All Those D's

beesy

myspace.com/beesy_boo
Reaction score
Springer notes that many psychologists believe naming members of the same family names which begin with the same letter is a symptom of fear of rejection and separation. That it shows a lack of bonding with their own mothers and is a way of keeping people at bay but appearing close because of the cutesy names. It's also a great attention-grabber. Flesh and Blood page 86
We've got 2 parents who come from families who did that, even the same letter for goodness sake.
So maybe it's not just silly, maybe it shows something about their emotional well-being. I mean come on people, the dog too!?
Does anybody know about this sort of thing?

I dont but it sounds silly to me, but what do I know, lol.....I know a family who everyone has there name start with J.

michelle said:
I dont but it sounds silly to me, but what do I know, lol.....I know a family who everyone has there name start with J.
What sounds silly? That it means something or that they all have D names? I don't know what I think about it. That's why I wanted some feedback. It is an attention-getter and we all know they love attention!

I know a nutty attention seeking type woman who has 4 sons by 3 different men. Her name and all her son's start with a "J". I also know another nutty woman who has been married 4 times and she thinks it is so cute how her initials have always stayed M.S.

beesy said:
What sounds silly? That it means something or that they all have D names? I don't know what I think about it. That's why I wanted some feedback. It is an attention-getter and we all know they love attention!
I think its silly that it means something. I know they are attention-getters, but I dont think them having all D's means anything other then them just having all D's.

Reseacher Robert Plank says it is harmful to do this. He states that people have identity issues when parents do this, even if they are twins.

beesy said:
Springer notes that many psychologists believe naming members of the same family names which begin with the same letter is a symptom of fear of rejection and separation. That it shows a lack of bonding with their own mothers and is a way of keeping people at bay but appearing close because of the cutesy names. It's also a great attention-grabber. Flesh and Blood page 86
We've got 2 parents who come from families who did that, even the same letter for goodness sake.
So maybe it's not just silly, maybe it shows something about their emotional well-being. I mean come on people, the dog too!?
Does anybody know about this sort of thing?
I'm sure I once read that all Bill Cosby's children have names that start with the letter E...which was supposed to stand for "Excellent" or "Excellence". So no pressure on them then!

If I'd grown up in a family where we all had names starting with the same letter I'm pretty sure I'd have a few "identity issues"...it seems a bit sad to scrabble around looking for another name that starts with a "D", rather than finding a name that really suits your newborn baby...I think names are very important. I'd much rather have the name I have because my parents chose it for me, because they really loved the name, rather than because they had to come up with a name that started with the letter A...

britgirl said:
I'm sure I once read that all Bill Cosby's children have names that start with the letter E...which was supposed to stand for "Excellent" or "Excellence". So no pressure on them then!
No, not at all! Would an L stand for "Loser"? And there's George Forman who named all of his kids "George". Sheese
If I'd grown up in a family where we all had names starting with the same letter I'm pretty sure I'd have a few "identity issues"...it seems a bit sad to scrabble around looking for another name that starts with a "D", rather than finding a name that really suits your newborn baby...I think names are very important. I'd much rather have the name I have because my parents chose it for me, because they really loved the name, rather than because they had to come up with a name that started with the letter A
I had never thought about it that way! You're right though! Basically all they did was look at the "D's" in the baby name book. It's funny, most people spend so much time picking out a name which they love(as you said) and which will fit the times and flow well, all the Routier's did was worry about the D.

beesy said:
No, not at all! Would an L stand for "Loser"? And there's George Forman who named all of his kids "George". Sheese
I had never thought about it that way! You're right though! Basically all they did was look at the "D's" in the baby name book. It's funny, most people spend so much time picking out a name which they love(as you said) and which will fit the times and flow well, all the Routier's did was worry about the D.
He called all his children George???!!! Please, not the girls too...

All my brothers family first names start with A including his. I dont think there is an identity crisis but the opposite. The rest of us just shrug its so my brother. Even the dogs names begin with an " A" .

sharpar said:
All my brothers family first names start with A including his. I dont think there is an identity crisis but the opposite. The rest of us just shrug its so my brother. Even the dogs names begin with an " A" .
My sons name is Jacob, and If we have more I want to name a girl Jordan and if its a boy I love Jude. DH doesnt like Jude though, lol...I dont think it really means anything, I know a family that the hubby and wife and 5 kids all start with J.

I'm Jennifer and my brother is Jason. My much younger sister got to break the cycle when my parents couldn't think of another J name they really loved. I was 9, and when asked for input I picked Leia which they named her. I was REALLY into Star Wars. ha Funny thing is I named my son Joshua, and only afterward was told by my Mother that Joshua had been the other name she was torn between for my brother. Maybe we do have issues!:D

Interesting theory, but I'm not inclined to read much into it.

Our two kiddos' names both start with C, but it wasn't by any particular plan or design. We liked the name Christopher for our son, and when we had a girl, my wife had picked the name Charlene ever since she was in high school (No way I was opposing that one!)

Jim

I like the name Valerie. I don't know why. I have no one in my family named that. I named my daughter Paige. Which I still love to this day and she does too. But, if, I had another child I would name her Valerie.

JimPence said:
Interesting theory, but I'm not inclined to read much into it.

Our two kiddos' names both start with C, but it wasn't by any particular plan or design. We liked the name Christopher for our son, and when we had a girl, my wife had picked the name Charlene ever since she was in high school (No way I was opposing that one!)

Jim
I have a Christopher also. My first born son.:D

My older sister and I are both C's with our little sister breaking the cycle, supposedly the doctor told my dad "its another girl what are you going to call her "and he said "dammit" and my mom said "Janet why thats a pretty name."
LOL, LOL, we always knew growing up my dad wanted a boy- each time a girl.

I didn't do this on purpose but my kids have initials that are SR, DR, AND JR, they also all have the letter R in the middle of their names.

britgirl said:
He called all his children George???!!! Please, not the girls too...

Oh yes he sure did. And his daughter's name is Georgette, Georgina or something like that.

One of my best friends married a girl and they both have the same initials. Their kids (2 so far) also have the same initials. They plan to have 5 kids with all their names starting with a "C" and will name their boat the "Seven C's" :rolleyes: :D

kato said:
Oh yes he sure did. And his daughter's name is Georgette, Georgina or something like that.
LOL...that is sad!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back