GUILTY NM - Three dead, 7 hurt as truck crashes into medical clinic, 17 March 2006

December 2007:

Driver to serve 3 years in Concentra crash

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/driver-to-serve-years-in-concentra-crash/article_25970b44-7b91-5cfa-82ea-3375872c11ef.html

A doctor testified Monday that a woman who slammed a pickup into a medical clinic last year, killing three people, has the mental capacity of a fourth-grader, but a judge sent her to prison anyway, saying she should have taken responsibility for her mental health.

State District Judge Michael Vigil said Rachel Ruiz, 39, of Santa Fe acted irrationally in the aftermath of the March 17, 2006, crash at Concentra Medical Centers on St. Michael's Drive and sentenced her to three years in prison. Ruiz received credit for about six months she has served on electronic monitoring since her arrest in June.

"You showed nothing," the judge said. "You were concerned about a telephone, about calling somebody, and people were dying under your vehicle. ... That kind of behavior cannot be condoned by this court."

Ruiz cried during some of the hearing, and her voice cracked as she addressed the court. "I've had to live with a nightmare," she said. "It's been very, very terrible for me for a long time, and all I have to say is I'm sorry."

Ruiz last month pleaded no contest to three counts of vehicular homicide and six counts of great bodily injury by vehicle. She could have faced up to 36 years in prison, but a plea agreement stipulated that she would serve no more than six years. Although Vigil imposed the full six-year sentence, he suspended three years.

Surviving family members said in court that they didn't think Ruiz killed their loved ones on purpose.

Viviana Terrazas, 20, a Concentra receptionist, and Janell Lockhart Rodriguez, 43, and her son, David Rodriguez, 17, who were waiting for the teenager to get a physical examination, died. Six others besides Ruiz were injured.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back