> forged them into a new one.
    >
    XXXXX, you've done a terrific job in bringing this delicate young
    > girl to life for us, and XXXXX as well for not shutting out a bad
    > opening move by her relative, and giving her a .org page after she
    > proved out as a real sis...
    >
    > What became of her I have no more idea than anyone, I don't remember
    > her personally although her name gives a slight twinge of memory.
    > She may have vanished, some did from back then. But I now feel she
    > is back with us, the childish scrawl and phrasing of her letter is a
    > testimony of Oliver Stone's ideal of the sixties "people trying to
    > come to terms with turbulent times..." I'd reccomend that everyone
    > try finding the time to read her letter posted by XXXXX, its like a
    > window into a past that is lost forever but still lives within us.
    > (XXXXX I hope you vacumned this letter into her page).
    Last edited by christine2448; 04-09-2006 at 11:54 AM.

And the last email I had in my inbox this morning:

I remember Rose - she was tall and thin with long dark wavy hair -
    she wore a red bandana and had milky white skin, she was under 18.
    XXXXX remembers her also. I have posted many times about knowing
    Rose - maybe nobody saw my posts here, it wouldn't be the first tiome
    Yahoo did that, my first post was to XXXXX about her. My posts have
    gone unanswered... so I ask has anyone read my posts about Rose???
    Should I find them and re-post them?
    Last edited by christine2448; 04-09-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Christine,

Is this email from a former Synanon member? Where is she talking about posting several times?
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    Christine,

Is this email from a former Synanon member? Where is she talking about posting several times?
    On the Synanon site, I guess, everything I'm posting is coming in emails to me from the woman I met who lived there.

Wow, Christine, excellent work! Someone finally remembers her.

The part about leaving between Thanksgiving and Christmas definitely rings true for Rose, because that's when she left Synanon.

I'm confused about there being no bus to the clumps, but other than that everything seems to be validated.

I, too, think SF (and/or Marin) would be where she ended up. There was so much going on in SF at the time... Haight-Asbury and a huge street crowd... that going there makes the most sense.

And it all makes even more sense if we can determine whether or not Marin Jane Doe is her.

Rose mentioned something in her letters about maybe going to either Florida or Hawaii, so the Florida Jane Doe is also still a consideration.

Again, Christine, thanks for following through on this angle.

From another Synanon member:

• Another thought about Rose...only one letter or two came to Rose's family on Synanon letterhead right... well she wouldn't have had any paper to write on in the boot camp. It was not allowed in our foot lockers. Maybe after she split, Rose just told her family that she was in synanon, boot camp so that they wouldn't know that she had split...thats something that i might have done when new.XXXX

Dear XXX and XXXXX...I TOO remember Rose Cole...but NOT in the way that XXX does...I do not believe that Rose was a boot camp member...although my memory has been known to hiccup at the most inconvenient time...i am very sure of this memory. Does anyone remember the central kitchen at the ranch, where we would prepare all of the food used at the ranch and walker creek, and then truck it to its final location ? Well, there was a big bulletin board right inside the kitchens door that we food service folks used to post junk...and there was a heading in large block letters that said..NEW TO SYNANON FOOD SERVICE> and Rose Coles picture was posted on this site with the heading...new to Oakland kitchens...I had to keep this bulletin board neat and throw out outdated posts after each cubic week...I clearly remember XXXXXX XXXXX telling me to discard Rose's picture because she had split from Oakland. If she only spent two or three months in Synanon, it is unlikely
    that she would have been pulled into the Boot Camp that quickly...it is likely that she was told that she was going to be sent up to the boots, and got scared and split...we were not permitted to send letters out for the early bootcamp, remember XXX...XXXXX said that instead of writing home, we should concentrate on getting to know each other, become friends, and use our synanon games to air our problems.

If she only spent two or three months in Synanon, it is unlikely
    that she would have been pulled into the Boot Camp that quickly...
    I think there is a misconception that Rose was only in Syannon for a few months, but there is somewhere in one of her letters that she says, "it's been almost a year". Rose's SIL doesn't know when Rose went into Synanon but that doesn't mean that it was just a few months that she was there.... just that there is no paperwork to document the date she entered Synanon. As the above post states, letters weren't allowed in the first few months of Synanon, so Rose's 3 letters written while in Synanon would have come AFTER that period.

Please point out of I missed out xxxing anyones name so I cna fix..thanks

You didn't miss any names, Christine. I doublechecked.

[QUOTE=christine2448][font=Courier New]Dear XXX and XXXXX..."I TOO remember Rose Cole...but NOT in the way that XXX does...I do not believe that Rose was a boot camp member.. .and there was a heading in large block letters that said..NEW TO SYNANON FOOD SERVICE> and Rose Coles picture was posted on this site with the heading...new to Oakland kitchens..."

She is right, based on Rose's letter she went to Tamales Bay for a visit only with Ruth. She said to be interviewed to go there permanenlty but she declined the offer. This person's memories match the letters, I always assumed she was in the Oakland kitchen.

E-mails

[QUOTE=HeartofTexas]I think there is a misconception that Rose was only in Synanon for a few months, but there is somewhere in one of her letters that she says, "it's been almost a year".

Correct I don't have a specific date that info will be in the juvenile record. But the first letter I have was dated Oct 15, 1972. Which places at Syn. She was sent there sometime between 04-29-1972 and Oct 15, 1972.

Opal told me the other day that they were late for Billy's wedding because they have to pick up Rose at Jackson Juvenile facility in MI. She said this was in May but she didn't seem certain of the date.

I found Billy in the Genesse County records, he married his first wife 4-29-1972. This places Rose in Michigan.

Maybe she was sent there in MAY after the semester ended in Emerson.

Based on what we have learned, Rose would not have been allowed to write home for weeks once at Syn.

The letter you are referencing was dated Dec 23, 1972 in red ink pen. With a note in black pen "it's been almost a whole stinking, lousy year. . .Sorry but I just got a stamp! Feb 3, 1973".

Dec 15, 1972 is her Syn split letter. Based on all of this, and the assumption that she was sent there in May, her stay would have been 8 months.

If we assume that Rose went to Synanon June 1, 1972, then five months of introduction to Synanon would put the date at November 1. Six months would be December 1. Somewhere in that time frame is when the first letters were written, so I think the end of May or beginning of June of 1972 is a good bet when Rose went into Synanon.

Christine, is it possible you could email your source with that information and also tell them that she didn't start writing letters home until many months after she arrived?

What are the "games" they refer to at Syanon? Was this like therapy, or something more sinister?

Both... it was a very, very sinister game where everyone ganged up verbally on one person and cut them to shreds with their words. It was a group, and everyone sat in a circle and chose one person to attack. It went on for hours.

Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast