Ohio Man to Social Security: I'm Not Dead

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
CLEVELAND (AP) -- Eighty-one-year-old Myron Manders wants the Social Security Administration to know that he still is alive. The problem is, it doesn't seem to be listening.

Last November, Manders was preparing to leave a hospital where he was treated for pneumonia when a social worker said his insurance company would not pay the bill because it believed Manders died on Sept. 1.

William Jarrett, a Social Security spokesman in Cleveland, said Friday the mistake was due to an erroneous document. He could not disclose the error's source.

"It was a mistake on our part and we are apologetic," he said.

<!-- BEGIN MEDIA BOX NUMBER 2 --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=180 align=right><!-- BEGIN MEDIABOX 7988417 --><!-- $Id: MediaBox.java,v 1.5 2005/06/15 16:32:32 mike Exp $ --><TBODY><TR><!-- BEGIN MEDIABOX LEFT SIDE SPACER --><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD><!-- BOX_BOTTOM MEDIABOX LEFT SIDE SPACER --><TD></TD><!-- BEGIN MEDIABOX RIGHT SIDE SPACER --><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD><!-- BOX_BOTTOM MEDIABOX RIGHT SIDE SPACER --></TR><!-- BOX_BOTTOM MEDIABOX 7988417 --></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END MEDIA BOX NUMBER 2 -->

Manders' wife, Eunice, remembered that she first reacted to the news of her husband's alleged demise with anger.

"I never laughed about it," Myron Manders said.

Jarrett said Eunice Manders has been paid a survivor's benefit, which he said is now considered an overpayment she will be responsible for paying back, although she will have a right to appeal.

Manders, who describes himself as an almost-retired architect, sought to clear up the problem by showing up at a Social Security office. The in-person appearance did not help.

in my paper today

Ok, if his insurance won't pay his hospital bill because he's supposed to be dead then they should be able to keep the death benefit until it's straightened out. Hell, the death benefit is only a lousy 255 dollars anyway. It really gets me that anything they have coming to them won't be paid because of this but you can bet the government will be staying after them for the lousy 255. They should get the death certificate and slap it down on someones desk. That's his proof.

Hi BeeBee,

I feel bad for this man.
The hospital knows that he is alive but social security does not.I wonder if anyone posting here works for them and can help us understand how something like that can happen.

I would assume that this means his ongoing monthly SS check is stopped due to his "demise". When they finally get it all straighened out, they will probably deduct the overpayment from the amount owed to him, while he was dead.

Only in government offices can you be considered "dead", and still "recover" after an extended period.

>>Only in government offices can you be considered "dead", and still "recover" after an extended period.>>

ROFL!!!! Too rich!

Someone with a close social security number, or the same name probably died on September 1. I would think that's how they came to the conclusion that he had passed away. It's almost like getting your identity stolen, it takes a long long long time to get straightened out. IMHO, they should let him keep the supposed overpayment for all the trouble he's gone through.

This actually happened to me in November. The Ins. Co. that pays my itty bitty pension discovered I was dead,through SS,who had apparently decided to kill me. Everything stopped. Right before the Holidays. The turmoil was terrible and I would like to say so and so Investment Company sucks...not sure if I can say name tho. Anyway,the hard part is they don't have to prove I'm dead, I had to prove I am not dead,which,believe it or not,is different that trying to convince them you're alive. Keep in mind Credit Card companys don't care,and they have no sense of humour. How many people actually call a cc company and say hey..I was officially killed last month and my payments going to be a little late ??? So,half the problem is resolved right now,working on the other. In the mean time,my Vets office last week called and wanted to know why I was adopting another animal...a 150 miles from here...it wasn't me...just someone with all my info,using all my references.
Being dead aint all that easy.

NanaMcZoo said:
This actually happened to me in November. The Ins. Co. that pays my itty bitty pension discovered I was dead,through SS,who had apparently decided to kill me. Everything stopped. Right before the Holidays. The turmoil was terrible and I would like to say so and so Investment Company sucks...not sure if I can say name tho. Anyway,the hard part is they don't have to prove I'm dead, I had to prove I am not dead,which,believe it or not,is different that trying to convince them you're alive. Keep in mind Credit Card companys don't care,and they have no sense of humour. How many people actually call a cc company and say hey..I was officially killed last month and my payments going to be a little late ??? So,half the problem is resolved right now,working on the other. In the mean time,my Vets office last week called and wanted to know why I was adopting another animal...a 150 miles from here...it wasn't me...just someone with all my info,using all my references.
Being dead aint all that easy.

Bless your heart!I am sorry you have to go through this crap.I can't believe this is happening, but actually I can. Sue them next. Then you will get all the respect you deserve.

Lol..in order to sue next,I'd have to sue first...got anyone in mind?
Actually,I think this is happening with greater frequency lately. Oh well...live and learn....

So if a person shows up at a SS Office and says: Hey you accidently listed me as dead, and as you can see I am alive and breathing and then they don't accept it or don't believe it.

What else is a person surposed to do exactly......to prove they are still alive.:confused:

Well,first,you supply all the id you have,then they smile and tell you no problem,we will get this sorted out right away. Then you get moved to the back of the line. Then you get lost in the shuffle.Then you get people that deny ever talking to you. It goes on and on. And no one can explain why,when none of this was my fault anyway, I am the only one being inconvenienced. They get downright ugly when you point that out.My biggest problem tho,was with the investment company that pays my pension. Geeeeesh. You'd think the pitiful amount I get was responsible for the care and feeding of 10 million people or something.

ETA
Since being dead,I've also been called for jury duty,and I have to pay my property taxes next month as well. Dead or not. I called and checked:eek:

So you are listed as "dead" when it comes to receiving any money or pension, but you are listed as "alive and kicking" when it comes to paying money.

Makes perfect sense to me.........NOT.

The only advice as a Canadian I can give it to document everything.

Talk about a Kafka like SS administration.........gee

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back