1177 users online (245 members and 932 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OR - Stivers family of 6, Ashland, 2006

This is truly scary. Hope they are ok

*snip*
    It's been 10 days since anyone has heard from an Ashland family that left town in an RV for what was supposed to be an overnight trip to the coast.

Friends, family and co-workers say it's uncharacteristic of Peter Stivers and Marlo Hill-Stivers not to check in with them.

Since they left town, their ATM card has not been used and calls to Hill-Stivers' cell phone have gone straight to voice mail, Smith said. "That's what's taken this to a different level for us," he said.

They also left a pet bird in their Ashland apartment and departed a day before they normally get paid, leading friends and family to think that the couple didn't just skip town on a whim.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...730.xml&coll=7

JellyBean

Additional links:

Picture at this link- http://www.dailytidings.com/2006/Mar...ssingfam.shtml

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...bfamily14.html

Could they have had an accident and not been discovered?

JellyBean

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    Could they have had an accident and not been discovered?

JellyBean

Jelly, remember that case we just read about where the found a man in his car that had been missing for years and years? I hope that this family didn't drive off the road and into water. They're a beautiful family and I hope they're ok.

I hope they checked their computer to see if they were looking at google maps. This is very strange and I feel like they must be in danger. I hope the helicopters are searching the roadways that head toward the coast.

hard to think murder-suicide with so many adults in the party. i am fearful that they have met with an accident and have not been discovered.

25 or so years ago there was a case in dallas where an entire family of 4 drown in an area lake. when they were discovered missing there was meat on the counter of there home, left to de-frost as if they would be returning for dinner. when the bodies were found a few days later it was speculated that one of the children, or even both, got in trouble in the water and the parents went in to save the one, or both, and then they inturn drown as well. so these freak accidents can happen.

Has anyone looked at a map to see possible routes to the coast from their town?
    They could have traveled Rt 5 to 199 which would take them to the Crescent Beach area. That trip should only take 3 hours.
    I wonder if the grandparents credit cards were checked. They would have to buy gas and pay a rental space for the RV.
    Someone should be calling all the RV camps to see if they had a reservation or ever arrived.

Mother on Greta. Her daughter had never seen the ocean. Didn't know their destination, but said the daughter was taking her camera.

Here's a link to the Crescent Beach overlook and area. Beautiful and definite a place to want to see. It looks very mountainous and probably dangerous in snowy weather. I hope they are looking for them there.
    http://www.inn-california.com/redwoo...toverlook.html

I've been following this story since it broke -- things like this just never happen. I keep thinking surely it was an accident -- how could a criminal hide a mobile home and 6 people?

God forbid it was a crime, is all I have to say. If it was, and it remains unsolved, I sure wouldn't want to be living up in that area until it was solved.

Steve

I live in Central Point, about 11 miles north of Ashland. The route to the coast on 199 is very narrow and winding for about half the way. The Rogue River runs along the road for most of it. When we drove over in an SUV, it started to make me carsick becasue it was so crooked. Just before you get to the Coast you go through big redwoods. You connect to Hwy 1, which runs along the coastline and is a busy highway. The closest town north for a scenic beach would be Brookings, then Gold Beach.

Here's a link to the local newspaper with the last information I could find. I will keep searching.

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2...es/03local.htm

Hi fundiva...thanks for posting that link. This certainly is perplexing, I mean how can you lose an RV?

However, the weather there has been very snowy since they disappeared hasn't it? I know there are very few routes to the beach from there, if they were going to Brookings area. What about crossing over to No. Cal and heading over from there? Those mountain roads aren't the biggest or best, I would think if they were traveling during the snow days it would be VERY easy to slide off the mountainside, and there are plenty of mountainsides!

Isn't it kinda weird to have lived in Ashland for a while and never have seen the ocean? Especially when you have kids? Or was the mother talking about the MIL from Arizona?

Can you tell I am a Southern Oregon girl myself I am in Beaverton now, but do miss the Rogue River Valley at times! In fact will be in Central Point in July for a reunion....

Lynie

Their cellphone not being used is a big worry to me. Guess they could be out of range. No atm usage either though. It leads me to believe whatever happened had to have occurred their first day out. Most on an outing would call to say they arrived or stop at an atm or use a debit card.

I am believing this was a terrible accident as yet undiscovered.

I lived on the Oregon Coast for many years. I can tell you that any and all of the roads going from I-5 over to the coast are very curvey and windy. They are also single lane for long stretches and generally run along a river. The roads are dug out from mountainsides and have frequent mudslides. My gut feeling here is that this family was involved in an accident. I got the impression from one of the articles that this was to be a day trip, since neither cashed their paychecks before leaving.

I hope the family can soon have some answers.

i am wondering how experienced the driver of the RV was with driving it and what kind of shape the RV itself was in. i am thinking brake or steering failure and the rig went over a cliff.

or, they "dry docked" to camp (meaning they did not have plug-ins for electricity, ran their generator for heat and were poisoned by carbon monoxide. awful to think about.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast