MS MS - Annie Swaim Hearin, 73, Jackson, 26 July 1988

Richard

Reaction score
Annie Laurie Swaim Hearin
Missing since July 26, 1988 from Jackson, Mississippi
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 73 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears.
Medical Conditions: Annie Laurie was diagnosed with ileitis, an intestinal disorder. She was required to take medications to regulate her condition, which could be fatal if not treated.
Other: Her maiden name is "Swaim."

Circumstances of Disappearance
Annie Laurie hosted her biweekly bridge club at her family's home on July 26, 1988. The meeting began at 10:15 AM and her last guest departed at approximately 2:30 PM. The Hearins' housekeeper left at 3:00 PM and Annie Laurie was alone inside the residence afterwards. Robert Hearin returned home by 4:30 PM and noticed that his wife's vehicle was parked in their driveway. When he did not locate her inside the house, he assumed she left with friends. Robert became concerned when Annie Laurie did not return by 7:30 PM. He called his son-in-law, who attempted to help him locate his wife. The authorities were summoned at 9:49 PM.

Investigators discovered drops of blood on the carpet and blood smears on the front door of the residence. Analysts determined that the blood matched Annie Laurie's type. Authorities believe that she may have been struck on the head by an intruder, as indicated by blood smears on the door. A ransom note was also found near the door, which was typewritten and contained numerous grammatical and spelling errors. The note stated in part: Mr. Robert Herrin, Put these people back in the shape they was in before they got mixed up with School Pictures. Pay them whatever damages they want and tell them all this so then can no what you are doing but dont tell them why you are doing it. Do this before ten days pass. Don't call police. The ransom note referred to School Pictures, a company that had been taken over by Robert in the late 1980s. The letter listed 12 franchisees of the the nationwide business, all of whom Robert was supposed to pay ransom for the return of his wife. The Jackson media agreed to withhold the story of Annie Laurie's kidnapping for 24 hours. Her abduction was announced at a press conference during the evening of July 28.

Authorities stated that they were searching for Newton Alfred Winn in early August 1988. Winn was a civil attorney from St. Petersburg, Florida and held a Florida School Pictures franchise in the early 1980s. Winn was ordered to pay the company over $153,000 after a court battle in 1984, four years before Annie Laurie's abduction. Winn's name was also listed on the ransom note as one of the 12 franchisees. Investigators also searched for a white van with Florida license plates that had been seen near the Hearins' residence on July 26. Neighbors said that the vehicle's driver matched Winn's description.

Robert made a public appeal for his wife's return in September 1988. He received a letter several days later that was determined to feature Annie Laurie's signature. The note stated: Bob, If you don't do what these people want you to do, they are going to seal me up in the cellar of this house with only a few jugs of water. Please save me, Annie Laurie The letter was postmarked from Atlanta, Georgia. Robert mailed one million dollars in ransom money to the 12 franchisees listed in the first note. Winn, who had been apprehended by that time, apparently returned his portion of the funds to Robert. Robert offered a reward for information leading to Annie Laurie's recovery later in September 1988. Her case was also featured on the NBC program Unsolved Mysteries. The episode generated numerous tips regarding Annie Laurie's abduction, including one from an anonymous caller who told authorities to continue investigating Winn.

Winn was convicted of conspiracy in Annie Laurie's case. He received a prison sentence of 19 years and 7 months in prison without parole. Winn attempted to appeal his conviction in 1996.

Annie Laurie was declared legally deceased in the 1990s. Robert died after a heart attack in 1990.

The Discovery Channel's program, FBI Files, featured Hearins disappearance in a December 2001 episode entitled Vanished. One of the series' producers said that he believed Annie Laurie's remains may have been disposed between the Texas panhandle and Louisiana.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Federal Bureau Of Investigation - Jackson, Mississippi Division 601-948-5000

NCIC Number: N/A
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Tuscaloosa News
The Sun Herald
The Doe Network: Case File 505DFMS

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/505dfms.html

The Mississippi Museum of Art (MMA) in Jackson, Mississippi, is pleased to announce the ninth exhibition in The Annie Laurie Swaim Hearin Memorial Exhibition Series.

Between God and Man: Angels in Italian Art, will open the Museum’s newly renovated facility in June of 2007, and will be on view through December 2007.

Source Information:
Jackson Convention & Visitors Bureau Jackson MS

Link:
http://www.visitjackson.com/

So.. this story left me wondering, who owned the other 11 franchises that money was sent to, did they recover any money other than what Was recovered from Winn, was Winn charged with anything and where is he now, Was it proven that the handwriting on the supposed letter from the wife was her handwriting, did the housekeeper have some involvement and was he/she questioned, was the blood on the doorway tested to be sure it was the wife's blood and couldn't they trace these franchise ownerships to owners with addresses and go bust these people ??

This is a really sad story, I hate all crime, but especially crime against elderly people and children.

poppypetals said:
So.. ... was Winn charged with anything and where is he now...??....
Winn was released from a Federal Prison this past April.

From the Federal Inmate Locator:

Name: NEWTON ALFRED WINN
Register Number: 09079-018
Race: White
Sex: M
Release Date: (Actual): 04-03-2006

Source Information:
Free inmate locator

Link:
http://www.inmatesplus.com/

poppypetals said:
...and why does it seem like there's always a "white van" ? :confused:
Not much mystery here, really. Most Work Vans are White. This may be for a number of reasons, such as white is more conducive to painting advertising on their side. But actually it is true that most large work vans used by contractors and businesses are white in color. There are probably ten white ones to all other colors combined.

Next time you drive or ride on a beltway or major highway check it out. A work van is like a panel truck - that is - there are usually not many windows in them, a name of the company appears on the side or back, and they often have ladder racks on top.

bumping up.

No doubt more people than just Winn were involved in this. It would be nice if LE would go back over the evidence with today's technology. The letters could yield DNA. It could possibly be established for sure that Annie was the one who wrote the letter to Bob. I certainly hope they didn't just leave her in a cellar to die of dehydration and starvation. What a horrible ordeal this must have been for Annie.

I never understood why her husband didn't immediately pay the ransoms. He didn't do it until he recieved the letter from Annie in September which was 2 months after she disappeared.

I have read multiple stories on this, and have yet to see a height or weight for her. Have I missed it? I find that kind of odd.

ok just found an old article, 5'4 120 lbs...: )

COLD CASE: The disappearance of Annie Laurie Hearin

On July 26, 1988, a high profile crime rocked Jackson and made national news - the abduction of a 72-year-old wealthy Jackson socialite.

Mrs. Annie Laurie Hearin had hosted a bridge club part at her home which ended that afternoon, according to Federal court documents.

The plot was laced with ransom notes, covert acts and the victims' fear of being sealed in a cellar.

The case was filled with a terrifying trail of evidence.

I never understood why her husband didn't immediately pay the ransoms. He didn't do it until he recieved the letter from Annie in September which was 2 months after she disappeared.

Also "Annie Laurie was diagnosed with ileitis, an intestinal disorder. She was required to take medications to regulate her condition, which could be fatal if not treated."

I wonder how long she could survive without her medication and whether a kidnapper could have acquired it for her during her apparent captivity.

Annie Laurie Swaim Hearin
annie_laurie_swaim_hearin_1.jpg
annie_laurie_swaim_hearin_2.jpg
annie_laurie_swaim_hearin_3.jpg

Annie Laurie, circa 1988
  • Missing Since 07/26/1988
  • Missing From Jackson, Mississippi
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 73 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 120 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description light-colored blouse and a khaki-colored linen skirt.
  • Medical Conditions Annie Laurie was diagnosed with ileitis, an intestinal disorder. She was required to take medications to regulate her condition, which could be fatal if not treated.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Annie Laurie's ears are pierced. Her maiden name is Swaim. She is stooped from scoliosis and arthritis.
Details of Disappearance

Annie Laurie was married to Robert Hearin, a prominent businessman, in 1988. She is originally from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The couple met while they were both enrolled at the University Of Alabama in the late 1930s. Annie Laurie worked as the school newspaper's women's editor. She was also chosen as one of the school's seven most beautiful students by actor Tyrone Power.

Annie Laurie and Robert married and relocated to Jackson, Mississippi afterwards. Robert enlisted in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He proceeded to work for United States Gas Company until 1955.

Robert joined First National Bank (later named Trustmark National Bank) and reestablished himself as a successful businessman. The family's estate was valued between $100 to $200 million dollars by the late 1980s.

Annie Laurie was well-known in Jackson society. She was a patron of the Jackson Symphony; president of the Jackson Opera Guild and the Jackson Junior League; and co-chairperson of the Mississippi Arts Festival.

Annie Laurie hosted her biweekly bridge club at her family's home in the 100 block of Woodland Drive on July 26, 1988. The meeting began at 10:15 a.m. and her last guest departed at approximately 2:30 p.m. The Hearins' housekeeper left at 3:00 p.m. and Annie Laurie was alone inside the residence afterwards.

Robert returned home by 4:30 p.m. and noticed that his wife's vehicle was parked in their driveway. When he did not locate her inside the house, he assumed she left with friends.

Robert became concerned when Annie Laurie did not return by 7:30 p.m. He called his son-in-law, who attempted to help him locate his wife. The authorities were summoned at 9:49 p.m.

Investigators discovered drops of blood on the carpet and blood smears on the front door of the residence. Analysts determined that the blood matched Annie Laurie's type. Authorities believe that she may have been struck on the head by an intruder, as indicated by blood smears on the door.

A ransom note was also found near the door, which was typewritten and contained numerous grammatical and spelling errors. The note stated in part:

"Mr. Robert Herrin, Put these people back in the shape they was in before they got mixed up with School Pictures. Pay them whatever damages they want and tell them all this so then can no what you are doing but dont tell them why you are doing it. Do this before ten days pass. Don't call police."

The ransom note referred to School Pictures, a company that had been taken over by Robert in the late 1980s. The letter listed 12 franchisees of the the nationwide business, all of whom Robert was supposed to pay ransom for the return of his wife.

The Jackson media agreed to withhold the story of Annie Laurie's kidnapping for 24 hours. Her abduction was announced at a press conference during the evening of July 28.

Authorities stated that they were searching for Newton Alfred Winn in early August 1988. Winn was a civil attorney from St. Petersburg, Florida and held a Florida School Pictures franchise in the early 1980s.

Winn was ordered to pay the company over $153,000 after a court battle in 1984, four years before Annie Laurie's abduction. Winn's name was also listed on the ransom note as one of the 12 franchisees.

Investigators also searched for a white van with Florida license plates that had been seen near the Hearins' residence on July 26. Neighbors said that the vehicle's driver matched Winn's description, and they identified his van as the one they had seen.

Robert made a public appeal for his wife's return in September 1988. He received a letter several days later that was determined to feature Annie Laurie's signature. The note stated:

"Bob, If you don't do what these people want you to do, they are going to seal me up in the cellar of this house with only a few jugs of water. Please save me, Annie Laurie"

The letter was postmarked from Atlanta, Georgia. Robert mailed nearly one million dollars in ransom money to the 12 franchisees listed in the first note. Winn, who was apprehended in March 1989, apparently returned his portion of the funds to Robert.

Robert offered a reward for information leading to Annie Laurie's recovery in September 1988. Her case was also featured on the NBC program Unsolved Mysteries. The episode generated numerous tips regarding Annie Laurie's abduction, including one from an anonymous caller who told authorities to continue investigating Winn.

In 1990, Winn was convicted of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, extortion, and perjury in connection with Annie Laurie's case. Two accomplices received immunity in return for their testimony against him at trial. He received a prison sentence of 19 years and 7 months in prison.

Winn, who maintains his innocence in Annie Laurie's case, was released from prison in 2006. No one was ever charged with committing the actual kidnapping.

Robert died of a heart attack in 1990. Annie Laurie was declared legally dead in 1991. She continues to be remembered by the Jackson art society and several events take place in her honor annually.

The Discovery Channel's program, FBI Files, featured her disappearance in a December 2001 episode entitled Vanished. One of the series' producers said that he believed Annie Laurie's remains may have been disposed between the Texas panhandle and Louisiana. Her case is open and remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Jackson, Mississippi Division
  • 601-948-5000
Source Information

ANNIE LAURIE.

Maxwelton braes are bonny
Where early fas the dew.
And it's there that Annie Laurie
Gie'd me her promise true;
Gie'd me her promise true.
Which ne'er forgot will he,
And for bonnie Annie Laurie
I'd lay me doune and dee.

Her brow is like a snaw-drift,
Her throat is like the swan,
Her face it is the fairest
That e'er the sun shone on;
That e'er the sun shone on,
And dark blue is her e'e,

Like dew on the gowan lying
Is the fa' o' fairy feet.
And like the winds in Summer sighing
Her voice is low and sweet;
Her voice is low and sweet.
And she's a' the world to me,

LINK:
Old Time Song Lyrics for 21 Annie Laurie

Robert Hearin returned home by 4:30 PM and noticed that his wife's vehicle was parked in their driveway. When he did not locate her inside the house, he assumed she left with friends. Robert became concerned when Annie Laurie did not return by 7:30 PM. He called his son-in-law, who attempted to help him locate his wife. The authorities were summoned at 9:49 PM. Investigators discovered drops of blood on the carpet and blood smears on the front door of the residence. Analysts determined that the blood matched Annie Laurie's type. Authorities believe that she may have been struck on the head by an intruder, as indicated by blood smears on the door. A ransom note was also found near the door, which was typewritten and contained numerous grammatical and spelling errors.
since Winn is maintaining innocence and was never charged with the actual kidnapping, only conspiracy to commit kidnapping, extortion and perjury, and two "accomplices" received immunity for implicating him in the crime, can I just question the timeline a bit here?

The husband gets home at 4:30, sees her car in the driveway but thinks she's out with friends. Doesn't notice the ransom note near the door or any of the blood drops or smears near the front door and isn't alarmed until she still hasn't returned by 7:30, then calls the son-in-law to help find her and they wait until 9:49 to call the police?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back