745 users online (96 members and 649 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GA - Lita Sullivan, 35, dies in contract killing, Atlanta, 16 Jan 1987

ATLANTA - The case has it all - money, power, an international manhunt and a hit by a killer carrying a gun along with a dozen long-stemmed pink roses.

The defendant is a millionaire businessman who faces the death penalty if convicted. The victim was an Atlanta socialite whose mother is a state lawmaker.

Nearly 19 years after Lita Sullivan was fatally shot on the doorstep of her townhouse in the city's Buckhead neighborhood, her husband, James Sullivan, once one of the FBI's "Most Wanted" fugitives, will go on trial for murder Thursday in a Fulton County courtroom.

More:
    http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradent...s/13535024.htm
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

Finally, is all I can say. I have been watching this case for years and years. Her parents were totally dedicated to seeing this guy get justice.

Jury selection begins this week in Sullivan murder trial

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — James Sullivan's eventful life has included four wives, four offspring, a landmark oceanfront mansion in Palm Beach, furtive years living in foreign countries and the exhumation of a long-dead uncle to determine whether Sullivan hastened his demise to inherit his business.

Now another momentous chapter in his life is about to begin, one that will determine whether Sullivan, 64, spends the rest of his life in prison or possibly is executed.

On Thursday, jury selection begins in Atlanta, where Sullivan is in custody on charges that he arranged the murder of his second wife, Lita McClinton Sullivan, 19 years ago this month. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for the former Palm Beach millionaire.

Lita Sullivan, then 35, was shot in the face by a man carrying a dozen long-stemmed pink roses and a 9 mm semiautomatic pistol. She had just opened the door of her townhouse in Buckhead, a section of Atlanta that is home to the Georgia governor's mansion, as well as the estates of Coca-Cola executives, golfing legend Bobby Jones and a former U.S. attorney general. Saturday would have been Lita Sullivan's 54th birthday.

More: http://www.oxfordpress.com/hp/conten..._0108_COX.html
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

About damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    About damn time.

That is a long time to wait for justice for the family. I wonder if her parents are still living? I'm so glad that he is going to trial. I'll bet he thought he was home free after all of this time. Two marriages after her. I wonder if they had any children. Was he a fugative because of her murder? So many questions

Can someone let us know what is going on in this trial or what happened please?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    That is a long time to wait for justice for the family. I wonder if her parents are still living? I'm so glad that he is going to trial. I'll bet he thought he was home free after all of this time. Two marriages after her. I wonder if they had any children. Was he a fugative because of her murder? So many questions

I just check the ajc archives and the last article was 1-13-06 regarding jury selection. Yes, her parents are still living and no, Lita and Sullivan didn't have children together. He was on the run so long there could have been other charges besides conspiracy to murder.

As soon as something new shows up I will post it here.

From the newspaper a month ago ...

Now a jury selection that could take a few weeks is about to begin.

The 12 jurors and two alternates who are selected will be sequestered in a hotel throughout the trial, which could last a month.

The judge has set a tentative date of Feb. 20 for the start of testimony.

13th Juror

Trial has been delayed one week to allow prosecutors to question a new witness. Trial now scheduled for 02-07-06.
    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...0sullivan.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

It looks like on Monday the attorneys will start selection of the jury. The article I linked is all about the case from the beginning and answers a lot of questions.It reads like a crime novel but its true.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...tsullivan.html

Palm Beach Millionaire On Trial For Slaying Of Atlanta Socialite

ATLANTA -- A millionaire businessman who owns a Palm Beach, Fla., mansion goes on trial today in Atlanta.
    Prosecutors contend that James Sullivan plotted the murder of his second wife, Atlanta socialite Lita Sullivan, from his Palm Beach mansion.

More: http://www.local10.com/news/7501156/...s=mia&psp=news

Lita Sullivan Murder Trial Started After 19 Years

Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel

I think somewhere along the line, he realized it was easier to do a pre-nupt than having them killed.

I didn't realize there was another thread on this.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/l...s/14001465.htm

- A palm print on the flower box handed to Lita Sullivan by a killer posing as a delivery man has never been identified in the 19 years since she was shot to death, an investigator testified Thursday in the murder trial of the victim's husband.

Only two prints were found on the box, a right thumb print matching the victim and the palm print, which is believed to be the victim's but authorities never took impressions of her hands to make a comparison, said Lou Cuendet, a retired Georgia Bureau of Investigation fingerprint expert.

"A request was made for the palm prints to be submitted and they never were," Cuendet told jurors in James Sullivan's murder trial. He couldn't explain why.

The prints of the alleged triggerman, Phillip Harwood, were not found on the box.

Defense lawyers for James Sullivan have argued that police were sloppy in handling some crime scene evidence, and have insisted there is no physical proof that their client hired Harwood to kill his socialite wife at her Atlanta town house on Jan. 16, 1987.
    MORE AT LINK

The lawyer from small-town Texas they had on teh stand, corroborating the hitman's girlfriend's story, is going to do a lot to sink that smug, stingy sociopath's boat.

Apparently his stinginess extends to a compulsive habit of stealing and hoarding condiment packages.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast