Elvis' Graceland To Be Designated Historic Landmark !

That's fine, but does that mean that federal monies will be utilized in the upkeep? If so, I'm against it. The estate makes enough money and I don't want my tax dollars used for this purpose.

Good news. Thanks for the post. I'm planning a trip to Graceland in May. I've been reading up on hotels in the area and there seems to be mixed reviews. Some people say that the Heartbreak Hotel is a dive and that you should stay in downtown Memphis (ie. Hampton Inn, Wyndham Gardens, etc). I've also read that the neighborhoods surrounding Graceland are unsafe. Is that true? Any opinions?

Glad to see there are other Elvis fans on the board!

jon_burrows said:
Good news. Thanks for the post. I'm planning a trip to Graceland in May. I've been reading up on hotels in the area and there seems to be mixed reviews. Some people say that the Heartbreak Hotel is a dive and that you should stay in downtown Memphis (ie. Hampton Inn, Wyndham Gardens, etc). I've also read that the neighborhoods surrounding Graceland are unsafe. Is that true? Any opinions?

Oh, if you are going to Memphis you have to stay at The 120 yo Peabody on Union Ave! It's in the heart of downtown so you are close to a lot of places, Riverwalk, the zoo, Beale Street and the Orpheum Theater. The Peabody is home to the Peabody ducks. They have been a fixture of the hotel since the 30's. They are housed on the roof in a special room/pool called the Duck Palace. Every day at 11 am a red carpet is unrolled and the duckmaster guides them down the elevator and across the red carpet into the big fountain in the lobby to the tune of the Cotton March. It's done again at 5 pm when they are taken back up.

One of the joys of my childhood was a yearly visit with my great grandmother, who was a true southern belle, to do the 'rounds' in Memphis. I was awed by the whole scene.

All cities have parts that are a bit seedy and Memphis is no different. It's one of the poorer cities and has places you don't go after dark. But, if you ask around once you are there, you'll soon find those areas and steer clear.

Can't beat the history, the blues and the food!

jon_burrows said:

My 11-year old daughter can't wait to go~!!! We're going to make the drive sometime this spring! I've never been, so I'm excited to see it.

Jeana (DP) said:
My 11-year old daughter can't wait to go~!!! We're going to make the drive sometime this spring! I've never been, so I'm excited to see it.

My husband and I went on our move out to California. It's smaller than you would expect it to be. His Mom and a few others are actually buried out by his pool :eek:

It was a cool experience though.

CaliMom said:
My husband and I went on our move out to California. It's smaller than you would expect it to be. His Mom and a few others are actually buried out by his pool :eek:

It was a cool experience though.

Thanks! After the two year construction pool/landscaping project in our own backyard, I wouldn't be surprised if my husband edits his will to specify that he wants to be buried out there! :D :D :D

I watched a documentary about the staff that catalogues and preserves all of the King's possessions. Looked like a super cool job!

Oh my gosh, :woohoo: and Yes!

I've been an Elvis fan since he became famous when I was just a little kid. All my kids love him and they are in their thirties. Elvis has fans of every age from all over the world.

My youngest daughter and I went to see Jailhouse Rock together at a local theatre that shows only old movies. (that cracks me up, I saw all his movies at the same theatre when they first came out,lol) Anyway , it was so fun!

There's no one like him. He was so talented, sooooooooo good looking, had more charisma than anyone, and his basic goodness shone through.

He was a better actor than people gave him credit for. But they made him do mostly cheesy stuff. But fans were just happy to see him and hear him sing in them. And he had a great sense of humor. That always was there too.

Obviously I could go on forever about Elvis but I'll quit now lol. Hope someday to see Graceland.

BhamMama said:
Oh, if you are going to Memphis you have to stay at The 120 yo Peabody on Union Ave! It's in the heart of downtown so you are close to a lot of places, Riverwalk, the zoo, Beale Street and the Orpheum Theater. The Peabody is home to the Peabody ducks. They have been a fixture of the hotel since the 30's. They are housed on the roof in a special room/pool called the Duck Palace. Every day at 11 am a red carpet is unrolled and the duckmaster guides them down the elevator and across the red carpet into the big fountain in the lobby to the tune of the Cotton March. It's done again at 5 pm when they are taken back up.

One of the joys of my childhood was a yearly visit with my great grandmother, who was a true southern belle, to do the 'rounds' in Memphis. I was awed by the whole scene.

All cities have parts that are a bit seedy and Memphis is no different. It's one of the poorer cities and has places you don't go after dark. But, if you ask around once you are there, you'll soon find those areas and steer clear.

Can't beat the history, the blues and the food!
Thanks for the tip on the Peabody. Sounds like a really nice and interesting place to stay. It’s funny that you mentioned the Peabody because I just read on another board that Lisa Marie stayed there with Nicholas Cage when they were together. I’ll have to check out the hotel’s web site.

It must have been so much fun to see the town with your Great Grandmother. I bet she knew all the great places to visit and eat.

montana_16 said:
Oh my gosh, :woohoo: and Yes!

I've been an Elvis fan since he became famous when I was just a little kid. All my kids love him and they are in their thirties. Elvis has fans of every age from all over the world.
I just became an Elvis fan this past year. I was flipping through the TV channels one day and came across the movie ‘Elvis and the Beauty Queen’. I heard the song ‘Separate Ways’ and I was hooked. From that point on I’ve read every Elvis book I could find. I’ve lost count of the number of DVD and VHS tapes that I’ve bought of his performances and documentaries, not to mention his music.

My youngest daughter and I went to see Jailhouse Rock together at a local theatre that shows only old movies. (that cracks me up, I saw all his movies at the same theatre when they first came out,lol) Anyway , it was so fun!
I was 11 when he passed away so the only thing I knew about him was his most famous songs (Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, Blue Christmas, etc). I didn’t even know that he did movies until this past year. I have so much catching up to do.

There's no one like him. He was so talented, sooooooooo good looking, had more charisma than anyone, and his basic goodness shone through.
I couldn't agree with you more. It's amazing how generous he was.

Obviously I could go on forever about Elvis but I'll quit now lol. Hope someday to see Graceland.
I could go on forever too. :)

:eek: Montana - what is this word "was" you refer to when speaking of The King ? Surely you don't subscribe to that old rumour that E has gone on to the great P'Nut Butter and Nanner Sandwich Shoppe in the sky, do you ? :(

lol

ps....sorry to take up another post but, if you haven't seen "Heartbreak Hotel" - the movie with David Keith in the role as Elvis, you owe it to yourself to. It's one I bought so I can watch it over and over - that and Harry and the Hendersons :D

luckyevan93 said:
:eek: Montana - what is this word "was" you refer to when speaking of The King ? Surely you don't subscribe to that old rumour that E has gone on to the great P'Nut Butter and Nanner Sandwich Shoppe in the sky, do you ? :(

lol

LOL- but you know deep in my heart I've always had this little hope that he just wanted to get away and he's really just kicking back in the country somewhere enjoying himself.

cool....Elvis fans on board! I've loved him my whole life, even though he died when I was 9. He and Tom are my life long obsessions. I have a very small tattoo of TCBw/lightning bolt behind my right shoulder. Didn't get it til last year, and I'm pretty sure I won't regret it. :) As much as I'm tempted now to get a Tom one, I don't dare..afraid it'll become a habit! Anyway, I've only been to Graceland once, but it was so worth the trip. The most special part to me was realizing how much of a "home" it was. It wasn't all that grand and you had to keep in mind that the last update it had in decor was in the 70s. He could have had anything he wanted, anywhere he wanted, but that was home to him and he loved it. You can just feel it in there. I would recommend going by way of Tupelo for anyone planning the trip and seeing his birthplace first, and staying at the Peabody for sure! I have a vhr tape of the official graceland tour that I bought while there. If any true blue Elvis fan really wants to see it before you make the trip, PM me and maybe I could mail it to you as a loan.If anyone still has a vhr player..lol..my son was still a baby when I made the trip. I would have to have it back though. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back