Runaway dolls high-tail it out of there

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
This is EMBARRASSING! I think anyway.....last night at our GLadiators game, they gave away runaway bride bobblehead dolls (complete w/jogging pants, veil and bus ticket stamped AQW or something like that!), the mascot had on a veil and the MAYOR of Duluth, came in with security gaurds and with a striped blanket over her head! This is RIDICULOUS!

AJC.com
The 5-inch doll, complete with tiara, veil, sweatshirt and sneakers, caused a "huge spike" in ticket sales, Augis said, and media interest from the BBC.

Just before the start of the game, Duluth Mayor Shirley Lasseter, who was critical of Wilbanks' decision to sell her story, did Maximus one better. Lasseter walked onto the ice for the honorary first puck drop flanked by security, her head shrouded in a striped blanket, similar to the one Wilbanks covered herself in when she was rushed through the Albuquerque airport last April.

I saw this on the news way out here in Oregon and I gotta admit...I laughed!
I thought it was pretty clever and I imagine it drew some folks in...

BTW...did she ever get married? Anyone heard anything?

Lynie

Here's a link!

Runaway Bride Bobblehead Dolls Go Quickly

DULUTH, Ga. - Like the woman who inspired their creation, Runaway Bride bobblehead dolls disappeared quickly during a sports promotion in her home town.
The dolls, given to the first 1,000 people through the doors at the Gwinnett Gladiators hockey game Sunday afternoon, were gone in about 10 minutes.
"If it wasn't the quickest (giveaway), it's pretty close to it," Doug Augis, the team's ticket sales director, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The 5-inch doll caused a "huge spike" in ticket sales, Augis said. Fans of hockey, kitsch and profit lined up more than three hours before the gates opened.
The team wryly advised that any similarity to an actual person, such as Duluth resident Jennifer Wilbanks, was "purely coincidental."

...The bobblehead features a generic woman's face, with a veil over her head, a sweat shirt that says "I (heart) Duluth," a pair of running shoes labeled "Adios" instead of Adidas and a picture of the state of Georgia on the back.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060306/ap_on_fe_st/runaway_bride_dolls

LOL ... they say any resesmblance to her is "purely coincidental".

Purely coincidental my arse! :slap:

PrayersForMaura said:
LOL ... they say any resesmblance to her is "purely coincidental".

Purely coincidental my arse! :slap:

I had to laugh. Seems to me that this is the least she could have expected.

Jeana (DP) said:
I had to laugh. Seems to me that this is the least she could have expected.
I wonder what will be next? In all the diners in that area there is "high tailin' hot sauce" on the tables with a cartoon of the run away bride. It's amazing all that has come from this.

christine2448 said:
I wonder what will be next? In all the diners in that area there is "high tailin' hot sauce" on the tables with a cartoon of the run away bride. It's amazing all that has come from this.

Something else to focus that's not so heavy?? I heard part of an interview that she gave the other day. I think maybe that helped fan the flames a little bit. People had stopped talking about her and then she had to open her big mouth!!

Jeana (DP) said:
Something else to focus that's not so heavy?? I heard part of an interview that she gave the other day. I think maybe that helped fan the flames a little bit. People had stopped talking about her and then she had to open her big mouth!!
LOL...it's unbelievable. I just still can't believe the Mayor of the town partcipated in that way....with the security gaurds and the blanket over her head, come on now!

christine2448 said:
LOL...it's unbelievable. I just still can't believe the Mayor of the town partcipated in that way....with the security gaurds and the blanket over her head, come on now!

That's not so bad! I live in a small town in Texas. Had she done that here, I think the mayor would have shot her himself. :D

christine2448 said:
Kind of reminds me of a comedy, like the Beverly Hillbillies or something! :eek:
:D

Just kidding. I would've loved to see it though!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley_erin
Back