Maybe He Should Have Stayed In School Instead . . .

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Bjorn Borg to auction off Wimbledon trophies

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Swedish tennis great Bjorn Borg will auction off his five Wimbledon trophies and two of his rackets to achieve "financial security," an auction house said Friday.

"Obviously, it is not easy to part with the trophies that symbolize all the tremendous effort, both physically and emotionally, that it took to win Wimbledon on five occasions," he said in a statement. "However, I do need to have some long-term financial security for those close to me."

Each racket is expected to sell anywhere from $17,500 to $26,200.

Since his career ended, Borg has been beleaguered by several failed financial ventures. A company that marketed clothing under his name ran into deep financial trouble in 1990 and was restructured.

According to the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet, the legal battle stemming from the failed company is still ongoing. The newspaper reported Friday that a creditor is planning to sue Borg for $1.4 million next month.

"Even though the symbols of my victories are being sold, what I will always retain is the knowledge that for such a long period I was the supreme world tennis champion," Borg said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-borg-auction&prov=ap&type=lgns

We saw this on the news, how sad, hopefully some sports museum will buy them. To think, you're a Wimbledon tennis champ and broke.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back