1279 users online (206 members and 1073 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    perrym,

to Websleuths and thank you for taking the time to let us know about the area.

Quote Originally Posted by perrym View Post
    I was at the Wheaton Plaza yesterday as I still live in the Kensington area. As I drove to the new Costco, the road goes right were the Lyon sisters would have crossed from their neighborhood. It was a large parking lot then and still is one now. Anyway, on my way home, I decided to go to their neighborhood which is the first left after leaving the plaza. Here is what I want to say: there are MANY DEAD END STREETS that abut the Plaza property. Many of the streets say "NO OUTLET". There really isn't a point here except that the area is still creepy in my opinion. I also saw the nursing home which really seemed depressing. It's a creepy area and it's perfect for a creep. I think it still is.
    Welcome to websleuths perrym! Has there been a lot of coverage locally about the recent press conference and any news not covered here? I just wondered.
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

There is no excuse for human or animal abuse.

I'm local (Severna Park, MD) and i haven't seen anything on the news since the press conference on Feb. 11th or 12th. I'm hoping to hear something soon...i'll keep everybody posted.

Quote Originally Posted by perrym View Post
    I was at the Wheaton Plaza yesterday as I still live in the Kensington area. As I drove to the new Costco, the road goes right were the Lyon sisters would have crossed from their neighborhood. It was a large parking lot then and still is one now. Anyway, on my way home, I decided to go to their neighborhood which is the first left after leaving the plaza. Here is what I want to say: there are MANY DEAD END STREETS that abut the Plaza property. Many of the streets say "NO OUTLET". There really isn't a point here except that the area is still creepy in my opinion. I also saw the nursing home which really seemed depressing. It's a creepy area and it's perfect for a creep. I think it still is.
    Thanks for the post perrym! I was born and lived in Hillcrest Heights, behind Iverson Mall until i was 6 until we moved to Clinton in 1976. I'm living in Severna Park now..right outside of Annapolis. I had planned on driving through the Lyon sisters neighborhood this weekend out of curiosity.

Local news

I did hear a local news station say that the police have received many phone calls since the press conference. This is all I have heard re local news. I will post anything else I hear on the local news.

The David Reed sighting story...

Originally Posted by Richard
    Only one person has reported seeing the girls later that day. At 7:30 that night, David Reed, 12, a seventh grader at Sheila's school, said he saw the two sisters walking in the opposite direction of their home near the intersection of Drumm and Faulkner headed toward the plaza. "I was coming from a friend's house from playing basketball," said David, "I passed them (on the sidewalk) and then I looked back. Why? They're girls." David said he had seen both girls before up at the community swimming pool and had seen Sheila at school.
    SBM

Quote Originally Posted by hollye View Post
    SBM

Not sure why I have missed this in the past...Is the time that DR reported seeing Sheila & Kate accurate? Was this followed up on? .....

--------------------
    I have commented on this at some length in another thread. The story of David Reed and his "7:30 pm" sighting of the girls appeared early on in the news papers and it was a news reporter that mentioned his name.

Police later (about the 28th of March 1975) stated that they felt the sighting was not consistant with other things they knew, and discounted it. The Police never said his name, but instead referred to David as a boy Sheila's age who knew the girls.

There are a number of possibilities regarding David's reported sighting, but it should be remembered that he did know both girls and reported having seen them immediately after learning that they were missing.

Many years later, David stated that he had seen the girls and remembered exactly where he had seen them.

It is my own feeling that David actually did see the girls, but probably at about 11:30 AM when they were known to have been heading for the mall and NOT at 7:30 (PM) when it would have been an hour past sunset. By 7:30 PM, Montgomery County Police and John Lyon had already begun searching the area for the girls.
    Last edited by KateB; 04-21-2015 at 08:27 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

As a father who has 2 daughters (ages 5 & 7) I often think about Katherine & Sheila Lyon and what they were like on a more personal level. I wonder simple things like what their favorite songs were and what their hobbies were...things like that. I would love to sit with the family and ask those questions. I think about them so much, esp. since i've stumbled on this web site. I grew up not far from Wheaton Plaza. I lived in Marlow Heights until i was 6 and moved to Clinton soon after in 1976.

What the girls were like...

Quote Originally Posted by cgoodwin22 View Post
    As a father who has 2 daughters (ages 5 & 7) I often think about Katherine & Sheila Lyon and what they were like on a more personal level. I wonder simple things like what their favorite songs were and what their hobbies were...things like that. I would love to sit with the family and ask those questions. I think about them so much, esp. since i've stumbled on this web site. I grew up not far from Wheaton Plaza. I lived in Marlow Heights until i was 6 and moved to Clinton soon after in 1976.
    I recently reposted parts of a Washington Star article by Mary Ann Kuhn. If you go to the thread on News articles near the top of the Lyon Sisters topic index, you will see her article of 6 April 1975. It is probably one of the most in depth articles of that time and it includes a lot of information about the girls, including what things they liked, what their room was like, what they wore, etc.

Early in the investigation, a man was reported to have been talking with the girls at Wheaton Plaza with a tape recorder and a microphone. He is referred to as "The Tape Recorder Man" or TRM in these threads, and he was the first individual to be considered a sort of "person of interest" in the search for the girls.

Immediately after the story and a police sketch of TRM was released to the news media, a number of people (some sources state as many as 15) reported having seen the same man or someone who resembled the sketch approaching young girls at other Maryland malls and shopping centers on other dates prior to the girls' disappearance.

Two of those shopping centers were located in your home town of Marlow Heights: Iverson Mall and Marlow Heights Shopping Center. Those sightings were on Saturday 22 March 1975, three days before the girls went missing from Wheaton Plaza. Iverson Mall became a point of interest, and MCP conducted a number of interviews in that area of Prince Georges County as a result of the reported sightings.

A few years later, in 1981, the area once again came to the attention of MCP investigators when Raymond Mileski was identified as a person of interest in the case. He had lived in Suitland, MD and had a cabinet business not far from those Malls in 1975. He had been convicted of killing his son and wife in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by cgoodwin22 View Post
    Welcome to web sleuths cgoodwin22 thanks for your posts any updates about the case from locals are much appreciated.
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

There is no excuse for human or animal abuse.

39 Year Anniversary

It was 39 years ago today, also a Tuesday, that Sheila and Katherine Lyon left their home for a trip to Wheaton Plaza shopping center. They were seen by a number of people that day, then they seemingly disappeared.

Thus began one of Montgomery County's longest running Missing Persons cases, and years of not knowing what became of Sheila and Kate.

Think of them today, and pray that some day they might be brought home.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    39 Year Anniversary

It was 39 years ago today, also a Tuesday, that Sheila and Katherine Lyon left their home for a trip to Wheaton Plaza shopping center. They were seen by a number of people that day, then they seemingly disappeared.

Thus began one of Montgomery County's longest running Missing Persons cases, and years of not knowing what became of Sheila and Kate.

Think of them today, and pray that some day they might be brought home.
    I will still never get over that people are never ever seen or found. I struggle so much. Please please let there be an answer to this case and these babies found.
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

All my posts are my opinion only.

How has the Lyon Case affected us?

There seems to be a block in place to prevent anyone starting a new thread in this Lyon Case Topic.

I attempted several times to start a thread to discuss how the case of the missing Lyon sisters has influenced Laws, Policies, Practices, and Operations in Montgomery County and the Washington Metropolitan area. Since I could not start a new thread, I decided to post to this older one which has not been posted to in quite some time.

How did this case affect the way that law enforcement, store security, and news media have handled similar cases since that day in 1975?

The disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon in March 1975 was cause for significant concern and a change in the minds of Montgomery County parents and their children.

Many posters who lived in that area have commented over the years on how their lives were affected by the girls' disappearance and on how their parents reacted by becoming more vigilent, more protective, and less permissive regarding where their children went.

Those who were children at the time have commented on how they, after becoming parents themselves, have been concerned of the dangers of children being allowed to walk to and from places without adult supervision.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-19-2015 at 09:50 AM.

"Free Range" Controversy

The disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon in March 1975 was cause for significant concern and a change in the minds of Montgomery County parents and their children.

Many posters who lived in that area have commented over the years on how their lives were affected by the girls' disappearance and on how their parents reacted by becoming more vigilent, more protective, and less permissive regarding where their children went.

Those who were children at the time have commented on how they, after becoming parents themselves, have been concerned of the dangers of children being allowed to walk to and from places without adult supervision.

Today, with the unsolved case of the Lyon sisters prominently in the news, there is another news story - also involving children in Montgomery County, Maryland. This story has been growing in hype on NBC. It has gone from a Local DC area story to the family appearing on the NBC Today show.

The case concerns how Child Protective Services in Montgomery County has been investigating parents of two children (ages 10 and 6) for allowing them to walk unaccompanied to a park last month. Child Protective Services interviewed both children at their school (without the parents' knowledge or permission) and have initiated preceedings with could lead to the children being taken away from the parents.

The parents of those children are are considering legal action and claiming that they believe in allowing children a certain amount of freedom. They live very close to Wheaton Plaza, and allow the children to walk, unaccompanied by adult, to several specific places such as two public parks and playgrounds. MCP picked the children up in December 2014 and took them to their home.

Another parent who also believes in the idea of "Free Range Children" (as termed in the news and by a recent book) was interviewed and she supports the views and rights of the parents in question. She states that the area is much safer than it was 20 or 30 years ago, and that parents should have the right to make decisions regarding where their children are allowed to walk without direct supervision.

While this particular case does not apply directly to the 40 year old case of Sheila and Kate - in fact, no mention of them has been made during the coverage - it does seem to show a complete turn-around in attitudes by some new parents.

Change in attitude since 1975 is particularly noted in the Montgomery County Department of Child Protective Services. The permisiveness allowed back then has become mandated policy today. Has it gone too far? Should parents have more say in when and where their children travel alone?
    Last edited by Richard; 01-19-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: clarity and spelling

I grew up in the 50's and 60's so life was very different than what it is now. We played outside until dark, and rode bikes all over town. No one ever made any threats or displayed any aberrant behavior towards us. We all know the changes in our world during the past few decades. As a grandparent, I wouldn't let my grandchildren go anywhere out of my sight. Pretending that young children should be free to roam on their own with no harm is a charming thought, but not reality anymore.

40 Years Ago...

This month marks 40 years since Sheila and Katherine Lyon went missing.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast