New Guidelines Released Today, March 1 For Child Autopsies

Thinkoflaura

Former Member
Reaction score
Snipped from a family's email inbox. The CDC has released a new Guidelines form for MEs and Coroners to follow when establishing cause of death in babies. as SIDS is no longer considered A cause of death.

Message from CDC:

CDC Releases Tool to Aid Infant Death Scene Investigation

CDC released the Sudden Unexplained Infant Death Investigation (SUIDI) Reporting Form today. The newly designed form, while voluntary, can be used to gather consistent information about the circumstances surrounding all sudden, unexplained infant deaths.

Each year in the United States, more than 4,500 infants die suddenly, with no obvious cause at the time of death. Approximately half of these sudden infant deaths are reported as sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). The diagnosis of SIDS should be reserved for those cases in which the cause of death remains unexplained after thorough examination of the death scene, a complete autopsy, and a review of the infant’s medical history.

To view the form, please go to www.cdc.gov/sids or contact 770-488-5200 for additional information.

I am so thankful for this and hope that all MEs, coroners, ER docs, Pediatricians, etc will start realizing that SIDS is NOT being given wide acceptance as a cause of death any longer.

How can I get on the CDC mailing list?

Linda7NJ said:
How can I get on the CDC mailing list?

Hi, Linda,
I don't know. I read the daily email updates from the member of my family who is a physician.
I had no real interest until news of the Avian flu finally reached N. America, now I have to read it every day.

Colour me not the brightest crayon in the box but why is SIDS no longer an accepted cause of death? I don't doubt it was over used as a cause of death but are they saying it doesn't exsist?

Jubie

Jubie,
I think this means that it shouldn't be considered the cause of death without a real investigation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back