how sadness is helped by laughter

welder 79

Reaction score
this was told to me by a veteran swear's it's true..... he was wounded in Vietnam in the fall of 1970 and Medivaced to military hospital at Camp Zamma, Japan. the ward was filled with injured vet's some missing arm's and/or leg's or injured pretty bad. after several day's a new patient arrived in his ward, both his legs were in a cast and he was in traction, at 2200 hr's they gave out medicine and 2230hr's light's out, around 2230hr's a medic wheeled the telephone cart down to the new guy with legs in cast and in traction and told him is call home has came through. everybody was quite trying to fall asleep and couldn't help from over hearing his conversation and it went something like this..."HI SIS...."No i'm not in the states yet"..."No....I'm out of Nam", "Well i had a little problem as i was leaving...."No, nothing like that....i was walking across the runway to get on the plane home when i was hit by a jeep"" With these words done sayed the whole ward explode in very loud painfull laughter the type tear's from your eye's stream down your face, the poor guy next to him missing a leg laughed so hard he fell out of his bed.. medic's and nurse's all came running into the ward wanting to know what happened but no one could stop laughing long enough to explain the phone call and they started helping the poor old patient's that fell out of there bed laughing back into their beds.. the new guy was very quietly finished his call......day's after that somebody would say loudly ""HIT BY A JEEP""" and the whole ward would all start again with very loud painfull laughter that would last for a good 15 up to 30 min's of very needed laughter to brite-up there day and help them get there mind off there own worry's and sadness......what i learned about this true story is no matter how bad thing's look in your life at that time alway's try to bring the healing effect's of laughter in to your life:blushing:

I like you so much and have from your very first post. You have a way of seeing reality but tempering it with knowledge and humor. You understand the human condition but you let it take its course.

well thank you concerned person you going to make me start blushing again..

Thanks Welder for posting this. It reminds me that laughter is truly the best medicine.:dance:

May you always have laughter in your life. What a beautiful story - same the one who told it.

:blowkiss:

Wonderful story, welder 79, thanks, it made me laugh too!

I could just picture all those poor guys falling out of their beds, but not minding the pain for once.

Your last sentence is so true...

I remember watching a programme on television which featured an Indian and his followers who practised laughing for so many minutes a day. The people didn't look particularly happy though they were certainly giving lots of belly laughs. I basically dismissed them as a bunch of laughing jackasses. Later however I read where laughing produces - I'm not sure - chemicals, hormones, whatever - which actually makes you feel happier. And interestingly enough the body can't tell whether the laugh is real or manufactured and produces the happy changes anyway. Hope this makes sense. :doh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back