KY - Byron Perkins skipped out on son awaiting kidney, 2006

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Destin Perkins is 16 years old. He found out last year that his kidneys shut down and he needed a transplant. His mother donated hers. But unfortunately, his body rejected it so he is now in need of another transplant.
His father offered his. But there was a problem. Byron Perkins was in jail awaiting a court sentencing date. Arrangements were made to allow him out to donate his kidneys to his son.
He did not show up for the hospital. He ddn't go back to the jail. He is now on the run with his girlfriend, Lee Ann Howard, who is also a felon, who is awaiting trial. Both are considered to be habitual offenders.
They are to be considered armed and dangerous.
Accoding to the court order that allowed for his release, if Perkins failed to live up to the court order, he would be arrested by U.S.Marshalls. They are looking for him now.
Before he left, he wrote a note to his mom saying he would be close and she wasn't to worry. And that he would come through for Destin someday.
http://www.cknj.com/articles/2006/01/29/news/03manflees.txt

OMG, does that ever take the cake! Unbelievable, the b*s**advertiser censored*d. He'd come thru for his son someday. I hope they catch this couple real fast. What state are they in. Let me guess. Ohio?

Scandi

Kentucky. But by him telling his mother he would be close, I fear he has taken off for someplace more distant.

When he is found, I hope they shoot him. That is the only possible way they might be able to recover his kidney. If he is brought back alive, I fear he won't be allowed the chance to donate again.
I kind of applaud the gov. for allowing him the chance to donate, but can't understand why he wasn't wearing some type of monitoring device while he was out. In all of the articles I have read, there has been no mention of a monitor.

I'm speechless. How can he give his son hope and then do this? This is a betrayal of the worst kind for his son. :banghead:

What is wrong with people? Our children are our everything- well at least for some of us? :confused:

JellyBean

I can't understand why he wasn't taken to and from testing in shackles.

JellyBean said:
I'm speechless. How can he give his son hope and then do this? This is a betrayal of the worst kind for his son. :banghead:

What is wrong with people? Our children are our everything- well at least for some of us? :confused:

JellyBean

I think this is a worse crime than what he was in prison for originally. I just cannot believe anyone would let their son die when they could donate a kidney.

What a looser!!!I hope they find him soon!!!

They had this story on our news last night (takes us a while to catch up on news!).

Are there any updates on this? Have they caught him? How is the son doing?

Was wondering- if they caught him, will they still allow the operation to go ahead considering that he's a flight risk?

They should bind him to the bed and remove his kidney..sew him up if they feel like it :furious:

JellyBean

A couple said that they realised the 2 that they saw on vacation in Mexico were wanted. from a news report.

7362337_240X180.jpg

This is a photo of Destin;
7404052_240X180.jpg

Last year, doctors told 16-year-old Destin Perkins he needed a kidney transplant. When Destin's body rejected his mother's kidney, his father offered to help.

Byron Perkins was in jail waiting to be sentenced on robbery charges. He was let out last month to undergo testing at Kosair Children's Hospital, but never showed up.

"I couldn't believe he had did that," Destin Perkins said. "Do the smart thing and turn yourself in."

Destin's mother, Angie Hammond, told WLKY on Thursday that her son might not make it if his father continues to evade police.

"We were hoping that he'd step in and give him the kidney, and Destin could have a normal life," she said. "That's not going to happen unless he turns himself in."

Dark Shadows, do you have a link for that?

SewingDeb said:
I can't understand why he wasn't taken to and from testing in shackles.
I don't understand that, either!! Stupid, stupid, stupid!! :banghead: Poor Destin, I hope he finds another kidney in time.

Perkins had been held in federal custody awaiting sentencing on charges of marijuana distribution and unlawful transport of firearms. He faces a minimum of 25 years in prison on those charges.

Those charges were filed while Perkins was serving a supervised release from a sentence in North Carolina for bank robbery. He also has a pending charge of armed robbery in Green County, Gilbert said.

Perkins previously had asked to be released pending his court hearings but was denied. The U.S. attorney's office had objected, arguing that he missed previous court appearances and has a violent history.

The U.S. attorney's office did not object to Perkins' release for medical tests because the judge had confirmation from a medical professional that Perkins was the only viable donor for his son, Ford said.

She said the marshals service lacked the staffing to keep Perkins under constant guard during the testing, so the alternative release program was set up.

Ford said the decision to release Perkins was a difficult one, but "we believed the health interests of the minor were worth the risk."

It should be noted that Perkins was not wearing a moniter bracelet because the doctor said that it would hinder the surgery equipment.

This poor child is going to die because of stupidity,how can the Marshals say that they had no staff to supervise him:liar:

Here is an update link;
child dying because of stupidity

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) -- A Kentucky prisoner who duped authorities and his family into believing he intended to donate a kidney to his ailing son may have escaped to Mexico with his girlfriend, federal authorities said.

"It is a solid lead," Deputy U.S. Marshal Dawn Izgarjan told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday.

The possible breakthrough came after a couple saw a report on CNN about Byron Perkins and his fugitive girlfriend while at the Phoenix, Arizona, airport, recognized the pair and called authorities.

Destin was shown again on CNN tonight.This just rips at your heart.

Has anyone heard how Destin is doing?I cannot forget this story.It hurts my heart too much.

dark_shadows said:
Has anyone heard how Destin is doing?I cannot forget this story.It hurts my heart too much.
You and I must be on the same wave legth..I was going to bump this thread up today :crazy:

Any updates?

I've been doing searches on this pretty regularly and it has been on AMW twice. The last article I have seen was Apr. 5 and Byron still hadn't been located yet. Perkins and Howard committed a theft in Mexico, so even the Mexican authorities are looking for them. They are a couple of American's in hispanic Mexico, you would think they would stand out!

http://www.cknj.com/articles/2006/04/05/news/01perkins.txt

JellyBean said:
You and I must be on the same wave legth..I was going to bump this thread up today :crazy:

Any updates?
Hello JellyBean,
Yes we are on the same wave length.It is the African Grey connection.:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member