754 users online (82 members and 672 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mad Cow

An Alabama cow is the third U.S. animal to test positive for the disease, and America is still only testing 1% of animals, as opposed to 35% in Europe and 100% in Japan. Additionally, the USDA does not have a sophisticated system to track the herd of an infected animal.

I'm so pissed about this I can't stand it. You can have this disease for years before it starts causing swiss cheese-like holes in your brain. The symptoms start out like dimentia and then progress into convulsions. It's a horrible way to die.

The proteins that cause it CANNOT BE CLEANED from the equipment used in slaughter. Nothing will kill or destroy it except some ungodly heat of 800 degrees or something like that.

I am going to quit eating any beef unless I buy the free range fully tested stuff from Whole Foods or something.

They feed dead cows and cow's blood to cows along with poultry droppings. Yummy.

Why are we so stupid?

Hey Ziggy, just posted on another thread, we gave up all beef about 2 years ago due to the risk of Mad Cow. We get along just fine with turkey, lamb, chicken, fish, and now pork/ham. I don't miss beef that much.

There is a beef industry/USDA conspiracy to keep the real prevalence of Mad Cow under wraps IMO. Robin Cook even wrote a scary novel about it.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

<walking away from the burger I was eating for lunch>

Morningstar Veggie burgers work for me!!
    Freethought is a philosophy not a policy-
    "The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."

Quote Originally Posted by indigomood
    http://bestsmileys.com/silly/13.gif

Morningstar Veggie burgers work for me!!
    OMGosh...I LOVE your smilie!!!!!

At least this cow wasn't yet used for food. It was a 10 year old beef cow that wasn't slated for slaughter.

U.S. regulators in 1997 banned the use in cattle feed of any meat and bone meal from animals susceptible to brain-wasting illnessesócows, sheep, goats, deer and elk. Cattle protein can be used in hog, horse and poultry feed, however.

So I wouldn't think I was safe to eat pork or poultry if that is the case. Not sure, but if it can kill a human surely it would harm a hog or chicken in the same way.

From the reports I've heard in the past few days, the animals that have been caught with this disease are the older ones, before 1997, and were prolly fed with that diet that is now changed.

But how many are slipping by? I agree we need a tougher review system.

Quote Originally Posted by deandaniellws
    OMGosh...I LOVE your smilie!!!!!
    LOL

right click on it and save to your computer, you never know when you'll need a mad cow emoticon
    Freethought is a philosophy not a policy-
    "The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."

Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama
    At least this cow wasn't yet used for food. It was a 10 year old beef cow that wasn't slated for slaughter.

U.S. regulators in 1997 banned the use in cattle feed of any meat and bone meal from animals susceptible to brain-wasting illnessesócows, sheep, goats, deer and elk. Cattle protein can be used in hog, horse and poultry feed, however.

So I wouldn't think I was safe to eat pork or poultry if that is the case. Not sure, but if it can kill a human surely it would harm a hog or chicken in the same way.

From the reports I've heard in the past few days, the animals that have been caught with this disease are the older ones, before 1997, and were prolly fed with that diet that is now changed.

But how many are slipping by? I agree we need a tougher review system.
    It depends on how the pork and poultry is first prepared then cooked.
    If its ground, you need to super-cook it. If its in strip format, there's not much to worry about. And skip the organs altogether.
    The mad cow in England was as virulent as it was because the Brits do tend to eat a lot of ground up organ meat: brains, tongues, eyes, livers, kidneys, blood etc.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    It depends on how the pork and poultry is first prepared then cooked.
    If its ground, you need to super-cook it. If its in strip format, there's not much to worry about. And skip the organs altogether.
    The mad cow in England was as virulent as it was because the Brits do tend to eat a lot of ground up organ meat: brains, tongues, eyes, livers, kidneys, blood etc.
    Well, thank goodness that isn't me. I over cook everything. And I won't eat those other parts. I am so glad I have had dinner or it would all be over for me.

Out here in the sticks alot of folks eat a lot of tripe, chitlins, chicken livers, tongue, head cheese etc. Some I'm sure are safe, they raise their own beef cattle, chicken, pigs and goats and I know for a fact that they only feed organic...others I'm not so sure about. I'll def pass along the info about the organs.

Yes, correct - provisions were put in place but apparently they are not being followed or enforced and we are still feeding cows to cows.

I can't understand why herbivores (sp?) need the animal protein. Also, why feed the poo of animals to other animals that we eat? There is something very wrong about that. Eventually, they say the bird flu will go through the droppings and may be passed onto the beef etc.

I think I might have to buy a farm and raise my own

A friend of mine is from a cattle family and she has said that the worst thing you can do is buy the hamburger that comes in the plastic chubs. Those are processed at the slaughter house and prepackaged before transport to the stores.

A couple of our local stores grind their own ( it may not be on site, but like a co-op) and know exactly where their cows come from...

And you are right, really it is only the ground meat or organs that carry the disease. Steaks, roasts etc seem to be okay...We are definatly a red meat family so I have searched out the options!

And I love Morningstar Farms too!!! I am not a vegetarian but love their corndogs, burgers and sausage patties. Very tasty and healthy! I never would have guessed....

Lynie

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    An Alabama cow is the third U.S. animal to test positive for the disease, and America is still only testing 1% of animals, as opposed to 35% in Europe and 100% in Japan. Additionally, the USDA does not have a sophisticated system to track the herd of an infected animal.
    This REALLY surprised me. Thanks for the info.

Yes, correct - provisions were put in place but apparently they are not being followed or enforced and we are still feeding cows to cows.

I can't understand why herbivores (sp?) need the animal protein. Also, why feed the poo of animals to other animals that we eat? There is something very wrong about that. Eventually, they say the bird flu will go through the droppings and may be passed onto the beef etc.

Remember--mad cow can occur spontaneously as well. You don't need to feed a cow a diseased cow (or in Britian's case, diseased sheep) for it to occur.

Ever watch cows out in a field? They eat each others poop all the time--especially if its on top of a tasty patch of grass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast