Austrailia faces Katrina type cyclone

Rocky

Former Member
Reaction score
SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Residents along stretches of Australia's northeastern coast were ordered out of their homes Sunday as a powerful tropical cyclone bore down on them packing damaging winds and the threat of a devastating storm surge.
any of our friends from down under with updates for us on this storm?

Last year at this same time is when they had Ingrid come through.

Hi rocky -its due to cross the coast in 2 hours .there has been a lot of evacuations. They are saying its the strongest cyclone to cross the coast in 170 years.one of the closest cities has lost all communications already.I will keep it updated here.I hope everyone survives it ok.

:( A second cyclone has formed right behind the first one and its looking very bad .

aussiegran said:
:( A second cyclone has formed right behind the first one and its looking very bad .

do you know of a good website to watch satallite images?

This is terrible! I hope everyone in harms way had plenty of nitice to evacuate.

I see a cyclone moves in a clockwise motion. Is that the difference between a huricane and a cyclone? Then what is a typhoon?

Scandi

PS: Great to see you Rocky!

We've lost track of one another, but her last address was in Cairns...I heard that that is in the way of this storm!

scandi said:
I see a cyclone moves in a clockwise motion. Is that the difference between a huricane and a cyclone? Then what is a typhoon?

I believe that the direction is related to the different currents and earth rotation in Northern vs Southern hemispheres, kind of like how water flushes in different directions in the different hemispheres (just guessing though). I am confused, however, about the use of the term cyclone. I always thought that cyclones, like tornadoes, were on land and that hurricanes and typhoons were sea storms.

Can someone explain the cyclone at sea?

Actually a Cyclone is supposed to be called a Typhoon or Hurricane (according to which part of the earth it is on) after it's winds become more than 74 mph.

This storm shouldn't be called a Cyclone anymore.

http://www.nearctica.com/geology/storms/cyclone.htm

"Severe tropical cyclones, with winds of 74 miles (119 kilometers) per hour or more, are called hurricanes or typhoons. Cyclones formed in the North Atlantic or eastern North Pacific and called hurricanes, and those arising the western Pacific typhoons. "

I see some red in the colored map you posted Aussie, so it looks like the winds are increasing. The storm is sure hanging on the coastal area. isn't it? I assume you are further west of the storm Aussie. Do we have any other posters from down under?

Thanks Cypros and Becba for your info. And dear Jovin, I hope your SIL is OK and bunkered in if she is there!

Scandi

Becba said:
Actually a Cyclone is supposed to be called a Typhoon or Hurricane (according to which part of the earth it is on) after it's winds become more than 74 mph.

Thanks Becba.

Crazy weather! Tornados today in Texas, Stan's still snowed in in NY!

Any more news from Aussiland?

SCandi

Hi All,Im listening to talkback radio atm with calls coming in from people in the affected areas of the cyclone.Some have reported very strong winds,power outages and missing roofs,Im not sure if the worst is yet too come.Most of the callers so far are typicall Aussies and taking it in their stride,some have evucated themselves to the local pub:) .Hopefully this storm wont be as devasting as the reports are predicting.Iwill post again with any updates .

Aussiegran,Im not sure what state you live in,Im in NSW,but we do have friends who live in the Mackay area,so will be watching this closley.

May you are stay safe down there, we will all be following and hoping for minimal damage in your area.

scandi said:
And dear Jovin, I hope your SIL is OK and bunkered in if she is there!

Scandi

I haven't been able to get her new address ...my MIL has passed away, and there isn't really any family here on my husband's side anymore. I hope she's okay also.

ETA: I guess I should have said my husband's no longer living either....makes it sound like no one cared about this SIL...not the case...people move so many times...and so many miles apart....everyone gets busy...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back