Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rose L. Cole, Missing Since 1972

Hybrid View

Rose L. Cole, Missing Since 1972

Rose Cole was born December 23, 1956 in Flint, Michigan. Rose's full name is Rose Leanna Cole, but her family says she rarely used her middle name.

In 1972, at the age of 15, she was sent to Synanon Foundation in Oakland, CA for some kind of addiction (I'm assuming drugs).

For those who aren't familiar with Synanon, it was an unscrupulous drug treatment center whose clients rarely had a chance to leave once they arrived. Rose ran away from Synanon some time in late 1972 and wrote two letters to her family after leaving Synanon. To quote her sister-in-law:

Was sent to the Synanon Foundation in Oakland, California in 1972
    She wrote 2 letters from there Oct/Nov 1972
    A third letter in Dec 72 were she explains that she ran away from the synanon
    The 4th and last letter was dated on her sixteen birthday

I only have the envelope for the letter from the Synanon.

I can type the letters again (lost my computer files on this) if that helps.
    I have written the SIL requesting data on Rose's description. I have also asked her to re-type the letters, since I assume they might offer more details about her circumstances at Synanon.

I've checked death and marriage records in California, and death records in all states, and no Rose Cole shows up. Nor does she show up on any public records or phone book directory.

As her SIL stated, they have not heard from her since December of 1972. Rose would be 49 now, and would turn 50 this December.

Once additional information is received on Rose, I'll post it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeartofTexas For This Useful Post:

bcf, Kat

Here are some posts done on Rose Cole from another thread:

Today, 08:39 AM
    HeartofTexas

Quote:

Heart of Texas found this....

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.co.../0024photo.html

As a follow-up to the above girl (Rose Cole), I've been in touch with her family, and she was 15-16 at the time of her disappearance. Her family sent her to Synanon Foundation in Oakland, CA in 1972 (I'm assuming for drug problems) and after a few letters from her, and after she ran away from there a few months later, she's never been heard from since. Her DOB was 12-23-56. Since no crime was committed that we know of, and since she's an assumed run-away, it won't be appropriate for me to do a thread on WS on her.

#34 Today, 08:50 AM
    Shadow205

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeartofTexas
    As a follow-up to the above girl (Rose Cole), I've been in touch with her family, and she was 15-16 at the time of her disappearance. Her family sent her to Synanon Foundation in Oakland, CA in 1972 (I'm assuming for drug problems) and after a few letters from her, and after she ran away from there a few months later, she's never been heard from since. Her DOB was 12-23-56. Since no crime was committed that we know of, and since she's an assumed run-away, it won't be appropriate for me to do a thread on WS on her.

Heartoftexas,

Based on the research that we did last night on the Synanon Foundation, I think that a thread on Rose would be a good idea. If nothing else, start it in "Missing" or "Missing But Not Forgotten". I feel that Rose is more than just a runaway. Unless she was one of the really lucky ones, Synanon did not allow people to just leave. I would be interested in trying to help locate her.

Today, 09:22 AM
    HeartofTexas

Thanks so much, Shadow. I do want to point out, though, that her sister-in-law said she did run away from Synanon. Not that she may have gotten too far! I've written the SIL this morning asking for a description of Rose (height, color of hair, eyes, etc.) and will post that info when I get it.

Today, 10:10 AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeartofTexas
    Thanks so much, Shadow. I do want to point out, though, that her sister-in-law said she did run away from Synanon. Not that she may have gotten too far! I've written the SIL this morning asking for a description of Rose (height, color of hair, eyes, etc.) and will post that info when I get it.
    Many tried to run away from Synanon but were brought back. I hope that she was successfull in getting away from there. Could you also find out exactly why they sent her there. I assume from what I have read it was for some type of addiction. I really hate to but we can start looking at Jane Does for a possible match too. Find out for sure which site she was at. It looks like they had more than one. Where is the postmark on the letter from and the date?

Today, 10:13 AM
    HeartofTexas

She didn't say what she was being treated for, but I assume it was drugs. She was at the Oakland, CA location. I've already checked the Jane Doe's this morning in both California and Nevada. Nevada's didn't start until 1979. California had one possibility that I found:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/62ufca.html Date of death was September 26, 1979

Other than that, I didn't find any that might match. I'm awaiting a description on Rose, which might help with identifying her from the Jane Does.

Today, 10:15 AM
    HeartofTexas

Shadow, here's what the SIL wrote re the letters:
    Quote:
    The 4th and last letter was dated on her sixteen birthday

I only have the envelope for the letter from the Synanon.

I can type the letters again (lost my computer files on this) if that helps.

Today, 10:19 AM
    HeartofTexas

Shadow, I just emailed the SIL and asked her to re-type the letters for us. I told her to start with the last letter first, and then the next to the last, as I think the last 2 letters probably will hold the most clues. The SIL has small children and a job, so it may take her a few days to do the letters. I'll let you know when I get them.

The 4th and last letter was dated on her sixteen birthda
    I just received an email from Rose's sister-in-law (married to Rose's brother), and she said she would start re-typing the letters referenced above today.

The SIL also said she would call some of the family members to get a description of Rose (color hair, color eyes, etc.). I'll post any info I get from the SIL.

A quick check of some of my resources shows a Rose Leanna Cole who graduated from a high school in NE in June of '73, at which time the Rose in question would have been almost 17.

Most likely a coincidence, but the name does not appear to be all that common and the similiarity in age makes the match intriguing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel For This Useful Post:

I'd never heard of Synanon before, so I did some looking and HOLY COW. Here are two of the articles I've found; they give me chills..

http://www.ptreyeslight.com/columns/...ly1126_03.html

http://thestraights.com/theprogram/synanon-story2.htm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amandab For This Useful Post:

I have never heard of them before. That is some scary stuff. I am glad Rose got away, and I hope she is OK. Seems weird that since she had been letting her family know that she was OK, that the letters stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    A quick check of some of my resources shows a Rose Leanna Cole who graduated from a high school in NE in June of '73, at which time the Rose in question would have been almost 17.

Most likely a coincidence, but the name does not appear to be all that common and the similiarity in age makes the match intriguing.
    The above was from post #4 on page 1 of this thread. Did anyone ever look at this Rose Cole closer? Rose would have just turned 16 not 17 but according to Julie (former Synanon member) that was pretty common for kids to finish High School at a very early age.
    Retired 08/03/03

Shadow, Isabella later discovered that Rose's middle name was actually Lena, and not Leanna. Don't know if that helps you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTexas
    Rose Cole was born December 23, 1956 in Flint, Michigan. Rose's full name is Rose Leanna Cole, but her family says she rarely used her middle name.

In 1972, at the age of 15, she was sent to Synanon Foundation in Oakland, CA for some kind of addiction (I'm assuming drugs).

For those who aren't familiar with Synanon, it was an unscrupulous drug treatment center whose clients rarely had a chance to leave once they arrived. Rose ran away from Synanon some time in late 1972 and wrote two letters to her family after leaving Synanon. To quote her sister-in-law:

I have written the SIL requesting data on Rose's description. I have also asked her to re-type the letters, since I assume they might offer more details about her circumstances at Synanon.

I've checked death and marriage records in California, and death records in all states, and no Rose Cole shows up. Nor does she show up on any public records or phone book directory.

As her SIL stated, they have not heard from her since December of 1972. Rose would be 49 now, and would turn 50 this December.

Once additional information is received on Rose, I'll post it.
    Oakland, California is a rough area.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    Oakland, California is a rough area.
    Oakland CA has rough areas but the entire city unfortunately gets stereotyped.

I went to the library today to look at microfilm on the Synanon. I happened to talk to the librarian who knows a professor that wrote a book about the Synanon. I have his address and # and will be contacting him tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by itsreenw

I went to the library today to look at microfilm on the Synanon. I happened to talk to the librarian who knows a professor that wrote a book about the Synanon. I have his address and # and will be contacting him tomorrow.
    Is this the book itreenw?

The Rise and Fall of Synanon : A California Utopia (Hardcover)
    by Rod Janzen "During the second half of the twentieth century Synanon was one of the most successful and most innovative communal societies in the United States..."
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    Is this the book itreenw?

The Rise and Fall of Synanon : A California Utopia (Hardcover)
    by Rod Janzen "During the second half of the twentieth century Synanon was one of the most successful and most innovative communal societies in the United States..."
    Yup!! That's the name of it. I actually wanted to find a book called "Escape from Utopia" but when I mentioned it to the librarian he seemed very familiar with Synanon. He also said Rose wasn't the only one that "ran away" and never made it back to the parents. He told me about his acquaintance, Rod that wrote a book about it. He pulled a card out and gave it to me with this man's email, mailing address and phone #. Small world. I am going to inquire about the # of people that are still unaccounted for. He said to also research the Pt. Reyes Light for more info.???

Books about synanon

Yup!! That's the name of it. I actually wanted to find a book called "Escape from Utopia" but when I mentioned it to the librarian he seemed very familiar with Synanon. He also said Rose wasn't the only one that "ran away" and never made it back to the parents. He told me about his acquaintance, Rod that wrote a book about it. He pulled a card out and gave it to me with this man's email, mailing address and phone #. Small world. I am going to inquire about the # of people that are still unaccounted for. He said to also research the Pt. Reyes Light for more info.???
    itsreenw,

Escape from Utopia: My ten years in Synanon (Unknown Binding)
    by William F Olin

For Sale at amazon.com

The Light on Synanon: How a country weekly exposed a corporate cult--and won the Pulitzer Prize (Unknown Binding)
    by Dave Mitchell

Availability: Available from these sellers.

10 used & new available from $1.90
    Retired 08/03/03

Oakland

Have you read Chris Darden's book. He grew up in Oakland.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

I lived in San Fran in 1975-76 myself, and remember it was a really weird time to be there. Patty Hearst was kidnapped, the SLA was setting fire to apartment buildings, etc. I remember reading in the newspaper (I think I was in Texas at the time) about the rattlesnake in the mailbox. As soon as I heard the name Synanon, I knew there was the potential for trouble in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTexas
    I lived in San Fran in 1975-76 myself, and remember it was a really weird time to be there. Patty Hearst was kidnapped, the SLA was setting fire to apartment buildings, etc. I remember reading in the newspaper (I think I was in Texas at the time) about the rattlesnake in the mailbox. As soon as I heard the name Synanon, I knew there was the potential for trouble in this case.
    From the time of Charles Manson and the Spann ranch forward, it was weird times out west. When that rattlesnake thing hit the airwaves, I remember being afraid to open my mailbox. LOL! I mean, if the attys could not protect themselves......eerie!

Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    Have you read Chris Darden's book. He grew up in Oakland.
    no I haven't read his book but I suppose if he is referring to the mean streets of Oakland, it was followed up with his story of becoming a succesful lawyer-cliche. My half-sister lived there through out her teen and adult life. She was much older than me and I loved going to her house on the weekends, She and her husband had a beautiful tri level home not far from Lake Merritt. My ex hubby's sports agent lives in Oakland as does my dear friend Vangie. Do you recall the Oakland Hills fires some years back? That was in Oakland. There is nothing rough about those areas. There are multi million dollar homes and exclusive neighborhoods there just as there are housing projects. As I said, Oakland has areas I wouldn't leave my car windows rolled down or door unlocked and it does have a high crime rate but the entire city is NOT rough Goody. By the sounds of things, Rose was safer on the streets of Oakland than behind the walls at Synanon. This will be my last comment on Oakland.

I don't know if this will help...I have spent hours tonight researching trying to find ex members/members of Synanon...so far I rec'd 3 emails back from former members but no one there during '72....all there much later...I hae several more emails out wtg for response. I am hoping to find someone that can shed some light on Rose's time spent there and/or get me onto that dag gum website.....so far the responses I have are ex members so they can not get on....or not willing to help me....not sure that I can get someone to help me, but I'm sure gonna try! I have found several names of members, so far about 6, I am going to research them and see if I can contact them.

Edit, Gotta quit fer da night....so far out of 12 emails sent since making this last post, 5 came back undeliverable Still wtg responses on the others.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

HOT...I rec'd the one email w/pages 11, 12, and 13....if you can finish emailing me the rest I will get them all together to post.

Do you want me to post the actual letters here, or retype, or prefer me to link to them so people can 'view by clicking'?

Christine,

Where are you finding the former synanon members listed?
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    Christine,

Where are you finding the former synanon members listed?
    Hiya Shadow....I have just been searching google and checking page after page after page of stuff coming up. I have found about 8 by google results on forums, where people are looking to connect w/other members...most of them are old though and I am getting mail returned I also have compiled a list of names that I am finding in stories, articles, books, etc online, and will try to find contact info on these people and email or call to see if they know anything about Rose. So, long story short, Google and lots of time and patience, weeding through everything that is coming up.

Unsolved Mysteries

I just submitted Rose's story to Unsolved Mysteries website...maybe they will post her story. I know the show airs on Lifetime, but I believe they are all reruns, not positive. Their website does have a submit your mystery link and I submitted...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448
    I just submitted Rose's story to Unsolved Mysteries website...maybe they will post her story. I know the show airs on Lifetime, but I believe they are all reruns, not positive. Their website does have a submit your mystery link and I submitted...who knows?
    Well, that didn't work

Dear Viewer,

Please accept our apologies for not being able to reply with a personal letter, and for any delay in responding.

As you probably know, UNSOLVED MYSTERIES is no longer on the air except in reruns on the Lifetime Channel. No new shows are planned at this time. Unfortunately, I must inform you that we will be unable to pursue your story.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us, and please know that our thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Sincerely,

Viewer Mail Department
    UNSOLVED MYSTERIES

Well, bummers. Thanks for trying, Christine.

Christine,

Since you already have the letter all typed up that you sent to USM, how about trying some other shows. Without A Trace might be a good one to try. They feature a different missing person each week and have them listed on their web site. I think that Greta would be a good one to try and get interested in Rose also. I'll look for some email addresses fro you.
    Retired 08/03/03

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast