Fla. Man Returns Missing Diamond Ring

aussiegran

Reaction score
BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. -- Marlene Kiraly asked her husband to hide the 3 1/2 karat, uninsured diamond ring her mother gave her just before she died 23 years ago. Problem was, he did such a good job no one could remember where it was.

That was until John Kilcooley was renovating a bathroom in his home last month. Tucked away in a bag, behind a light fixture, Kilcooley found a 3 1/2 karat diamond ring.

Instead of keeping it, he tracked down the home's previous owner who sold the house in 2004. His wife called Kiraly and asked if she lost something during the move.

"She started crying and said her mother's ring," John Kilcooley said. "We could have sold the ring, but if I would have lost something or she would have lost something, we'd want somebody to track us down."

The Kiralys unsuccessfully searched the house before they moved and have tried numerous ways to jog their memory.

"I went to a psychic a month ago to find out where the ring is, and she said my husband hid it really well and I would find it," Kiraly, 48, of Lake Worth said.
http://www.local6.com/news/7643798/detail.html
:) :) :)

aussiegran said:
BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. -- Marlene Kiraly asked her husband to hide the 3 1/2 karat, uninsured diamond ring her mother gave her just before she died 23 years ago. Problem was, he did such a good job no one could remember where it was.

That was until John Kilcooley was renovating a bathroom in his home last month. Tucked away in a bag, behind a light fixture, Kilcooley found a 3 1/2 karat diamond ring.

Instead of keeping it, he tracked down the home's previous owner who sold the house in 2004. His wife called Kiraly and asked if she lost something during the move.

"She started crying and said her mother's ring," John Kilcooley said. "We could have sold the ring, but if I would have lost something or she would have lost something, we'd want somebody to track us down."

The Kiralys unsuccessfully searched the house before they moved and have tried numerous ways to jog their memory.

"I went to a psychic a month ago to find out where the ring is, and she said my husband hid it really well and I would find it," Kiraly, 48, of Lake Worth said.
http://www.local6.com/news/7643798/detail.html
:) :) :)
wow----33 people have viewed this and no-one thinks it was worth a response?? I cant imagine the joy the gal had, when her moms ring was returned-- I dont think it had anything to do with the value- or they would have insured it-- its great to read about honest folk, amongst all the horendous threads we all read everyday! were they stupid...maybe( the couple that hid the ring)--- but this story made me smile :D

j2mirish said:
wow----33 people have viewed this and no-one thinks it was worth a response?? I cant imagine the joy the gal had, when her moms ring was returned-- I dont think it had anything to do with the value- or they would have insured it-- its great to read about honest folk, amongst all the horendous threads we all read everyday! were they stupid...maybe( the couple that hid the ring)--- but this story made me smile :D

You're so right. After just reading about so many horrific crimes right here on WS, this was quite refreshing. I'm glad that this story got some publicity, too.

It reminds me of years ago. While I was grocery shopping, My then 9 yr. old daughter was riding her bicycle on our cul-de-sac street. She spotted a brown paper bag at the curb and stopped to check it. Inside was a white jeweler's box - and inside of that was an 11 diamond ring! She took it to my friend's, who promptly brought her inside with the ring and waited for me. When we got home, I explained to her that the ring may be someone's prized possession and we needed to call the police and report it. It took them several hours to come take the report and were quite amazed when they got a look at it! They explained that they would keep the ring for 90 days, and if no one claimed it by then, it would be hers. Each day, we marked off the days on a calendar. When the day arrived, we all went to the police station and they made a big to-do about my daughter turning in the ring. I felt I just had to teach my daughter that honesty is the best policy. The ring is still in our family to this day.

Sniffy38 said:
You're so right. After just reading about so many horrific crimes right here on WS, this was quite refreshing. I'm glad that this story got some publicity, too.

It reminds me of years ago. While I was grocery shopping, My then 9 yr. old daughter was riding her bicycle on our cul-de-sac street. She spotted a brown paper bag at the curb and stopped to check it. Inside was a white jeweler's box - and inside of that was an 11 diamond ring! She took it to my friend's, who promptly brought her inside with the ring and waited for me. When we got home, I explained to her that the ring may be someone's prized possession and we needed to call the police and report it. It took them several hours to come take the report and were quite amazed when they got a look at it! They explained that they would keep the ring for 90 days, and if no one claimed it by then, it would be hers. Each day, we marked off the days on a calendar. When the day arrived, we all went to the police station and they made a big to-do about my daughter turning in the ring. I felt I just had to teach my daughter that honesty is the best policy. The ring is still in our family to this day.
how sweet--- i bet she was sweating as the days got closer to being completly marked off--- hope she cherishes the ring---:blowkiss:

One kind deed will be repaid someday to this honest person. Good for him!

Reminds me of a saying my Mom allways taught us: One good deed deserves another. That is nice & refreshing to read....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back