MD MD - Toya Hill, 8, Baltimore, 24 March 1982

Richard

Reaction score
This little girl went missing 24 years ago this month...

Toya Hill
Missing since March 24, 1982 from Baltimore, Maryland.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: August 24, 1973
Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 80 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Black hair; brown eyes. Hill wears eyeglasses.
Other: DNA available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Hill left her home at 206 South Spring Court, Baltimore, Maryland, on March 24, 1982 to walk to a nearby store. She never arrived at the business and has never been seen again. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Hill's whereabouts, please contact:
Baltimore Police Department
Missing Persons Unit
Detective Mingle
443-984-7385 443-984-7387
Fax: 410-243-8683

Agency Case Number: 82-2C47385
NCIC Number: M-090396448
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Doe Network: Case File 179DFMD

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/179dfmd.html

Reminds me of a question I've had about another case. Melody McKoy in 1991 disappeared in Baltimore. Wonder how far apart.

I had never heard of that little girl.....

25 years have now passed since Toya Hill disappeared. Has anyone seen any updates or anniversary articles?

25 years have now passed since Toya Hill disappeared. Has anyone seen any updates or anniversary articles?

I did a quick "Google" and didn't hit on any newspaper articles about Toya. I pulled up the Baltimore Sun and entered Toya's name in the search box, and nothing came up.

It is a shame if no anniversary article was written about Toya. To think that she just left her home and seemingly fell off the face of the earth.

I have a few cases that I am really interested in, and as the anniversary date of each case approaches, I contact local newspapers and television stations as a reminder. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but every little bit helps. If just one person reads an article or sees a story about a cold case and it makes them remember something, maybe some of these old cases could be solved.

Is there any more inforrmation on Toya Hill other than she wore glasses . Like is it listed anywhere what she was wearing and whether her nails were painted or any small details like that? All of the listings I have found list the same thing as Doe network. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/179dfmd.html

But I found a listing of little girl who was found in Missouri and they seem similiar. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/54ufmo.html I just thought I would ask if anyone knew of any other information. thanks

Yes they seem to match dont they? How could a little girl of that young age never be claimed by her family? Heartbreaking...

Looking at the information on the doe, it seems she was much taller then Toya. But 4'10" seems really tall for a 9 year old too. One news article I found about the doe reported her as 5'4". I think that has been wrong since "well nourished" and 70 lbs for 5'4" can't be right. It seems to me that this would of been looked into a LONG time ago but who knows...
I have a bad impression of the Maryland system and I kind feel like this girl was probably found and buried a long time ago...unidentified.

Does anyone know if the Doe Network puts up all Does or just the ones the Agencies allow? There are quite a few on GBI Georgia but I don't think they are all listed .
Some of the listed ones are older (age wise) but on their site they have a few toddlers and I have looked through and would never post that here for a comparison or feedback . I just can't even think about that. I am guessing that is why not all are up maybe, that is something you would need to submit on your own.
Everyone knows by now I don't handle the baby things very well . It gets my Irish up.

Stories about Toya were published in several Frederick and Annapolis, Maryland and Syracuse, New York newspapers.

They say she was 8yo and last seen at the grocery store by playmates. Toya was seen talking to two men outside the store. The mother last saw Toya when she left to have her wedding dress fitted.

The mother, Annette Martin Poindexter, got married on the Saturday after the Toya disappeared (Wednesday the 24th). She married John Poindexter. Toya was supposed to be the flower girl. Mother said she broke down during the ceremony and vowed not to open the wedding presents until Toya returned.

Quotes from mom - "The pressure's really great now. I'm just trying to cope. Everything's is like falling apart instead of coming together like it should when you get married. I'm leaving it in the hands of the Lord. If something's happened to her I know she's with the Lord. I just don't want her to suffer. But the not knowing anything, the pressure's just really bad.

A month later, police said they had no clues and there was only one other unsolved missing child case in Baltimore in the previous 4 years. LE said the two men seen with Toya at the grocery store, moms former boyfriend and his friend, are cleared as suspects. LE said there was not much they could do.

Toya was a third grader at City Springs Elementary School. She lived in a public housing project. A neighborhood social group called Gentlemen of Reality was helping to raise money for a reward.

No description of her clothing, height, weight, Toya's father, etc. Not even a picture of her with the articles.

I looked through the Maryland Court System website and found Mom, Antionette was divorced from John Poindexter, 5/29/84 after filing for divorce in July of 1983. And I also found that Toya was legally declared dead on 7/30/90.

Yes they seem to match dont they? How could a little girl of that young age never be claimed by her family? Heartbreaking...

I think it depends on who they had to run any Dentals or DNA at the time.

(I know if Suzanne4444 reads this she will say "Who submitted this? or Ruled out?)

It's a Stone Wall she is hitting constantly.

How is this information handled ? 1982 is a long time ago..... Who updates it?

I have a couple of thoughts. Doesn't it seem strange that the mom got married 3 days after her daughter goes missing? I think I'd be a puddle on the floor, unable to do anything but search for my daughter.

And why would you have a child declared dead 8 years after they've disappeared? It's highly unlikely this child had any assets, such as life insurance or property, and I'm curious about what other reasons there could be. Are missing children, such as Shawn Hornbeck, normally declared dead?

Does anyone know if the Doe Network puts up all Does or just the ones the Agencies allow?

Basically, unidentified victims must have died in 2005 or before, and case be filed with LE. Also have to have an image or picture of victim, identifying marks, clothing, something of that nature. Hot Cases (2006 & 2007) must be requested by LE.

And why would you have a child declared dead 8 years after they've disappeared? It's highly unlikely this child had any assets, such as life insurance or property, and I'm curious about what other reasons there could be. Are missing children, such as Shawn Hornbeck, normally declared dead?

I've seen lots of cases with missing children were declared legally dead. Usually it's done for one or both of the following reasons.

1. It offers some sense of closure for the family, in the same way a funeral does.

and/or

2. Sometimes children do have assets, like a trust fund or a life insurance policy which their parents can claim once the child is declared dead. Until I was 18 my parents had a life insurance policy for me, worth a couple of grand. It was to pay for my funeral if I died. One missing eight-year-old, Cherrie Mahan, had some money from a settlement, a car accident where she'd been injured. Her parents gave the settlement to Cherrie's brother after Cherrie was declared dead.

Stories about Toya were published in several Frederick and Annapolis, Maryland and Syracuse, New York newspapers....

LE said the two men seen with Toya at the grocery store, moms former boyfriend and his friend, are cleared as suspects. LE said there was not much they could do.....

Just exactly who were these two individuals? And how did police clear them? What was the "former" boyfriend's relationship to/with Toya? Was he upset that her mother was getting married to another guy?

Looking at the information on the doe, it seems she was much taller then Toya. But 4'10" seems really tall for a 9 year old too. One news article I found about the doe reported her as 5'4". I think that has been wrong since "well nourished" and 70 lbs for 5'4" can't be right. It seems to me that this would of been looked into a LONG time ago but who knows...
I have a bad impression of the Maryland system and I kind feel like this girl was probably found and buried a long time ago...unidentified.

Different kids, different body types. My daughter has always been tall and slender. She was probably 4'10 (or near that) at age 9. She's 11 now and is about 5'3/5'4...she weighs between 80 and 85 pounds. She's very tall and slender, like a dancer, even though she doesn't dance. She's very well nourished, too. Just a different body type. She's why I try not to make assumptions about how tall kids should be at certain ages, or how much they should weigh.

I think the height difference between Toya and the unidentified little girl is too much to be a match. I'm suspicious of the mother and boyfriend/husband. Who gets married the weekend of their child's disappearance?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back