735 users online (112 members and 623 guests)  

Websleuths News

NJ - Maria Reyes, 48, Pompton Lakes, March 1976

30 years ago...

Maria Reyes
    Missing since March, 1976 from Pompton Lakes, Passaic County, New Jersey.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 48 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 80 - 90 lbs.
    Marks, Scars: She had recently undergone a mastectomy.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Reyes was reported missing by a close friend on March 22, 1976. A housekeeper said she missed her doctor's appointment on the date she was reported missing. Her husband who is now deceased, told police she packed her things and left home but investigators thought she would be too weak after her recent surgery, weighing only 80-90 pounds, to do so.

The case is unsolved and her body has never been found. Reyes has ties to Chile and relatives there but authorities in Santiago, Chile said she had not re-entered the country during the time period she was missing.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Pompton Lakes Police Department
    973-835-0069

Source Information
    The Doe Network: Case File 513DFNJ

Link:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/513dfnj.html
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 05-01-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: updated doe network link

While looking into the possibility of a serial killer working Rt 80 from NJ into PA, I found the following report....

1990-partial skeleton of 20-30 year old white female found in Wayne NJ, believed deceased in 1985

As I recall, authorities had difficulty dating the remains, but believed them to have been at least five years old. Wayne is about 8 miles from Pompton Lakes.

Possible?

There is an UID in Texas that was found 22 yrs after Ms Reyes went missing. The reconstruction looks possible as a match to her. What do you wonderfully talented comparison sleuths think? I'm not very good at this.
    www.doenetwork.org/cases/227uftx.html

40 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugie View Post
    There is an UID in Texas that was found 22 yrs after Ms Reyes went missing. The reconstruction looks possible as a match to her. What do you wonderfully talented comparison sleuths think? I'm not very good at this.
    www.doenetwork.org/cases/227uftx.html

The reconstructions of the Jane Doe do look a lot like the photos of Ms Reyes. However, Ms. Reyes would have been 70 years old at the time of the death of the woman in Texas.

Next Month marks the 40 year anniversary of Maria's disappearance.

NamUs entry

Maria has been missing for 38 years today.
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/13012
    Status Missing
    First name Maria
    Middle name Aravena
    Last name Reyes
    Nickname/Alias
    Date last seen March 19, 1976 00:00
    Date entered 11/21/2011
    Age last seen 49 to years old
    Age now 87 years old
    Race White
    Ethnicity Hispanic/Latino
    Sex Female
    Height (inches) 58.0
    Weight (pounds) 85.0
    Attached Images Attached Images

Missing-person case from 1976 haunts retiring Pompton Lakes detective

POMPTON LAKES – When Lt. William Jernstedt made it into the borough's detective bureau, he came across a big, brown folder on the missing person case of Maria Reyes. Reyes disappeared in 1976 in an unsolved case shrouded in theories and rumors. The mystery ensnared Jernstedt and he decided to take it upon himself to try to find Reyes' body.

"I would go out on my own," said Jernstedt, who just retired from the Pompton Lakes Police Department after a 27-year career. "I walked around her house so many times. That was the one case that I needed to solve. I wanted to bring this woman home just for her family down in Chile."

Jernstedt said Reyes had just had a mastectomy and was released from Chilton Hospital days before she went missing. She weighed 90 pounds and could barely walk. Despite her frailty, her husband, the main suspect in the case, said he last saw her walking away with a friend carrying two suitcases containing all her clothes.

"There's no way she would've been able to carry anything," Jernstedt said. "I even talked to her best friend who reported her missing. Dolly Lopez said this woman could hardly even walk, nevermind even carry anything."
    Read more: http://www.northjersey.com/story/new...ive/534941001/