1446 users online (270 members and 1176 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    Is this the book itreenw?

The Rise and Fall of Synanon : A California Utopia (Hardcover)
    by Rod Janzen "During the second half of the twentieth century Synanon was one of the most successful and most innovative communal societies in the United States..."
    Yup!! That's the name of it. I actually wanted to find a book called "Escape from Utopia" but when I mentioned it to the librarian he seemed very familiar with Synanon. He also said Rose wasn't the only one that "ran away" and never made it back to the parents. He told me about his acquaintance, Rod that wrote a book about it. He pulled a card out and gave it to me with this man's email, mailing address and phone #. Small world. I am going to inquire about the # of people that are still unaccounted for. He said to also research the Pt. Reyes Light for more info.???

Books about synanon

Quote Originally Posted by itsreenw
    Yup!! That's the name of it. I actually wanted to find a book called "Escape from Utopia" but when I mentioned it to the librarian he seemed very familiar with Synanon. He also said Rose wasn't the only one that "ran away" and never made it back to the parents. He told me about his acquaintance, Rod that wrote a book about it. He pulled a card out and gave it to me with this man's email, mailing address and phone #. Small world. I am going to inquire about the # of people that are still unaccounted for. He said to also research the Pt. Reyes Light for more info.???
    itsreenw,

Escape from Utopia: My ten years in Synanon (Unknown Binding)
    by William F Olin

For Sale at amazon.com

The Light on Synanon: How a country weekly exposed a corporate cult--and won the Pulitzer Prize (Unknown Binding)
    by Dave Mitchell

Availability: Available from these sellers.

10 used & new available from $1.90
    Retired 08/03/03

Great work, Itsreenw! It's amazing that the librarian knew the author of the book and was able to give you their email address. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that there were others who "escaped" but never made it home... but it does.

A weekly newspaper (sorry, forget the name) won a Pulitzer prize for their expose on Synanon. I'll see what I can find on that today.

He said to also research the Pt. Reyes Light for more info.???
    Well, what do you know... the Pt. Reyes Light was the weekly newspaper that won the Pulitzer for its expose on Synanon. I knew I had seen the name somewhere yesterday when I was researching Synanon, but didn't remember it being the newspaper.

http://www.ptreyeslight.com/light.html

The original story by the Point Reyes Light was done April 16, 1979... don't know if the story is available on microfilm at a library or not, but it would be worth checking out. Here's a synopsis of their story:

http://www.ptreyeslight.com/stories/...non_story.html

Apparently the Point Reyes Light is a community newspaper covering a few small towns in Marin County, CA. That's just across the bridge from San Fran. Surely one of the SF libraries would still have a copy of the story in their files?

Rattlesnake Revenge

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTexas
    The original story by the Point Reyes Light was done April 16, 1979... don't know if the story is available on microfilm at a library or not, but it would be worth checking out. Here's a synopsis of their story:

http://www.ptreyeslight.com/stories/...non_story.html
    Very interesting story.

I was living out there when this happened: Member Lance Kenton, son of band leader Stan Kenton, and another member named Joe Musico hid a 4.5-foot rattlesnake, whose warning rattles had been cut off, in Morantzís mailbox. The snake bit the attorney when he reached for his mail, but a quick response by paramedics saved him.

Cults were springing up all over California at the time as I recall.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by itsreenw
    Oakland CA has rough areas but the entire city unfortunately gets stereotyped.
    Have you read Chris Darden's book. He grew up in Oakland.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

I lived in San Fran in 1975-76 myself, and remember it was a really weird time to be there. Patty Hearst was kidnapped, the SLA was setting fire to apartment buildings, etc. I remember reading in the newspaper (I think I was in Texas at the time) about the rattlesnake in the mailbox. As soon as I heard the name Synanon, I knew there was the potential for trouble in this case.

I lived in San Fran in 1975-76 myself, and remember it was a really weird time to be there. Patty Hearst was kidnapped, the SLA was setting fire to apartment buildings, etc. I remember reading in the newspaper (I think I was in Texas at the time) about the rattlesnake in the mailbox. As soon as I heard the name Synanon, I knew there was the potential for trouble in this case.
    From the time of Charles Manson and the Spann ranch forward, it was weird times out west. When that rattlesnake thing hit the airwaves, I remember being afraid to open my mailbox. LOL! I mean, if the attys could not protect themselves......eerie!

Great work, Itsreenw! It's amazing that the librarian knew the author of the book and was able to give you their email address. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that there were others who "escaped" but never made it home... but it does.

A weekly newspaper (sorry, forget the name) won a Pulitzer prize for their expose on Synanon. I'll see what I can find on that today.
    Have authorities any time over the years searched the grounds of this property for burial sites?

Have authorities any time over the years searched the grounds of this property for burial sites?
    I was wondering the very same thing yesterday and even Googled to see if anything like that turned up, but the most I found was about beating up the neighbor who helped with the underground railroad and the lawyer with the snake in the mailbox.

I was wondering the very same thing yesterday and even Googled to see if anything like that turned up, but the most I found was about beating up the neighbor who helped with the underground railroad and the lawyer with the snake in the mailbox.
    If they were killing people, I would expect them to dispose of the bodies on their own property to make sure they were never found by authorities.

If they were killing people, I would expect them to dispose of the bodies on their own property to make sure they were never found by authorities.
    Agreed. I just can't find any place on the internet that says anyone checked the property for bodies. Itsreenw is trying to get to get a copy of an expose book on Synanon, and I'm hoping more details will be found. Also, they had several sites for the organization and they may have used one of the sites (possibly a more remote site) for burial.

Burial Sites

Agreed. I just can't find any place on the internet that says anyone checked the property for bodies. Itsreenw is trying to get to get a copy of an expose book on Synanon, and I'm hoping more details will be found. Also, they had several sites for the organization and they may have used one of the sites (possibly a more remote site) for burial.
    I don't think it will be documented by them as a burial site. They would most likely be hidden graves that would take a cadaver dog to find. Or maybe a plane flying overhead with special equipment. If the authorities never tried to search for such sites, it may never be known what is out there unless former members talk about it.

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast