25 yr old woman wanted to play with the elephant

vanillasky

Reaction score
WACO - A 25-year-old woman climbed past barriers and into an elephant's zoo exhibit, then crawled out with minor injuries after the 6,000-pound animal smacked her with its trunk.

<< snip >>

After saying she wanted to play with the elephant, the woman climbed over a 3-foot-high wood and wire fence, scaled an 8-foot-tall artificial rock structure and bypassed an electric wire before jumping into the exhibit Thursday afternoon, Fleshman said.

Full story: http://www.amarillo.com/stories/030406/new_4129117.shtml

I worked with a woman who broke into the wolf enclosure at the zoo because she and them were "of one heart". She was not on any drugs. The zoo people saw her and got her out of there QUICK.

The zoo took legal action against her and they had a restraining order put in place so that she could not go near the zoo grounds as she was unrepentant and insisted (even years later) that the wolves would never hurt her.

If anyone called her a
loser.gif
she just said that her connection with the "Wolfies" was misunderstood.

I think they need another one of those TV shows called "When Animals Attack...Morons". :loser:

Truly makes me believe that the fences/structures aren't to keep the animals in - it's to keep the people OUT. Maybe we just need to fence in the stoopid people ???

:-D
L

luckyevan93 said:
Truly makes me believe that the fences/structures aren't to keep the animals in - it's to keep the people OUT. Maybe we just need to fence in the stoopid people ???

:-D
L

LOL.. :laugh:

TheShadow said:
I think they need another one of those TV shows called "When Animals Attack...Morons". :loser:
Thats funny! People are just plain crazy these days....

PonderingThings said:
I worked with a woman who broke into the wolf enclosure at the zoo because she and them were "of one heart". She was not on any drugs. The zoo people saw her and got her out of there QUICK.

The zoo took legal action against her and they had a restraining order put in place so that she could not go near the zoo grounds as she was unrepentant and insisted (even years later) that the wolves would never hurt her.

If anyone called her a http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/loser.gif she just said that her connection with the "Wolfies" was misunderstood.
That reminds me of the subject of Werner Herzog's GRIZZLY MAN--a serverly deluded and clearly bi-polar man who lived amongst wild grizzlies in Alaska for several years before being killed and eaten by one. Watch it on Discovery if you haven't already.

I caught just a little of Grizzly Man. I was familiar with the story, but I had understood that the guy was a serious researcher. When I tuned in to Grizzly Man in the middle of the show I realized this guy was an idiot!! :doh: He reminded me of Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. DUDE!!!! If that grizzly hadn't gotten him, I might of had to smack him myself. :slap:

that movie was amazing. you really have to see the whole thing to appreciate it-- it's one that will really make you think & inspires a lot of discussion. timothy treadwell could be considered an 'idiot', of course, for his naivitie and strange behavior... his assumption that the bears were his 'pals'... but there was so much more than that going on. he really was just an innocent fool. he had no education in zoology or animal behavior, but wanted to get past all the red tape & all the damage that humans have done to wildlife and just have that connection to nature that we've lost in many ways. at first you think well, he only saw the good side of it--- but he kept saying they were going to kill him- it's almost as if he wanted it... like a form of suicide.. but as werner herzog said he knew he could do more good in death than in life, or so he hoped. he went about everything the wrong way but you gotta give him credit for just doing what he wanted the way he wanted- which was more than most of us ever have the guts to do!

if you can get past the annoyance of watching him 'play' nature expert, and his weird eccentricities, there is a lot going on in this film. it's really hilarious too- a friend of mine was convinced it was one of those fake documentaries- and i can totally see what they mean. the whole cast of characters is almost too bizarre to be real!

the guy will annoy the heck out of you, but the film is sad, funny, beautiful, haunting, charming, horrifying, ridiculous, hopeful..... just see it.

Anyone remember the man who hid out and stayed at Florida Sea World after clsoing time? He attempted to swim with the killer whale and was found naked and dead floating on the whales back the next day? His swim suit or underwear were also found in the tank I think. He must have watched Free Willy too many times. The whale was not accustomed to human contact, it was used primarily for breeding and he possibly drowned the man not knowing how to react to him. The man may have been held underwater too long as the whale played with him like a toy and succumbed to hypothermia (water was very cold) and drowned.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9907/06/killer.whale/

How dumb can you get? His parents tried to sue Sea World.

I mean I love animals too. But after watching tapes of elephants maul their handlers and reading about the guy who lost his genitals, nose, fingers and a foot to a chimp in a vicious attack at a private zoo. Or a lady nearly get dragged into a Panda cage. And remember Roy nearly being killed by his own white tiger who he had been with for years. Even Shamu once got rough with a lady who was in his tank for publicity photos - grabbing her leg and refusing to let go no matter what commands he was given. He did eventually let go and she was o.k. but it could have been tragic. I know that many animals don't necessarily love and admire us back in the same way that we admire and love them. They don't necessarily understand what is happening when people approach them. More than one admirer of grizzly bears has become their victim. I would never approach an elephant, chimp or any kind of bear or carnivore even a trained one anymore. I'll stick with dogs and cats and horses thank you very much and even they can be dangerous.

I mean I wouldn't climb into a yard with an unknown dog much less an elephant.

i agree.. it's great that so many people love animals-- but we all too often get this soft & fuzzy "disney' type view of animals.... & we forget that even the 'tame' ones are essentially wild creatures & can do some serious damage... that's one of the things that was so fascinating about the grizzly man film-- he seems to be in la-la land, but then really, he wasn't. after a while you just want the bear to eat him already, he keeps talking about it so much, but then in the end, it does, and you realize timothy wasn't that naive about it, he was tempting fate & almost expecting it, & was probably not that surprised when it happened!

I do intend to see the rest of Grizzly man. I mean I watched it for about 8 minutes and thought to myself "No wonder he got eaten!". But I was interested in the irony of his life story. Unfortunately humans tend to anthropomorphise. That is to project human emotions, motives and concepts onto the animals that they observe. We think they understand us and vice versa. Coco the gorilla can communicate with us in a rudimentary way (some argue this) but a gorilla is a lot more closely related to us than a grizzly or an elephant. I do believe that animals have amazing abilities, but I would never be foolish enough to think that they are interested in sharing and learning about us in the way we wish to with them. I couldn't believe the things people do at Yellowstone. Some idiot got hurt when he tried to put his 3 year old on a bison's back for a photo! A wild bison! People try to approach male moose in the rut season and get stomped on. Morons....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back