Mexico Mexico - Domenic, 59, & Nancy Ianiero, 55, Riviera Maya, 20 Feb 2006

joanofarc

Justice for All Women and Children
Reaction score
Hi All:

I came looking for a thread on this but didn't see one....(if there is one, mods you can delete).

This is quite the story. A Toronto couple are murdered (throats slashed) in the Mayan Riveria while in Mexico for one of their twin daughter's wedding....how sad....:(

Mexican authorities are trying to pin it on 3 women from Canada...at first they said it was a professional hit...but now they are backtracking...now it seems 3 church going women are worried as they think they are considered suspects!!!

http://torontosun.com/News/Canada/2006/02/26/1463004-sun.html

I had not heard about this but after you posted I did a google search and there are numerous links to news stories about it. The travel forums for Playa Del Carmen/Cancun area also have very long threads about the murders. It is a very tragic & sad story. There are a couple of links to local articles which have been translated at this link http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/

The thread is under News/Gossip

I have visited Playa del Carmen and stayed in Maya Riviera about 3 years ago. It was the third time I have visited Mexico and the worst time of my life! I'm sure a lot of people have gone and had a great time. As soon as we got there I was harrassed by immigration, money was taken from me, etc. etc. It's a long story but just wanted to say I've had really good experiences in other parts of Mexico and met very pleasent and friendly people, especially in Puerto Vallarta. So I was pretty surprised at the way I was treated when I arrived in Cancun and the lack of help I could receive from anyone. And it wasn't just me, the whole time we were there there was quite a bit of story exchanging. Maybe it's because there's so much partying and booze that goes on there?

This is a sad sad story and I know my experience has nothing to do with what happened, but I tell you, I had the worst feeling the whole I was over there. Like I wasn't safe. It's hard to explain but at the time the person with me thought I was just being paranoid and it's sort of like, ha - maybe I'm not so crazy after all!

Corrupt Mexican officials....shades of Aruba and the Natalie Holloway case.

Mexican human rights activists have been demanding the resignation since last June of the top prosecutor investigating the murder of two Canadians, accusing him of sanctioning torture and the fabrication of evidence in cases within his jurisdiction.

So far, however, Bello Melchor Rodriguez, attorney-general of Quintana Roo, has brushed off complaints against him, calling them "pure lies." He failed to act on an official directive from his own government's human rights commission to investigate "improper" actions by his officers.

He also dismissed a report in Mexico's Reforma newspaper that said looted goods from last October's Hurricane Wilma, which devastated the Yucatan Peninsula, ended up in his office and those of his staffers. He is allegedly making use of a new refrigerator, while a stove went to public relations officials and a sound system found its way to the public ministry, which houses local police.

The news article says he had apparently insisted on taking charge of the recovery of more than 500 looted items in the state's northern zone, which includes the tourist area of Cancun.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1141080629708&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Can you imagine... you go to Mexico on vacation with you girlfriends (they are in their 30s), hear a runkus down the hall but ignore it. The next morning you head off to home.

Then you hear that there was a murder down the hall from where you stayed!

Then you hear that you have been accused of the murder because the LE found traces of the victim's blood in your room!

The women think they might have tracked the blood in, unwittingly, as it appears there was some in the corridor.

They are fighting extradition:
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/miami/17197.html

PonderingThings said:
Can you imagine... you go to Mexico on vacation with you girlfriends (they are in their 30s), hear a runkus down the hall but ignore it. The next morning you head off to home.

Then you hear that there was a murder down the hall from where you stayed!

Then you hear that you have been accused of the murder because the LE found traces of the victim's blood in your room!

The women think they might have tracked the blood in, unwittingly, as it appears there was some in the corridor.

They are fighting extradition:
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/miami/17197.html

I saw the two young women on TV last nite - they are going through hell right now. They had a scheduled flight that day to return.

The Mexicans can say what they want, but these two women will never be extradited. Besides if they tracked blood into their room then everyone else must have too.

I have never been to Mexico and because of this, I never will. That Mexican LE (if that's what you want to call it), really scares me. Imagine what would be happening right now if they had not got on their flight!! :eek:

I have been to Mexico many times. As a matter of fact I rented a house once probably within a couple of miles of where this happened. I was always just a little worried about Mexican LE but never had any problems. I have heard horror stories about people who have gotten in trouble while there. Luckily I have nothing but wonderful memories of my trips there. My husband and I had planned to spend this past February in Play Del Carmen but there was so much damage after the hurricaines last year that we changed our minds. We are planning a trip for our anniversary this summer and think that we feel more comfortable staying in the good old USA.

joanofarc said:
Mexican authorities are trying to pin it on 3 women from Canada...at first they said it was a professional hit...but now they are backtracking...now it seems 3 church going women are worried as they think they are considered suspects!!!
I'm very interested in this story - the two Canadian women are from here in my home town, and they are just frantic. We're talking about medical students and soccer moms here, not streetwise at all.

It seems that the Mexican authorities may be trying to pin it on them just because their room was on the same floor, and they are from Canada. Of course, they are from here (Thunder Bay) and we're 1550 kilometers from Woodbridge (an 18 hour drive), where the couple came from. No evidence that either woman knew the couple, neither woman has any criminal record, and no motive has been offered. Despite being described as "fleeing", the women actually left exactly when they had been booked to return home.

The women came forward as soon as they were contacted - no word about the supposed third woman, except that she was not anyone that either Everall or Kim know. They've hired a well-known local attorney, but they're obviously very worried.

I can tell you this has people locally cancelling trips to Mexico - and no wonder.

http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=80880
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/

Jackie

Jacklad said:
I'm very interested in this story - the two Canadian women are from here in my home town, and they are just frantic. We're talking about medical students and soccer moms here, not streetwise at all.

It seems that the Mexican authorities may be trying to pin it on them just because their room was on the same floor, and they are from Canada. Of course, they are from here (Thunder Bay) and we're 1550 kilometers from Woodbridge (an 18 hour drive), where the couple came from. No evidence that either woman knew the couple, neither woman has any criminal record, and no motive has been offered. Despite being described as "fleeing", the women actually left exactly when they had been booked to return home.

The women came forward as soon as they were contacted - no word about the supposed third woman, except that she was not anyone that either Everall or Kim know. They've hired a well-known local attorney, but they're obviously very worried.

I can tell you this has people locally cancelling trips to Mexico - and no wonder.

http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=80880
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/

Jackie

I feel so sorry for these two young women - what a nightmare!

I wouldn't think that the Mexicans would be interested in extradicting these two women. Canadians murdering Canadians - Not in their interest to prosecute imo. They couldn't care less - all they care about is their tourist industry and this theory that they have put out is an attempt to protect that.

Thank Goodness they got out of that Country!

Nancy Grace Transcripts....(more at link scroll almost to the end)...publicity starting to gear up as the family is very distraught...

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0603/06/ng.01.html

Let`s go straight out to Lee Baig. He is an attorney for two women from Canada who suddenly find themselves under this cloud of suspicion.

Welcome, sir. Now, your two clients are very unlikely suspects. They are moms. They`re kind of soccer moms. They have no criminal record. They were down there in Mexico for another wedding, and they just happened to be staying in the hotel room that was right near the hotel room of the Ianieros. And they happened to leave, as planned, as scheduled, on the morning that their bodies were discovered.

Why do they find themselves under this cloud of suspicion?

LEE BAIG, ATTORNEY FOR CHERYL EVERALL AND KIMBERLY KIMMEL: Well, they find themselves under a cloud because the chief investigator in Mexico announced that they were the prime suspects. He said things like, "We know they did it." He called them very big, strong women who ventured down the hallway, killed the victims, returned to their room, and left the -- fled the hotel the same day, fled Mexico.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, we just saw some video of them, and they don`t look like that strong, that big. I mean, one of them is quite petite.

BAIG: Well, I don`t know how strong they are, but they`re certainly not what you would describe as "big." In addition to that, you`ve described them as soccer moms. Ms. Everall is about to become a doctor, so she`s been many years in university. Ms. Kim...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, you know, university women can play soccer or their kids can be soccer. It`s kind of a generic term...

BAIG: Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: ... to describe sort of wholesome mother types.

BAIG: Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: ... who don`t look in any way, shape, or form like they could be involved in anything nefarious. It`s a compliment.

BAIG: OK, well, we`ll take it as a compliment. They`ve never been involved with anything like this in their lives. They`re nice, church- going women who volunteer all over this community. They`re well-known in the community. It`s just preposterous to think that they would have anything to do with this.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And let`s hear what one of your clients had to say about all that.

BAIG: Sure.

Anything new on this? Are the Mexican officials stillpointing the finger at the 2 Canadian women?

I found this article after I posted that question.

Ianiero murder investigation focuses on hotel workers Last updated Mar 8 2006 08:38 AM EST
CBC News

Two more RCMP officers have flown to Mexico to observe the Ianiero murder investigation, which is now focusing on four local hotel employees as suspects.

It's the first time Mexican authorities appear to have refocused their investigation back into Mexico.

Mexican police are reportedly looking for two security guards and two cleaners who have not reported for work at the hotel since the Ianieros' bodies were found with their throats slashed.

http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/story/tor-ianiero20060308.html

The last I heard the two women are no longer suspects. I have heard all kinds of crazy stories now. Latest that they thought it might be linked to the mafia.
I really hope they get it figured out. We stay at Barcelo Maya (where this happened) every year. It's a great place and we have always had the best experience. This it the time of year we book our tickets and now because of this I don't know what to do.
I didn't even see this thread and probably wouldn't even have known it was at the resort we stay at if it hadn't been this time of year. I really feel like this was an inside job, and that they knew them- since nothing was taken. I also heard on Nancy Grace that 2 maintence men and a cleaning women took off and no one has heard from them since.
That part scares me into not wanting to go back, but with little jobs in Mexico it can possibly mean they are now at another resort. Then again this could just be one more "rumor". There are a bunch going around. At this point I think the Mexican officials are willing to pin it on anyone they can. I belive they are the ones that came up with the Mafia theory.

Was anything taken from the slain couple? What appears to be the motive for the brutal murders??

Going to Mexico is dangerous - period . There have been numerous murders , extortions and other crimes by LE and private citizens alike. Rarely do they make the news and being an american makes you a target. You have no rights there and mexican law is bizzare and corruption is fact of life there.

We paid $200 for a ticket for almost causing an accident because another driver honked his horn. My DH license was confinscated and we paid the fine
and got the license back at the jail. All in all a lovely afternoon. NOT - One of the tamer incidents I have encountered there.

We were pulled over way down in the interior by Linares and at least 6 feds jumped out of a van and had machine guns aimed at our heads. They tore our luggage apart - sifted through everything including passing my underwear around . We pulled all our papers out but finally $300 in twenties caused the guns to be raised and we were allowed to go. May none of you ever
know what its like to be staring down the barrel of a machine gun.

In an upscale resturant two men approached my husband and offered to buy me ( for about $800 ). Yes they were serious . My Dh speaks spanish so
the conversation was very clear . Being an american is a disavantage but being a blonde american female is walking around with a big red target on you.

My advice to anyone thinking about visting Mexico --is to find another spot.
Unless being a victim of a crime is your idea of a perfect vacation.

Over 500 women have been murdered right across the border over the past
twenty years and little is being done to prevent or solve the crimes.

We went to Mexico once, and will never return. It just isn't safe (IMO). I have a long, long list of things that have happened to people I know, or people they know, and it's just downright scary. No thanks.

I feel horrible for the couple, and if I were those girls, I'd be scared to death they'd extradite me. Remember that story about the man from Arizona? It's been years ago, but his wife fought for years to get him out of jail and back in this country. I don't remember what they even charged him with...or if the charges were accurate. I think they just held him.

We travel a lot...but more and more, we are planning our vacations in the USA. Things can and do happen here...but at least you know what your rights are.

An anonymous letter sent to a Mexican newspaper suggests police should look for two Canadians who flew to Cancun the same week Dominic and Nancy Ianiero were killed.
The typed letter, which was stamped on March 3 at a post office near Hamilton, Ont., reads: "Will you please ask the police to check out the possibility of Canadians flying from Cuba to Cancun on the week that the murders took place.''

The letter describes three men. Two of the travellers are Canadian; one tall and thin, the other heavyset. The third is a Latino, "possibly Mexican," according to the letter

http://snipurl.com/olv8

Bloody knife linked to tourist murders
March 31, 2006

(CP)

Solving the double murder of a Canadian couple in Mexico last month may come down to an apparently bloody knife found near the crime scene and now part of evidence obtained by York Regional police, the Toronto Star reported today.

A special team of York detectives, who have taken a leading role in the Canadian investigation under the auspices of Interpol, picked up the knife from Thunder Bay police and brought it to Toronto late Wednesday, says York police chief Armand La Barge.

He would not speculate on whether the knife was used to fatally slash the throats of Dominic and Nancy Ianiero, a Woodbridge, Ont. couple who died Feb. 20 in their hotel room on the Mayan Riviera in Mexico.

La Barge said his detectives have turned the knife—found in a knapsack by an American girl and her family near the hotel three days after the murders—over to the Ontario Centre for Forensic Sciences in Toronto for examination.

A source close to the case told the Star that the knife, which he described as large, had blood on it.

The American family held onto the knife and returned home to Duluth, Mn., not far from Thunder Bay.

The girl’s father, a police officer, heard about the murders upon his return home and within days the knife was sent to Thunder Bay police.

At the request of Mexican authorities, police in Thunder Bay already were busy interviewing residents who had vacationed at the Mexican resort at the time of the murders.

Thunder Bay police then notified York investigators.

http://www.fftimes.com/index.php/6/2006-03-31/24941

Mexican murder mystery: 10 unanswered questions
Mar. 4, 2006. 01:33 PM
LINDA DIEBEL
STAFF REPORTER

Two weeks after Dominic and Nancy Ianiero had their throats slit at a Mexican resort — she apparently found lying by the door of their hotel room, he in the bathtub — the plot thickened yesterday. One step forward, a groaning step back.

In Ottawa, Mexican Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez promised full RCMP "participation" in the murder investigation on the Mayan Riviera. Meanwhile, in Cancun, the loquacious Bello Melchor Rodriquez, Quintana Roo state attorney general in charge of said investigation, told Associated Press the RCMP have information that the slain Woodbridge couple "had links with illicit activities."

He has argued from the beginning — well, more or less, depending on the day — that the murders were a professional hit by Canadian hit women who were on their way home within hours of the crime, which occurred early on Feb. 20.

The source of yesterday's information is fuzzy. Rodriguez didn't elaborate, the RCMP declined to comment and the anguished Ianiero family was left with the sort of speculation they characterized last weekend as "lies, just ludicrous."

As the Mounties prepare to pack their bags, here are 10 questions that need to be answered:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1141426212243&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

This case is mystifying. Was there anything missing from the dead couple's room? If so, I lean more towards it being an "inside" job.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back