GUILTY VT - Robert Schreiner, 78, beaten to death, West Townshend, 2 June 2004

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
This is one case in the national spotlight.

Prosecutors contend Hope Schreiner, now 73, was unhappy in a loveless marriage of more than 40 years and was tired of caring for her frail husband, a retired landscape architect. Police believe she first tried to kill him with sleeping pills, but ended up attacking him with a baseball bat or heavy stick when that did not work.

Court TV Vermont case

I've been watching this trial, although I haven't watched it from the very beginning.

I am going to watch in the a.m. I have heard some interesting things about her.

I agree and...well, it's not nice to say but her lips look like bird lips or something!! There!! I said it. It's been bugging me. THey are always pursed out. She seems very cold...although maybe it's just nerves and being on trial. I know her kids, save one, are standing by her. It seems most of her friends aren't though.
luvbeaches said:
I've been watching a little of this trial. She sure doesn't show any emotions at all.

concernedperson said:
I am going to watch in the a.m. I have heard some interesting things about her.

Today they were discussing if she should take the stand (in her defense), and the talking heads all said that she probably shouldn't because of her demeanor during the trial. She just sits there..no facial expressions...nothing. At least that's what I've seen so far. It's like she's listening to a boring college lecture concerning the migration patterns of a grey lagged goose.

Of course she could be scared out of her mind, and this is her reaction. Who knows.

luvbeaches said:
Today they were discussing if she should take the stand (in her defense), and the talking heads all said that she probably shouldn't because of her demeanor during the trial. She just sits there..no facial expressions...nothing. At least that's what I've seen so far. It's like she's listening to a boring college lecture concerning the migration patterns of a grey lagged goose.

Of course she could be scared out of her mind, and this is her reaction. Who knows.
I have an inkling about her but I will wait until tomorrow. I like facts mixed in with my fiction.

Lawyers direct their clients to show no emotion :rolleyes: so that the facial movements are not misconstrued.

Oh well here is an unedited version of our news script;

5} SCHREINER_PKG (nats: courtroom) Week two of the murder trial began with a slew of prosecution witnesses taking the stand. One by one, they testified that Hope and Robert Scheiner's marriage was bad and getting worse. Acquaintances and friends both said that Hope was fed up with her husband's terminal illness AND that she had formed a CLOSE relationship with a male neighbor across the street. A former co-worker told the jury that Hope had joked about killing Robert months before the murder. ((Sue Palmer/Co-worker: "she said to me I want to get rid of my husband.// I thought she was kidding. Question: what id you say in response? Answer: what are you are going to do poison him? Question: how did she respond? Answer: she said yes.")) The murder trial is getting national media exposure. Court TV is broadcasting the trial LIVE from a satellite truck parked right next to the court house. The reporter covering the trial says the bazaar circumstances of the case are very compelling. ((karas: "It is usually a husband killing a wife and this is the reverse, the wife killing the husband. And, being in her 70's also makes it a little unusual. So you have a 72 year old woman, well now 73, accused of killing her elderly infirm husband and having an affair also, so it just presented a lot of interesting issues for us.")) ((Sullivan: "During the course of Monday's testimony the prosecution referenced a long sharp garden tool at the Scheiner residence. There is no word at this tim if they believe that was used int eh killing, a murder weapon has not been found. Adam Sullivan channel three news, in Brattleboro Vermont."))

6} SCHREINER_TAG An expert toxicologist also took the stand today. He testified that an autopsy showed high levels of the sleeping medicine Ambien in Robert Schreiner's bloodstream. The prosecution claims that Hope put the medicine in Robert's coffee the morning of the murder.

i have watched this trial from day one. i feel a little sorry for hope although i am certain, more than certain that she did this. i think part of her "look" is due to plastic surgery. her skin seems "stretched" across her face, giving her that haughty look. she rarely speaks to her defense attornies, who themselves leave a lot to be desired. they let the pros witnesses go on and on, and then their cross is just to re-iterate what has just been said.

although they never found the murder weapon, there is a potato hoe missing. i believe hope's confession to the neighbor who was afraid to stay alone after bob's death. hope told her not to worry b/c she (hope) had done it. i find this to be the most damning of the witnesses.

she did have a "shack-up", but i do not think he would have murdered the husband. but hope made no secret of her desire to be free. defense case, if there is one, should begin tomorrow or the next day.

Did anyone see the trial today? They brought out graphic pictures from the autopsy, warned the jury to "take a deep breath" before viewing....and HOPE didn't even flinch. IF your husband was beat to death and they were showing the pictures, wouldn't you get just a little weepy, look away or show SOME sort of emotion?

What is going on in her head? She looks totally BORED. She just sits there, slowly blinking, as if she's in convenienced being there. You'd think SHE had jury duty.

WOW, who knew grandma had it in her? Can you picture this woman beating her husband to death? What kind of emotion did she show then, if she did it?

"Sorry, Bob, this is gonna hurt you more than it hurts me", and then, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, BAM, BAM! At least 7 times!!!!! WOW! Don't mess with the little Mrs.! How p*ssed off WAS she?

Gee, I don't thing the butler did it, this time folks.

izzyB said:
i have watched this trial from day one. i feel a little sorry for hope although i am certain, more than certain that she did this. i think part of her "look" is due to plastic surgery. her skin seems "stretched" across her face, giving her that haughty look. she rarely speaks to her defense attornies, who themselves leave a lot to be desired. they let the pros witnesses go on and on, and then their cross is just to re-iterate what has just been said.

although they never found the murder weapon, there is a potato hoe missing. i believe hope's confession to the neighbor who was afraid to stay alone after bob's death. hope told her not to worry b/c she (hope) had done it. i find this to be the most damning of the witnesses.

she did have a "shack-up", but i do not think he would have murdered the husband. but hope made no secret of her desire to be free. defense case, if there is one, should begin tomorrow or the next day.
I think she's also on HRT. Which might explain some of her odd behavior (even the murder) as described by friends and family.

Michael Evans, a doctor with the American Institute of Toxicology, told the jury in Hope Schreiner's first-degree murder trial Monday that her husband had 255 nanograms of the prescription medication per milliliter of blood in his body, the equivalent of about seven 10-milligram pills.

He estimated the pills were likely consumed at about 8 a.m. on June 2, 2004, the day of the murder. Witnesses testified last week that Hope Schreiner admitted she tried to poison her husband by putting sleeping pills in his coffee.

And Dr. Timothy Shafer, the regional medical examiner who was also the Schreiner's family physician, testified Monday afternoon that Robert Schreiner told him in April 2004 that he had stopped taking the sleeping medication. His last refill, according to pharmacy records, was in September 2003, Shafer said.

Vermont State Police Sgt. Robert McCarthy testified last week that seven Ambien pills were unaccounted for from a bottle prescribed to Hope Schreiner and filled on May 20, 2004.

This link also has her photo.

todays story

story of the affair
Hope Schreiner, 73, became intimate with a man named Don in early 2004 because her husband, Robert Schreiner, was not attentive, Striet testified.

She also said she asked how her adopted father wound up beaten to death in their driveway along Robin Hill Road home in Townshend on June 2, 2004, and did not receive a definite answer from her mother.

"She looked right through me and said, 'I can't tell you,'" Striet told the jury Wednesday morning. "That actually did tell me something."

But under heavy cross-examination, Striet also revealed that she did not comfort her mother following Robert Schreiner's death and engaged in a legal battle with her two brothers over her adopted father's estate.

Striet said she believed the estate should be handled by an outside person "because of the circumstances." She also stated she asked her brothers to reimburse her for travel costs to attend the funeral and that Windham County prosecutors paid for her to travel to Vermont to testify in the trial.

Article

Dale Thiel then took the stand for the prosecution. Thiel, who was then the owner of the Harmonyville Store, said she got to know the Schreiners because they often stopped in. Thiel said Schreiner often expressed her concern over her husband's failing health.

During one of their conversations, Schreiner told Thiel that she and her husband were building a new house and Robert Schreiner would have the bottom floor to himself.

"Hope said 'Bob and I haven't really been together in a long time,'" said Thiel, adding Schreiner said, "I really don't like his personal hygiene." "She didn't like him," said Thiel. "She wanted him out of the house."

closing arguments are tomorrow morning and the jury should have the case by noon. they will deliberate until 9:00 PM and if necessary on Friday and Saturday, but i think, after the weak presentation of a defense case, calling only 2 witnesses, that the jury will be back either thursday night or sometime friday.

there was oen prosecution witness that was so compelling as she gave a detail of hope's confession, hope saying that she (hope) would surely go to prison, but that she had already been living in a prison, and then asking this witness to dispose of evidence (which she refused to do and instead called the police) that i do not see how the jury could come back with anything BUT a guilty verdict.

i am sorry for hope and her family, but mostly i am sorry for her victim.

When the stepchildren said she was the "evil stepmother" for real, it made my antennaes go up. So I am not surprised by all this other stuff coming out. She must have been a pretty selfish woman. Most killers are.

Now there seems to be a question of Scchriner being murdered by a man he stiffed on some used auto parts. The cousin of a salvage yard operator wrote the defense attorneyf rom prison that he believes his cousin may have killed Schriener, as he had threatened to get back at some guy who had gypped him out of some money for parts. According to the son his father DID buy used auto parts from a salvage yard then put a stop payment on the check, and swore he would never pay the guy "one dime". So there might actually be something to this.

I keep wondering about the strength a person would have to have to hit him as hard as he was hit.

our news story

At the last minute, the defense claimed that a letter from an inmate in New Hampshire had fingered another male suspect in the murder. The defense asked for a delay in the trial to consider this new evidence, and the judge denied it.

Hope Schreiner had to be helped from the courtroom Thursday night-- visibly shaken-- after jurors reheard graphic testimony about her husband's murder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
news script

} SCHREINER_SAT
Good evening, I'm Marselis Parsons. And I'm Kristin Kelly ... The fate of a southern Vermont woman is in the hands of a jury tonight. 73-year-old Hope Schreiner is accused in the beating death of her husband. The two week trial wrapped up this morning. Adam Sullivan is at the courthouse in Brattleboro with the latest. This is a story of a rocky 43-year marriage and how it abruptly came to an end. This is a case that was watched across the country. The trial has all the elements of a perfect murder mystery... including allegations of a love affair... poor police work... and even an admission of guilt. Now its for the jury to decide.

2} SCHREINER_PKG ((nats of judge instructing jry)) the murder case was handed over to the jury around 11 o'clock Thursday. for most of the morning they heard closing arguments. The state says Hope confessed to a neighbor that she is the killer. ((dav davis/windham pro: what did she say to luanne? luanne was terrified about being in the woods alone. don't worry i did it)) the defense says quite the contrary. they say hope schriener wasn;t even home at the time fo the killing. they also say the police investigation was shoddy. ((Gwen Harris/defense atty: the police find that hope schriener .... not an investigation. it was more of a witchhunt))

3} SCHREINER_TAG The jury's been out for more than 7 hours. They came out an hour ago asking about the lesser charge of second degree murder. So maybe something could be read into that, but for now there's no word on when a verdict might be reached. Adam any surprises as the trial unfolded? Well actually yes. Came to the media's attention late today that the defense filed a motion for a mistrial on the basis they have new evidence which implicates someone else in the murder. The information comes from an inmate in New Hampshire. Judge Hayes denied the request.

found guilty of second degree murder, bail revoked and the defendant taken in to custody. sentencing will be in 6 to 8 weeks.

T'sNana said:
I agree and...well, it's not nice to say but her lips look like bird lips or something!! There!! I said it. It's been bugging me. THey are always pursed out. She seems very cold...although maybe it's just nerves and being on trial. I know her kids, save one, are standing by her. It seems most of her friends aren't though.

They are "pursed out." Each time I look at her she looks like she's thinking...how dare you have me in this courthouse. She does seem cold...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back