Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amber Alert Selmer Tn-minister/father Dead, Family Missing

Amber Alert Selmer Tn-minister/father Dead, Family Missing

AP) Husband found dead, wife and daughters gone"

NASHVILLE, Tenn.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation issued a statewide Amber Alert Thursday morning after a West Tennessee pastor was found murdered and his family missing.

The missing persons were Breanna Winkler, age 1; Mary Alice Winkler, 6, who is 3 feet tall and weighs about 40 pounds; Patricia Winkler, 8, who is 4 feet tall and weights about 60 pounds. All are white females. The two older girls have dark brown hair.

They were possibly with their mother, Mary Winkler, who is 32, 5-foot-3, and weighs about 120 pounds.

They were believed to be traveling in a gray 2006 Toyota Sienna van bearing Tennessee license plates NDX-288.

They are missing from Selmer in McNairy County, where the husband and father, Matthew Winkler, was found dead in a bedroom of the parsonage of a Church of Christ, where he was the minister.

When he didn't appear for a worship service Wednesday night, members of the church went to the parsonage and found him dead, police said.

TBI spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson said there were no signs of forced entry at the parsonage.

Mary Winkler and her children were last seen late Tuesday afternoon.

Selmer is about 80 miles east of Memphis.

Authorities were asking anyone who saw the van or who had other information tocall 1-800-TBI-FIND.

This sounds like preacher's wife killed preacher and took off with the kids. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh
    This sounds like preacher's wife killed preacher and took off with the kids. Very sad.
    This could very well be what has happened. But someone could have killed him and took the wife and children. Sometimes preachers open their homes to people traveling through who call on them for help. If she did it, the kids are probably in less danger but it should be easier to find her if this is the case. She will have to turn to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh
    I pray that if this is the case she doesn't decide to kill herself and the children.
    Retired 08/03/03

Selmer, TN is a tiny little area. Probably everyone there knows at least one person in that family.

I hope the remainder of the family is found safe. I have to agree with those who think the implications are that wife/mother killed husband/father and ran with the kids in the family car.

Just in...the mother and children were found alive and well in a van parked along side a road in Alabama. No one was with them.

I just posted this on another thread. There's two threads on this. One in Missing Persons information and support.

Oh boy, what did she do?!...

Quote Originally Posted by Sassygerl
    Just in...the mother and children were found alive and well in a van parked along side a road in Alabama. No one was with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie
    Oh boy, what did she do?!...
    I'm thinking she killed him. I wonder why though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMush99
    I'm thinking she killed him. I wonder why though.

Yep....looks suspicious to me!!!!! VERY!!!!! I had no idea there were two threads! I just came back to the one I read earlier

I hope this story is covered on the news. This one will be really interesting to follow.

hhhmmmmm.... abuse/sexual abuse??

ya think........?!

Quote Originally Posted by reb
    hhhmmmmm.... abuse/sexual abuse??

ya think........?!
    I have been wondering about that too. My thoughts keep going to the possibility that he was sexually abusing one of the children and the wife either caught him in the act or the child told her. I hope I am wrong.

Foxnews

SELMER, Tenn. A popular and charismatic Tennessee minister was found shot to death in his parsonage, and authorities labled his wife a suspect after she and the couple's three young daughters were found in Alabama on Thursday after a daylong search

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CNN
    SELMER, Tennessee (AP) -- Matthew Winkler had been the minister at the Fourth Street Church of Christ for just over a year, and the congregation loved his straight-by-the-Bible sermons and his quiet wife, Mary.

Now church members are struggling to understand how their charismatic 31-year-old minister could have been shot to death in his small-town parsonage.

Winkler's body was found Wednesday night. His wife and three young daughters were found Thursday in southern Alabama after a daylong search.

Late Thursday, authorities said they considered Mary Winkler, 32, a suspect. She and the couple's daughters were alone in the family's van when a police officer spotted it parked along a road in Orange Beach, Alabama, about 400 miles south of Selmer.

This is sad. Now these poor children won't have a father OR a mother.

There are two threads on this case. I'm getting confused. Maybe a mod can merge them?

"the congregation loved his straight-by-the-Bible sermons and his quiet wife, Mary."
    There is a lot to be said about that short statement. So much of their story is probably in that one statement above. My thoughts are that he was the true "Spiritual Head of the House," the "KIng of the Castle," the one with the final say in the home. She was more than likely the submissive Christian wife -- even to the point of whatever abuse she may have endured. If this is the case, don't be so surprised, folks. There are so many Christian homes that live like this and so many that are being abused and the church knows nothing about it. I had a pastor once that was arrested for domestic violence, after his wife finally reported him. It's not unusual. It's more common than we like to think. The only thing is...they use the Bible to perpetrate their abuse.

i know all too well how common this is,, i came from a home like this. my father was a well-liked minister who could do no wrong on the outside, but turned into a monster behind closed doors. a real dr. jekyll & mr. hyde.
    and he counselled OTHER people with THEIR marriage problems!
    when my mom & i left him no one could understand it, they just assumed we were the crazy ones.

the problem with churches is that they are usually in denial about these things, and most ministers encourage wives to stay with their abusive husbands. of course, maybe more 'modern' churches are a bit more with-it these days, and in touch with reality, who knows? i just got out of the whole mess altogether.
    it's funny, there's a good reason most PK's i've met in life are really messed up, or at least 'eccentric'... lol

(long story short-- it's almost 30 years later, he's got a new wife who hen-pecks him to death, and we're great friends now!)

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Both the minister and his wife were the children of ministers. I'm really curious about what she has said to the police.

This is such a horrible story and there is so much information we dont know. I'm anxious to see what details will emerge as to why she did this. I wonder what her psychological state is and if she is just nuts, some form of postpartum, or if the minister did something that enraged her so much that she killed him?

Did he possibly have an affair? Did she?

All sorts of possibilities at this point.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

I hope we get a place to dedicate to this case.
    Access photos from fellow countdown members by clicking here
    Access Countdown tips and tricks here

I only posted what I did because I remember a book about a small town murder based on an affair, but it was the opposite. The wife was going to kill the women her husband slept with, only that woman panicked and wound up killing her with the very axe that was being swung at her.

Here's a link to that book. True story. http://www.amk.ca/books/h/Evidence_of_Love
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

Prayers, I think there was a movie on the case you speak about. Barbara Hershey was in it. It's been on Lifetime a few times but I can't remember the name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast