MRI imaging:-

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-01/rson-wtl013006.php

Elsewhere it is being suggested that the Ramseys might want to take this test to clear their names in the court of public opinion - after all, if it is truly accurate, they should have nothing to fear?

Alas, I think the Ramseys will never agree to such a test. I am sure they would find some reason to refuse it.

Good work, Jayelles. Very fascinating! I've often thought about this topic. If I knew I was innocent, I would still be nervous and think I would blow the test because of nerves. They would have to get me awfully relaxed, even being innocent. I can't even imagine how guilty people would do. I would love to analyze what they said "they passed" in terms of lie detector questions for their very first lie detector. And I'm with Narla on the truth serum (sp?).

It would be simple to carry out a good test for this new lie detector. The subjects could be asked 20 verifiable questions and told to lie in 10 of them. The polygrapher could then tell the subject which ten answers were lies - absed on the results.

The answers would have to be verifiable and the questions objective.

Was your mother's maiden name Smith?

Questions like "Do you like chocolate?" are no good because they aren't necessarily black or white.

As I said - I'm sure the Ramseys would find reasons to refuse the test. If Patsy has cancer in her brain, it might not be effective anyway. John would probably refuse on the grounds that he wouldn't want to expose himself to radiation...

The study group was very small....perhaps they could enroll the Bush Administration into a study?

Maikai said:
The study group was very small....perhaps they could enroll the Bush Administration into a study?
What? And break the machine before it can be put to good use??? :)

I am lovin' this article Jayelles, bravo. :clap:

This should rank right up there with DNA. The knot is slowly tightening around all of the fibricators necks.

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago. It seemed like a great idea and then I never heard anything more about it. The people working on it then said it was particularly useful in situations where a suspect claimed to have never seen a victim or been in a particular location. When the suspect was shown a picture of [victim, location, whatever] the brain would either access memory locations, which meant they had seen it before, or it wouldn't access a memory which would indicate they were telling the truth.

I was excited about it at the time. I hope it catches on.

IrishMist said:
What? And break the machine before it can be put to good use??? :)
I always enjoy your posts IrishMist. It takes a lot to make me laugh, but you do it with such ease. What is it about the Irish and their way with words?

I beleive the science of this new lie dectector works on recognition.The police must keep certain aspects of a crime from the public so only the guilty party would recognize the evidence.In the Ramsey's case I think that it would be imposible,as the evidence was shared with them via the district attorneys office.I bet it would be very difficult to find an aspect of JB's murder that they don't already know about. If any information leaks out about a crime( as in press reports, witnesses ect.) it would be usless to use on this test,and that has been the reason this technology died on the vine several years ago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back