Things We Know About Darlie

Goody

Reaction score
1. Her mother had three husbands, so Darlie had two stepfathers.

2. Family moved around a lot.

3. She had a boyfriend at aged 14. (Or was she younger?)

4. She met Darin at age 15.

5. Her mother was the matchmaker.

6. She babysat for the babysitter when she was old enough and one time spent her babysitting money on the kids she was babysitting. (Jane can correct this if I don't have it just right.)

7. At Darin's high school graduation party, she claimed someone tried to rape her to get Darin to leave the party earlier than he wanted to.

8. She didn't believe in corporal punishment for her kids.

9. At Devon's 6th birthday party, she could not get him to behave with verbal commands so she smeared some cake and frosting on his face. It humiliated him in front of the guests, but it got his attention.

10. She let the boys run loose without much concern; throughout the neighborhood, at the lake, near busy downtown streets at the shop.

11. She was the life of the party.

12. She bought Darin cocaine for his birthday and was angry when he snorted almost all of it right away.

13. They smoked pot.

14. She took strong diet pills.

16. She cussed at the kids, but not in front of her family members (or did they lie about that?).

17. She claimed her stepfather (Dana's father) molested her when she was 12, but she let Dana take the boys to the stepfather's house for visits.

18. She threatened to commit suicide in May, approx one month before the murders. Cancelled her plans when Darin came home to talk it over with her at her request.

19. She only wrote in her journal a few times.

20. She didn't decide to keep a journal until 2 years after her grandfather died whom she says inspired her to start the journal.

21. She was a light sleeper.

22. She threw temper tantrums at the shop and threw things at Darin. (No one ever said she did anything like it at her home though.)

23. She liked material things and according to Basia, was getting to where they were becoming more and more important to her.

24. She suffered from depression.

25. Her husband was not bringing enough money home from the shop to pay for her planned summer trips or his.

26. She was annoyed with how much his toys were costing in repairs. (boat and jag)

27. She threatened to leave him the night of the murders (or did she?).

28. She was annoyed with his inability to be more aggressive in collecting money from his customers.

29. She was annoyed with not having a car while he worked (why didn't she take him and Dana in the morning and drop them off, then pick them up in the evening?).

30. She couldn't keep up with the housework and the children, so they hired Basia's mother to do the housework just two days before the murders.

31. She brought her jewelry downstairs to show Halina (Basia's mother) the day of the murders and left it on the counter, where it was found that night.

32. She told Halina she needed to sell it because she needed $10,000. (Did she think Basia had $10,000 to spend on jewelry?)

33. She and Darin tried to get a $5000 signature loan with the bank and were turned down just that week (income to debt ratio was too high).

34. She and Darin both admit to discussing money issues that night and their files were found spread out on one of the couches, along with their insurance policies, supporting their claims.

35. She spent a lot of money on a cat's burial and put a monument to it in the back yard with a little pond. (Was it $7000?)

36. She and Darin were planning on renewing their vows on their 10th anniversary, apparently inspired by the weddings planned for that summer....Darin's brother's and Darlie's sister Dana's.

37. At age 19 she shocked the neighbors on Bond Street by wearing her thong bikini to garage sales.

38. She had breast implants (Darin says they were his idea).

39. An anonymous friend says Darlie told her the only way Darin would let her get an abortion (after Damon's birth and before Drake's) was if she would agree to the breast implants. Same friend claims Darlie loved the new look. (Was this the year before the murders?)

40. Darlie liked to sing and had a karoke set up in the entertainment room on the second floor.

41. A friend said one day Darlie wanted to be the best mom she could be and the next she wanted to be a star.

42. Darlie loved animals. She had a dog and a cat, and was planning on becoming a breeder.

43. Darlie had days when she just liked to lay around in baggie shirts. She had other days when she dressed up and wore her make up. She was said to have sunbathed in the front yard on occasion.

44. Darlie could be very generous. She paid Karen Neal's house payments while she was taking kemo for cancer and was planning on treating Mercedes Adams to a trip to Cancun.

45. Darlie wasn't religious, didn't attend church before the murders.

46. Darlie was in favor of the death penalty before the crime.

47. Darlie was up all night making cupcakes for Devon's class, but only time according to Darin's testimony.

48. Darlie dressed the children very attractively, kept them clean and well nourished.

49. Darlie's house was filled with pretty things and very neat. She liked a clean house.

50. She had a lot of professional photos done, not only of herself but of the family as well.

51. She celebrated Mother's Day with a girl's night out the night before, wherein she treated female family members and friends to a stay in a Dallas hotel and an evening at a male strip club.

52. She claims a mechanic called her June 5th, 1996 and scolded her about Darin's Jag that had been left in his shop for repair.

53. She claims she sent Dana home that night so that she and Darin could discuss their finances.

Can't think of any more right now but feel free to add what you've learned about her. (#45 & 46 contributed by Mary)

54. She had a really, really ugly wedding dress.

wenchie said:
54. She had a really, really ugly wedding dress.
Are you working off of a photo or were you there? Just curious.

No! I wasn't there! I just saw those huge cotton-candy sleeves on the justicefordarlie site, and was in a wiseass mood.

55. If she and Darin ever had a daughter they were going to call her Danelle. I believe this is what they called the boat they bought to take anniversary couples out on the lake.

wenchie said:
No! I wasn't there! I just saw those huge cotton-candy sleeves on the justicefordarlie site, and was in a wiseass mood.
You should've seen my sister-in-law's wedding dress. She looked like Little Bo Peep, bless her :D

britgirl said:
55. If she and Darin ever had a daughter they were going to call her Danelle. I believe this is what they called the boat they bought to take anniversary couples out on the lake.
I thought I read that they were going to call her Darlene from one of the books (that I don't have now).

britgirl said:

Actually it was Dalene they were going to call the boat and daughter, Brit and not Danelle. Danelle is her sister's name. I just read it last night in HLB.

cami said:
Actually it was Dalene they were going to call the boat and daughter, Brit and not Danelle. Danelle is her sister's name. I just read it last night in HLB.
Indeed it is Dalene. Apologies. It's all those D's- I get confused!!

justice2 said:
I thought I read that they were going to call her Darlene from one of the books (that I don't have now).
I am not sure we can put much faith in those kinds of rumors. No way to verify them.

Well, maybe I take it back. If it was in HLB a source might be named or loosely identified. Might be possible to check that out. The writer of that one seemed to have an in with her family and friends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back