825 users online (159 members and 666 guests)  

Websleuths News

Warning: Formosan Termites

With the destruction of so many homes, and trees, in Louisiana, there is concern about the spread of Formosan termites, through mulch that is produced from some of the debris from that area. The Formosan termite is the most destructive insect in Louisiana.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/enviro...osan_termites/

That's not true. I heard a news story about it. They said its a rumor. They don't use any materials from homes in the mulch because there's too many chemicals, etc. and the trees are quarantaneed before it ever gets to the mulch stage!!

sharpar is offline If dogs dont go to heaven I want to go where they are
    Termites would not survive the mulching or packaging process - this is indeed a

hoax .

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    With the destruction of so many homes, and trees, in Louisiana, there is concern about the spread of Formosan termites, through mulch that is produced from some of the debris from that area. The Formosan termite is the most destructive insect in Louisiana.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/enviro...osan_termites/
    This is a hoax.... see here http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/termites.asp

I too heard the same...no New Orleans termites here!!

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448
    Being in close proximity, to Louisiana, I think those very formidable Formosan termites are going to be mulching homes in Georgia in a relatively short period of time. Don't say we didn't forewarn you. LOL.

Being in close proximity, to Louisiana, I think those very formidable Formosan termites are going to be mulching homes in Georgia in a relatively short period of time. Don't say we didn't forewarn you. LOL.
    Yeah, thanks for the headsup buzz

I'll be watching the surrounding states for outbreaks of the fierce Formosan termites.

I'll be watching the surrounding states for outbreaks of the fierce Formosan termites.
    They are already here in SoCal. Beware Buzz.
    Actually the house deal I just backed out of had 30k worth of termite damage. Do you think they were formosan?

Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    They are already here in SoCal. Beware Buzz.
    Actually the house deal I just backed out of had 30k worth of termite damage. Do you think they were formosan?
    No doubt about it JBean; it has been said that the average Formosan termite can do $1,000 dollars worth of damage in a year--so all it took was sixty Formosan termites to do $30,000 dollars worth of damage in the last six months (when they fled New Orleans because of impending Katrina).

Sorry to hear about you still hanging--what's your backup plan as of today??

Lifesize picture of a male Formosan termite. The females are considerably larger.

http://tinyurl.com/j9sc4

Gross bug!