995 users online (189 members and 806 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doogie
    We have not confirmed it yet, but it appears that Mark Longpre has moved on to a different newspaper. His byline hasn't been seen in the Review for a few months.
    I found this...

We have a new healthcare reporter at PRWeek, and his name is Marc Longpre. He joins us from the Bay Area, where he has been working at a weekly paper in Half Moon Bay.

http://www.prweek.com/us/blogs/showp...-f59087132403/

iNTERESTEDWOMAN is offline I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oil.

Two ways to skin a cat.

After looking at google satellite images of the area, I would have to say it has remarkably changed in the last 30 years. After pinpointing the area of the farm from Dr. Doogie's map on Yahoo, the area is now littered with what appears to be swimming pools, and at least one tennis court! I did find the attached Stable that offers a trail riding package to the public. It appears to be Very close to the area.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-4372261.html

<snip>

Skywood Stables, Veronica Underwood and Dan Wroten, Rancho Canada Verde, 2700 Purisima Creek Road, Half Moon Bay 94019; (415) 726-5188. Cost: $45 per person.
    The Chuck Wagon BBQ and Camp out includes a steak and corn-on-the-cob dinner with all the fixings. The riding pace is slow, perfect for beginners.

After the 2-hour ride through the ranch's private land, the guide can direct campers toward a cool stream for drinking, surrounded by redwoods. Bunks are available at the campsite. On most rides, a bluegrass band plays by lantern light.

<snip>

A group of Sleuths could sign up, and get a better idea of the climate, land form, soil type, and any hidden clues.
    I'm very interested in the soil type. Clay, sandy, fertile dirt ect. In the satellite image, the farm ground appears to be sandy/loamy.

Edited to add:

LOL, I guess I should check dates before spouting my mouth. This link is from a magazine article dated 10-1-86. Probably not offering horseback rides anymore! Sorry
    Last edited by iNTERESTEDWOMAN; 02-17-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iNTERESTEDWOMAN
    After looking at google satellite images of the area, I would have to say it has remarkably changed in the last 30 years. After pinpointing the area of the farm from Dr. Doogie's map on Yahoo, the area is now littered with what appears to be swimming pools, and at least one tennis court! I did find the attached Stable that offers a trail riding package to the public. It appears to be Very close to the area.

Skywood Stables, Veronica Underwood and Dan Wroten, Rancho Canada Verde, 2700 Purisima Creek Road, Half Moon Bay 94019

LOL, I guess I should check dates before spouting my mouth. This link is from a magazine article dated 10-1-86. Probably not offering horseback rides anymore! Sorry
    This is indeed the exact location of the ranch where our family lived, but the date of this listing puts it between the time we moved and the time the present owner (who rides herself but does not allow the public on her land) took over.

Yes, the area has changed tremendously since 1973. Lots of very fancy houses there now.

Horse Help??

Hi. The horseworld is connected by the types of horses and riding one does. I'm big time into horses and have pretty good contacts in the sport horse world, dressage, jumping and eventing and also know some top people in the western world.

If I can offer any assistance of trying to locate someone who knows the ranch owner personally I would be happy to give it a try.

Gayle

if she is not allowing anyone to search the property that means that the only way anyone can would to get a warant to search the property. Le would have to have a really good reason why they wanted to search the property and she would have no choice but to let them or face charges

Quote Originally Posted by rideforfun
    Hi. The horseworld is connected by the types of horses and riding one does. I'm big time into horses and have pretty good contacts in the sport horse world, dressage, jumping and eventing and also know some top people in the western world.

If I can offer any assistance of trying to locate someone who knows the ranch owner personally I would be happy to give it a try.

Gayle
    Thanks for your offer. I would note that the farm did have an active horse barn on it in the 80's. My sister in law is still very active in the riding community in Half Moon Bay and the eventing world. My neices and she actually ride at a barn that is close to the farm at another barn now. She used to ride at the barn that has been quoted in this string that was on the property where we lived. Since our celebrity purchased the property (640 acres) no one is allowed on the property however. She is a recluse and has a guard posted at the gate that is very gruff. He will not allow anyone through and won't even answer any questions of any kind. The property is closed to anyone but our singing celebrity and her immediate associates.

I have heard antedotal stories that this "celebrity" is so stand-offish that when greeted by other horse-riders on the trail, she just ignores them and rides on. Because of this, I doubt that we would have access even through acquaintances.

The funny thing is, she is far from being a "star" - she had a couple of minor hits in the 1980's and seems to think that she is Elvis or Michael Jackson when it comes to a need for seclusion. In contrast, Neil Young (an infinitely bigger "star") lives in the same general area and freely interacts with the locals with no trouble or harrassment.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Okay, I have to ask. Who is the reclusive celeb that we're talking about? I can admit it-- I'm nosy and curious and I want to know. Can someone divulge the name? Unless of course there's some compelling reason not to disclose her name.

The song says her friend has a "Fast Car"

Wow - when you said she sung about social issues you weren't kidding. I wouldn't have guessed she'd be that way.
    We walk, and our true character is shown in how we
    walk. Living in this world means choosing, and
    the way we choose to walk is infallibly and
    perfectly expressed in the walk itself.

WWBD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebell
    Wow - when you said she sung about social issues you weren't kidding. I wouldn't have guessed she'd be that way.
    Sometimes its easier to be concerned about "humanity" than it is to be concerned with individual humans.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

A little note here...Many 'celebritites' do not want their privacy and home revealed to the public, or in a public way because they are followed, worshipped or otherwise stalked by a person that scares or threatens them.( I have 2 friends who are celebrities, and the stories are frightening, what they endure)

I know I would be afraid if that was my situation.(this is purely speculative on my part) The other thing is that she may be well aware of the past history of the place, and feel that she would not like to open any 'karmic' doors of the land she lives on...there could be alot about it all that we cannot imagine she might be thinking of in this situation. Who knows? I would want to help, but people have many reasons for their choices...There might be a time and place she will be more receptive to Annasmom, if the situation should arise, at least, I believe that in my heart.

It is entirely possible that she has had negative experiences and that leads her to be recluesive. Let's pray that should we ever have a serious need to check something out on her property we could find a way to work with her.

I am not aware of her at all in the horse world so perhaps she is a person who just loves animals and her horse experiences are part of that passion. I saw she was going to study to be a vet when she started college.

It seems we have good avenues to explore without her involvement at this point. If we ever really need her I'm confident we could find an avenue through personal connections of some sort.

I wish her well. Thanks to all for clarfication.

Gayle

Quote Originally Posted by Annasbro
    The song says her friend has a "Fast Car"
    Tracy C? (are we not supposed to say her name? I will edit my post if so). I love her music and have most of her cd's. Disappointed.
    Her music sounds just the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by rideforfun
    It is entirely possible that she has had negative experiences and that leads her to be recluesive. Let's pray that should we ever have a serious need to check something out on her property we could find a way to work with her.I am not aware of her at all in the horse world so perhaps she is a person who just loves animals and her horse experiences are part of that passion. I saw she was going to study to be a vet when she started college.
    It seems we have good avenues to explore without her involvement at this point. If we ever really need her I'm confident we could find an avenue through personal connections of some sort.
    Gayle
    Rideforfun, did you get my PM?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast