855 users online (176 members and 679 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Try this one
    [url]http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3720&highlight=Kristin+Smart:
    TYBEE U WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED AND LOVED.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288

Thanks JDB!

I sooo remember this case. I graduated from Cal Poly in 1996, the year Kristin went missing. I did not know her as our areas of study were very different and she was younger than me.

I can't help but chuckle with glee at this latest turn of events! That the Smart family gets to dig up the Flores' yards, because the Flores' are suing them, is just too good to be true.

And Mrs. Flores suing for emotional distress...... what is that about!?! It's Kristin's mom and dad (and other family members) that should be suing for emotional distress! Mrs. Flores' child has not disappeared at the hands of another! And to Mrs. Flores - I would like to say that you are the worst type of parent - the kind that does not teach her child to take responsibility for his/her actions. Look at him now, in jail AGAIN, for the 3rd time for DUI. Will you tell him it is not his fault when he causes an accident and hurts someone else? Will you buy him "justice" again, then?

Okay - sorry everyone. I'm ranting I know, but this case is very frustrating and very close to home.

Bump

Bump -

I found Kristin Smart and thought she looked alot like the Maricopa Jane Doe. However there's too big of a discrepancy in height. However, I do think Kristin can be found, simply because how many women are 6'1". has anyone ran her stats against UID"s lately?

Does anyone know if her DNA has been entered into CODIS.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.sonofsusan.com/

Susan Flores' yard did not contain any evidence of Kristin Smart's body. The search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    http://www.sonofsusan.com/

Susan Flores' yard did not contain any evidence of Kristin Smart's body. The search continues.
    Wow. That actually surprises me a lot - I've followed this case since 1997, and I've always figured she was buried underneath the freshly poured concrete in the Flores' yard. I don't doubt for a second that Paul Flores is responsible for her death. I hope it haunts him.

I lived in the area at the time and followed this closely. It is a troubling case on many levels. Certainly, anytime a "nice" girl goes off to college and then falls prey to a campus predator, every parent feels a little fear for their own children. That fear is compounded when the crime goes unsolved. What is unique about this situation is that the victim's parents have waged what I would characterize as a campaign of harassment against the "prime suspect". Now I agree with most readers here that the "prime suspect" is "probably" guilty but clearly not "beyond all reasonable doubt". He was not prosecuted because they were insufficient admissible evidence. Cadaver dogs are not admissible for good reason. He made some inconsistent statements and he was the last person known to be with her but there is no forensic evidence and, of course, no body. There is no strong explanation for how the body was disposed of. The "prime suspect" had no known access to a vehicle and, if the body was placed in a dumpster, why did the extensive search of the landfill turn up nothing? Obviously this "negative" proves nothing but it does raise some reasonable doubt.

The parents of the victim put a billboard in the "prime suspects" home town that pretty much names him as the perp. They have also kept track of his movements and have made employers and landlords aware of their suspicions. The "prime suspect’s" life has been on a downward spiral ever since; spotty work history and multiple DUI's. This could be a result of the harassment or perhaps just the same character flaws that lead him to kill. His parents, particularly his mother, have suffered terribly through this and there is ZERO evidence that they had any role in any crime or cover-up. True, unlike the victim's parents, their child is still alive.

As a parent I sympathize with the victim's parents but I feel that they are out of line. In this particular case, I don't feel this board has played any active role in the harassment of the suspect but there are other cases where this board has been used for that purpose. Punishing someone because they "might" have commited a crime (whether it is incarceration or just this type of torment) is contrary to the western spirit of justice. That an innocent might have been punished is truley worse than the posibility that a guilty person escapes punishment.

I agree that some lines, between victim's family and possible perp, have been crossed here. But, I thought it was primarily Dennis Mahon-the guy from NC who created the "sonofsusan" website who has actually caused the most problems not Kristin's family? I could be wrong. I was unaware that they created a billboard in his hometown. How were they able to get that approved? I do remember something about the Flores family getting a restraining order and other charges (defamation of character, maybe) against Dennis Mahon.
    A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
    ~ Nelson Mandela

I agree. I'm pretty sure it's Dennis Mahon and NOT her parents that do all of that... read his site. He's gotten himself into a lot of trouble in the past.

Interesting video from 2005. Dennis Mahon (who is a victim's advocate, not a relative of the Smart family) speaks for the first 3 or 4 mins and then Susan Flores speaks for the last couple of mins.

Dennis Mahon/Susan Flores at Arroyo Grande City Council Meeting-April 2005

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=Dennis+MAhon

*I personally never understood why the focus was only on his parent's house or the dorm room. I realize they needed to start somewhere, he was a college student with no car and no other place of residence at that time other than the parent's house. But, after 12 years, the campus police and city police should have been able to brainstorm some other scenarios/theories.
    ~ Nelson Mandela

I assumed that Mahon was working with the Smart family; I may have been wrong. I'm pretty sure that the family put up the billboard but that was back in the late 1990's.

Apparently Susan Flores' yard was undergoing some work at the time of the disappearance and some cement was poured a few days later. This was the basis of the search warrant to dig up the yard. The mother aggressively fought the warrant. The obvious implication of this is that if the body was buried in the yard, the Mother must know about it and was actively involved in covering up the crime.

From the earliest days of the investigation, there was a certain cloud of suspicion hanging over Susan. The local press seemed to cast her in a negative light and there was rumor and speculation that Paul called her after he killed Kristin and she helped him dispose of the body. (There is no evidence that this is the case.) The family seemed to "circle the wagon" and Susan professed that Paul was innocent and was somewhat abrasive and hostile to the media (in contrast to the Smart family) Mahon's justification for the harassment of Susan was that it was to pressure her to consent to the "dig" in her yard and otherwise cooperate with the investigation. He clearly believes she knew something. The harassment probably had something to do with Susan’s decision to consent to the "dig" that tends to vindicate her.

Overall, I think a certain amount of animosity towards Susan is based on the assumption that when a child commits a serious crime, the mother is somehow at fault. While understandable, this is obviously an unfair and cruel judgment.

I didn't mean that Dennis Mahon had nothing to do with the family. Just that most of what Susan Flores considered harassing seems to have been done by him. Also, I'm not saying you're wrong about the billboard. I know that there are billboards of missing people, but a billboard that was defaming a specific person seems like it wouldn't even be legal. Unless you mean they put up a general "help find Kristen Smart" billboard in his town, which really shouldn't bother anyone.

I agree that the efforts should not just be focused on his family or his mother's house, like I said. I really think someone who was right there in that same dorm helped him, not his family. It would have stood out as too strange if someone's parents just showed up randomly in the middle of a weekend night on a college campus.

edited to add-the reason why they jumped right to the family is because they were given the general impression that Paul Flores had no friends and was considered weird. Based on that, they assumed that he would have not been able to get anyone in his immediate environment to help him. But, seriously, I find it hard to believe that there was not a single other student who was kind of in the same boat as him as far as not being popular and may have had no problem helping him out. Also, who knows how subjective the opinions on his level of popularity or weirdness were.
    ~ Nelson Mandela

Arroyo Grande is Paul Flores' home town; it is about 25 miles from Cal Poly. The billboard was in Arroyo Grande, not San Luis Obispo where the disappearance occurred. It was your general missing person message but it named Paul as the last person she was know to have been with. There was absolutely no reason to put the billboard there except that it was Paul's home town.

Paul lived in a campus Dorm although he was close to home. This proximity is significant because he could have called a friend from Arroyo Grande (or a family member). From what I have read, he was considered a little "odd" by others of campus but he played basketball regularly and he got himself invited to at lease one off campus party so he wasn't a total outcast. The police concluded that nobody on campus was close enough to him to commit a felony. They were less certain about Arroyo Grande friends but I got the impression that there was no particular suspect. I'm sure many friends and family members were questioned. No names surfaced.

I don't know about the billboard in AG, but there was a billboard at the bottom of the grade on Highway 101, going north, just outside the northern limits of San Luis Obispo.

Also, IIRC, Paul managed to disappear for about 4 hours the morning of Kristen's disappearance and was late for basketball practice that day. When he showed up, he had fresh lacerations on his face. This was part of why he became a POI.

Salem

Plus the dogs that hit on his dorm room...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast