1129 users online (284 members and 845 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MI - Genevieve Nielsen, 1, Oakland County, 8 May 1976

Genevieve Rachel Nielsen
    Missing since May 8, 1976 from Oakland County, Michigan
    Classification: Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: August 23, 1974
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 1 year old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 2'2, 24 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; green eyes.
    Marks, Scars: She has a large freckle over her left eyebrow.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    On Mother's Day weekend 1976, Genevieve's non-custodial father took her for an overnight visit from her home in Oakland County. They were never seen again. The father stopped using his Social Security number, and no one has ever used Genevieve's. They are belived to be living under different names. They may be in California, where the father has family.

Investigators
    If you have any information on this case, please contact:
    Oakland County Sheriff's Source Department 810-858-4951

NCIC Number: M-981984542
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information:
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    The Detroit News
    The Doe Network: Case File 27DFMI

Link:
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/27dfmi.html

Detroit News Coverage and Link...

--------------------------------
    Sunday, September 25, 2005
    Feds join missing child case
    U.S. Marshals to work with Oakland County in finding girl, father who disappeared 30 years ago.
    By David Shepardson
    The Detroit News
    DETROIT -- It has been nearly 30 years since Laura Gooder last saw the green-eyed daughter she named after a favorite song by The Kinks. On Mother's Day weekend 1976, Gooder's estranged husband Eric Douglas Nielsen took 21-month-old Genevieve Rachel Nielsen for an overnight visit from her home in Oakland County.

Gooder hasn't seen either of them since. "I just want to meet my daughter. I can't give up hope after all these years," said Gooder, who is now 53 and lives in Frederic, Mich., working as a medical biller at a hospital in Grayling. "I may have grandchildren. My daughter probably doesn't know I even exist."

Now, the U.S. Marshals Service will join the Oakland County Sheriff's Department in the decades long search. Last week, Magistrate Judge Donald Scheer in U.S. District Court in Detroit signed a federal arrest warrant charging Eric Nielsen with kidnapping. Nielsen has been wanted on a state kidnapping warrant since 1976.

Earlier this year, the Alexandria, Va.-based National Center for Missing & Exploited Children turned over about 50 outstanding arrest warrants in connection with long-missing kids to the U.S. Marshals Service and the FBI, said Ben Ermini, who directs the center's Missing Children's Division, overseeing the handling of thousands of pending cases. Federal officials have made a couple of arrests under the program known as "Operation Pickup," Ermini said.

Nielsen stopped using his Social Security number, and no one has ever used Genevieve's, said Oakland County Detective Sgt. Dave Wurtz, who has had the case since 1990 and has a large box of files dedicated to Genevieve, who presumably celebrated her 31st birthday last month.

Repeated database searches have turned up no Eric Nielsen, leading investigators to believe that he's been living under an assumed name -- and that Genevieve is also likely living under a different name. Police believe Nielsen may have fled to California, where he has family. Genevieve's missing poster shows her baby photo and says she has a large freckle over her left eyebrow. Below the baby picture is a photo of Eric Nielsen, aged to 54, with graying hair.

Using her baby picture and both parents' photos, a computer generated a picture of what Genevieve might look like at age 27. The U.S. Marshals have offices across the country -- a big benefit, Wurtz said. He's called police agencies in California to follow up on leads to Genevieve's whereabouts.

"It's a little difficult when you tell them you're searching for a child who's been missing since 1976. They think you're looking for the Lindbergh baby," said Wurtz, a 26-year-veteran of the department. "I'm the patron saint of hopeless cases. And without new leads, it's a lot like looking for a needle in a haystack. But this is about righting a wrong. She deserves justice."

From the beginning Nielsen and Gooder were high school sweethearts at Rochester High School, Gooder said, and married shortly after Gooder graduated in 1970. In January 1976, Gooder said, she asked Nielsen for a divorce -- and told him she was leaving him for another man. "In hindsight, I realize that wasn't the right way to leave a marriage. But I was young, and I didn't deserve to never see my daughter again," she said.

Gooder and the child moved in with Gooder's mother, who a judge had appointed temporary guardian of Genevieve. On May 8, Nielsen picked up Genevieve in a lime-green Ford station wagon but didn't return to Livonia where his family lived, Wurtz said. In a hearing just before the child's disappearance, the judge had indicated he planned to award permanent custody to Gooder.

The Nielsen family gave conflicting statements, the detective said. His mother told police he was on a fishing trip and that she didn't know he had picked up his daughter. His brother said Nielsen had picked up Genevieve but didn't know where she was. His family hasn't cooperated with police in their search, Wurtz said, noting that Nielsen's mother ordered Mike McCabe -- now the county undersheriff -- out of her house during an intense interview in 1990.

Many deputies have worked on the case over the years. The Nielsen family has since moved to California near Napa Valley, he said. Efforts by The Detroit News to contact them were unsuccessful.

Gooder went on to remarry and have three sons. She watches news coverage of events in California, hoping against hope to see her daughter. She wants to tell her daughter about her medical history -- noting that Genevieve's grandmother died in March of ovarian cancer. "She deserves to know that. She deserves a chance to meet me," Gooder said.

Link: http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/05...D01-326371.htm

MI-Woman Kidnapped As Toddler in '76 Found

A woman whose father was charged with kidnapping her as a child 30 years ago has been found living in Arizona, her mother and sheriff's officials said.

On Mother's Day weekend in 1976, Laura Gooder's estranged husband, Eric Douglas Nielsen, picked up 21-month-old Genevieve Rachel Nielsen for an overnight visit. They never returned.

This Mother's Day weekend, a police officer arrived Saturday at Gooder's home in Frederic, Mich., with news that her daughter now 31 had been found, The Detroit News reported.

Gooder's daughter had been raised under another name and grew up believing her mother had been killed in an auto accident. Law enforcement officials declined to release her other name.

Rest of the story:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060514/ap_on_re_us/mother_s_day_daughter_found&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/05...D01-326371.htm
    with her pics. I've come across this little girls pic many times. I even considered her as a potential "Sharon marshall".

http://www.childseeknetwork.com/?archive=616

Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/05...D01-326371.htm
    with her pics. I've come across this little girls pic many times. I even considered her as a potential "Sharon marshall".

http://www.childseeknetwork.com/?archive=616

Hi, I've been reading some of the Sharon Marshall threads today for the very first time, and I hope that you mention over on that forum that this specific Missing Toddler cannot possibly be Sharon --- just in case there's hundreds of others who suspect a connection.

This is simply a remarkable story.

THIRTY YEARS.

Unbelievable, I wonder how they'll get along together and what will happen to the non-custodial dad.

Isn't this an amazing miracle? On Mother's Day weekend, no less.

There's a thread over in the LOCATED forum that has some more links.

THREE decades, I can't get over that!

The thread in COLD CASES has a very interesting news story about how US Marshalls were going to try their best to solve this decades' old kidnapping:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37422

This is an awesome story. Proof positive that family abducted children can be found. I am curious to see how close the age generated photo is too this ladies actually looks.

I hope for everyone involved they can come together and be a family.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Holy moly! Isn't this some story on Mother's Day? I sure hope mom and daughter get to know each other and have many more years together. I am so excited for them.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee
    Holy moly! Isn't this some story on Mother's Day? I sure hope mom and daughter get to know each other and have many more years together. I am so excited for them.

JMHO
    It's amazing both incidences happened Mother's Day weekend!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    It's amazing both incidences happened Mother's Day weekend!
    Isn't that simply wild?

I just saw a brief pic of her on TV, on the FOX NEWS CHANNEL, at the top of the hour, they had her baby pic and current photo side by side. She's very attractive and looks like a very nice person.
    Last edited by wondering22; 05-15-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Now let us hope that Anna Christian Waters is found as well. See thread.

It's great to have a happy ending!

For all the families of the missing, keep the hope alive - miracles to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by wondering22
    The thread in COLD CASES has a very interesting news story about how US Marshalls were going to try their best to solve this decades' old kidnapping:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37422
    Sure sounds like the father's extended family was complicit in the kidnapping.

I wonder how the US Marshalls solved the case.....monitoring the extended family's communications, perhaps?

Hoppy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast