What was the REAL reason the little doggie went to live at the Barnhills?

Camper

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Are we laboring under the conclusion that the REAL reason was given to us.

Folks who became killers in adult life, frequently had inclination to abuse animals as children.

Could this have been the reason that little (Jacques) left the R home because of that?

Its a slow day on the forum, just had this thought the other day and decided to include it here.

IF the doggie went bye bye because of abuse, what might that reveal?

Color me coo coo, sorry. Just thinking.

Wonder if JonBenet visited Jacques often. Wonder IF IF Burke visited as often or EVER, after Jacques left home?

I suspect any abuse Jacques suffered was mere neglect from Patsy. I think Jacques found a new home because he was messy due to not being trained, and an extra burden. Since he was expendable, he left.

The Rs also had a hamster, didn't they? I think I remember reading that somewhere. I imagine if Burke were the animal abuser type, the hamster would not have faired well in their home for very long. They're rather delicate creatures.

And also, I think Burke would have continued being abusive if not murderous to pets, animals, etc, and it would have made the gossip pages at some point during the years.

Correct me if my memory is faulty, but didn't JacquesII go to live with the Barnhills after JB was murdered?

Seeker said:
Correct me if my memory is faulty, but didn't JacquesII go to live with the Barnhills after JB was murdered?
I think Jacques spent time at both houses and my recollection is JonBenet also played with him at the Barnhills. I think he stayed with the Barnhills when the Ramseys traveled etc. After the murder he lived there permanently.

To be fair to Patsy, it should be mentioned that Bichon Frises have a reputation of being difficult to housebreak.

"Bichon Frise: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?
[size=-1]As a behavioral consultant, I would put the Bichon Frise on my Top 10 List of "Hard
to Housebreak." Consistent crate training is mandatory. ...
www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bichonfrise.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages[/size] Bichon Frise, Dog Breed Information Center®, Bichon Frises, Bichon ...
[size=-1]Like a lot of smaller breeds, the Bichon may be difficult to housebreak. The Bichon
Frise was one of the "Yuppie Puppies" very popular in the 1980's. ...
www.dogbreedinfo.com/bichonfrise.htm - 46k - Mar 15, 2006 - Cached - Similar pages[/size]

Nuisanceposter said:
I suspect any abuse Jacques suffered was mere neglect from Patsy. I think Jacques found a new home because he was messy due to not being trained, and an extra burden. Since he was expendable, he left.

The Rs also had a hamster, didn't they? I think I remember reading that somewhere. I imagine if Burke were the animal abuser type, the hamster would not have faired well in their home for very long. They're rather delicate creatures.

And also, I think Burke would have continued being abusive if not murderous to pets, animals, etc, and it would have made the gossip pages at some point during the years.

Nuisanceposter,

Are you suggesting Burke had a personality disorder of some type?

After he had emptied the house of pets he then turned on JonBenet?

tipper said:
I think Jacques spent time at both houses and my recollection is JonBenet also played with him at the Barnhills. I think he stayed with the Barnhills when the Ramseys traveled etc. After the murder he lived there permanently.

To be fair to Patsy, it should be mentioned that Bichon Frises have a reputation of being difficult to housebreak.

"Bichon Frise: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?
[size=-1]As a behavioral consultant, I would put the Bichon Frise on my Top 10 List of "Hard
to Housebreak." Consistent crate training is mandatory. ...
www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bichonfrise.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages[/size] Bichon Frise, Dog Breed Information Center®, Bichon Frises, Bichon ...
[size=-1]Like a lot of smaller breeds, the Bichon may be difficult to housebreak. The Bichon
Frise was one of the "Yuppie Puppies" very popular in the 1980's. ...
www.dogbreedinfo.com/bichonfrise.htm - 46k - Mar 15, 2006 - Cached - Similar pages[/size]
Well, maybe Patsy should have done some research before buying a Bichon.
But of course it wouldn't have mattered to Patsy that the dog would be hard to housebreak.
What mattered was that it was a purebred and it was expensive and that Patsy could give it a cute french name.....keeping in line with the whole french thing she had going on.
This is just another example of Patsy's bad parenting.
It went to live with the Barnhill's because the Ramsey's didnt get two hoots what happened to their dog.
They no longer needed it.

narlacat said:
But of course it wouldn't have mattered to Patsy that the dog would be hard to housebreak.
What mattered was that it was a purebred and it was expensive and that Patsy could give it a cute french name.....keeping in line with the whole french thing she had going on.
It went to live with the Barnhill's because the Ramsey's didnt get two hoots what happened to their dog.
We have two and they are hard to housebreak but they are also adorable, happy and highly entertaining little dogs who make delightful companions for young children. One of ours likes to sit on shoulders like a cat.

narlacat said:
I don't think the Ramseys were dog people. Lots of people aren't. If they were dog people they'd already have had a dog. That doesn't make them bad people or bad parents. Are all people who buy dogs from pet stores bad parents? Bad consumers maybe, but not necessarily bad parents.

If nobody care about what happened to the dog he'd have been abandoned or turned in at the pound. As it was the Barnhills were people he already knew and was happy with. It sounded like the perfect solution to me.

tipper said:
I don't think the Ramseys were dog people. Lots of people aren't. If they were dog people they'd already have had a dog. That doesn't make them bad people or bad parents. Are all people who buy dogs from pet stores bad parents? Bad consumers maybe, but not necessarily bad parents.

If nobody care about what happened to the dog he'd have been abandoned or turned in at the pound. As it was the Barnhills were people he already knew and was happy with. It sounded like the perfect solution to me.
Well, if the Ramsey's weren't dog people, maybe they shouldn't have had a dog.
I say another example of Patsy's bad parenting, not because she bought the dog from a pet store, but because spoiling your child and giving into their every whim is in effect, bad parenting.
Patsy admitted she never wanted to own a dog, but she couldn't say no to JonBenet.

If it weren't for the Barnhill's, Jacques might very well have ended up being abandoned or turned into the pound.
He was a very lucky dog to have such nice people living across the road from him.

I agree with Tipper,it probably wasn't the smartest decision Patsy made,but if I remember correctly,Patsy was just starting to feel better after her cancer went into remission,and JonBenet really wanted the dog,and that's why she got it.

Now,if I heard that they just kept the dog locked up in the garage or basement for days on end,that would be different. But they didn't,they left him with the Barhill's,who obviously loved the dog.

UKGuy said:
Nuisanceposter,

Are you suggesting Burke had a personality disorder of some type?

After he had emptied the house of pets he then turned on JonBenet?

No. I'm saying I don't think he did because I've never heard of him mistreating animals, and I think if he had been mistreating animals, either before or after JonBenet's death, it would have been noted and thoroughly discussed.

We have two of those adorable white dogs on our block, both were "left" at the pound for the reasons noted, and adopted by my neighbors. One is now trained!! owned by a single woman in her 50's with the time for constant attention toward the dog's needs... The other, no, he pees on their furniture..yuck!
I have a female little mutt, curly nine pound goofy dog, she is trained as long as I'm awake, but pees on my rug as soon as I shut my eyes. (hubby's in there shampooing as I type) If it were up to hubby, she would be gone, however, I can't get rid of the grandchildren's pet, but the damage literally is in the thousands. (100 yds of destroyed carpet) This spring I'm going to take it up and expose the hardwood.( yep I've been watching hgtv) Then I will paint the wall behind the fireplace with mustard faux finish , do the others in cabernet. No one will look at the spotted floors:) (cause I think when ya roll your eyes ya look up) :rolleyes:

Sissi

I know this is off topic but just reading your post reminds me of my cat, that has serious issues with other neighbourhood cats....she has taken to peeing inside too and has totally wrecked my spare room.
All the carpet is up, bare boards showing....and they need work!
I tried shampooing, paid hundreds of dollars to get someone in to treat it and shampoo it but alas, nothing would get rid of that smell.
Anyone want a cute tabby-cat??
She comes free, I'll even spring for the postage lol.

Narlacat, you are right! I've spent a fortune on products designed to do the job, but none have. The other day, in Walmart, I saw a new one, it came with it's own black light (like I need a blacklight to find the spot?), it was tempting, but I've lost faith in the "advertising". My floors need sanding and repairing, but I'm not ready for that sawdust "mess".

...Sissi - too funny !!!! "She's (potty) trained as long as I'm awake". That's one I'll have to remember !!!

About the 'getting rid of' the dog::doh:
Quote:

"Well, maybe Patsy should have done some research before buying a Bichon.
They no longer needed it."

(sorry, forgot by now whose post that was).....

I've worked with animals for years and people only when I have to (ooops, freudian slip) but generally speaking, when a family loses a loved one, the pet that remains that was their loved ones is absolutely cherished. It's like the last link someone has to that loved one. I signed a guestbook once of a young woman who'd been murdered and on it was a picture of her father holding her cat. (I'd emailed the family link, sending my sympathies and asked whatever became of her cat, it wasn't clear in the story)......That got the tears to flowing for me. Bottom line, dispensing of the family dog, gives me another pause on the Ramsey case.

The Ramsey's don't want to be reminded of their daughter.
Heck, they can't even say her name most of the time.
JonBenet became known as 'that child'.

narlacat said:
The Ramsey's don't want to be reminded of their daughter.
Heck, they can't even say her name most of the time.
JonBenet became known as 'that child'.

I believe the whole statement Patsy said was:
"I loved that child with the whole of my being."
I don't know of any other time she was refered to as just "that child."

luckyevan93 said:
I've worked with animals for years and people only when I have to (ooops, freudian slip) but generally speaking, when a family loses a loved one, the pet that remains that was their loved ones is absolutely cherished. It's like the last link someone has to that loved one. I signed a guestbook once of a young woman who'd been murdered and on it was a picture of her father holding her cat. (I'd emailed the family link, sending my sympathies and asked whatever became of her cat, it wasn't clear in the story)......That got the tears to flowing for me. Bottom line, dispensing of the family dog, gives me another pause on the Ramsey case.
I never got the impression JonBenet was devoted to the dog nor it to her. It was cute, she wanted it and getting it was an outgrowth of JonBenet asking for a dog while Patsy was sick and being told she could have one when Patsy was better. As I said before, I don't think the Ramseys were dog people.

I've known families that reacted like the one you mentioned but I've also known situations where the kindest thing was to put the cherished pet down or let it go to someone who had a more suitable home for it. I also never got the sense Burke was particularly attached to the dog. It would most likely have stayed with the Barnhills anyway. The alternative being to bring the non-housebroken dog to stay with them at the friends houses.

If a friend came to you in this situation and said they'd decided to let the dog remain with the Barnhill equivalent would you tell them they didn't give two hoots about the dog?

The point remains that if it weren't for the Barnhill's, god knows where that dog would have ended up.

It was their precious child's pet, a last link to their dead daughter, and they chose to get rid of it.

<<The alternative being to bring the non-housebroken dog to stay with them at the friends houses.>>

Well, maybe if the Ramsey's had taken the time to be responsible dog owner's, they would have had a dog that was housebroken.
Their actions are why there are so many unwanted animals on the streets with noone to care for them.
Interestingly, go to any pound and you will find purebreds that people just had to have....only to realise they couldnt be bothered actually looking after them.

Since I started this thread I have not posted on it til now. Reading about this breed of lovely little dog.

A saw and a couple of hinges could have solved the problem of Jacques for the most part. A doggie door. I had a tiny dog who had a doggie door, and she would go in and out and in and out and take care of her needs.

So it was said that the R's gave a 'hoot' about the dog since they turned it over to the Barnhills.

Bur reading all of the comments about the little doggie peeing on the carpet, would certainly cause some weary problems for the elderly couple who ended up 'caring' for the dog.

So, did this mean they did not give a hoot about the elderly couple or just 'thought' it was a gift to the B's, or just solved their own personal problems with no thought to any consequences?

I did not ever observe a fenced yard at the R home when they lived there, nor was there a fence at the B's either. I think the moral of this story from the posters who have posted and the B's who took the doggie, was the B's and the posters here LOVE their doggies.

Wonder where doggie lived when he went to doggie heaven?

Mrs. B has died since JonBenet's murder, how long does this breed live?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back