Alligator knocks on Fla. woman's door

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/K/KNOCKING_ALLIGATOR?SITE=FLDAY&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. (AP) -- So now the alligators are going door to door. When Lori Pachelli heard someone knocking at the door of her home in a gated community in this southwest Florida community earlier this week, she looked out to see an unwelcome visitor on her front stoop: an 8-foot alligator.

The bull gator, which had wandered up from the pond behind the house, had a bloody lip from banging its head against the door.

"He was pretty big, pretty aggressive," Pachelli said, adding that the gator may have followed her home from walking her cocker spaniel, Trooper.

Pachelli's husband, Mike, said he sped home after his wife called him in hysterics. The animal remained at the Pachellis' door for about an hour before going back into the lake, where trapper John French captured it later.

<!-- BEGIN MEDIA BOX NUMBER 2 --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=180 align=right><!-- BEGIN MEDIABOX 8199253 --><!-- $Id: MediaBox.java,v 1.5 2005/06/15 16:32:32 mike Exp $ --><TBODY><TR><!-- BEGIN MEDIABOX LEFT SIDE SPACER --><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD><!-- BOX_BOTTOM MEDIABOX LEFT SIDE SPACER --><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><!-- BEGIN PACKAGE 516386, 'X_BEHAVIORAL_STRANGE' --><!-- $Id: Package.java,v 1.5.2.1 2005/05/12 17:55:36 mike Exp $ --><!-- BEGIN HTML FRAGMENT ID 3886 --><!-- $Id: HtmlFragment.java,v 1.2 2005/04/13 16:09:33 mike Exp $- --><TBODY><TR><TD><SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://hosted.ap.org/specials/AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC_Header.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript>AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("SECTION", "STRANGE")</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC("http://te.ap.org/tte/blank.gif", "1.0")</SCRIPT>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><!-- END HTML FRAGMENT ID 3886 --><!-- BEGIN PACKAGE ITEM VERTICAL SPACER --><TR><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><!-- END PACKAGE ITEM VERTICAL SPACER --><!-- END PACKAGE 516386 --></TBODY></TABLE></TD><!-- BEGIN MEDIABOX RIGHT SIDE SPACER --><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD><!-- BOX_BOTTOM MEDIABOX RIGHT SIDE SPACER --></TR><!-- BOX_BOTTOM MEDIABOX 8199253 --></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END MEDIA BOX NUMBER 2 -->
French said it's not unusual to find male alligators in some pretty interesting places this time of year.

"You're starting into what's called the crawl season, the breeding season," he said. "We get them out of front porches, out of garages, out of swimming pools."

The Pachellis said they never dreamed an alligator would venture that close to the house.

"I've never seen them walking around (the neighborhood), let alone banging on my front door," Lori Pachelli said.

I would have been scared to death! My house would be up for sale in no time flat. :) I wonder if you would have to disclose the alligator story to a prospective buyer? I just hate snakes, allegators and big spiders.

No way, not in this lifetime. I would "freak" if I saw one of these things, let alone at my front door.

Seriously, I don't know how the people in Florida "live in peace" with these things.

I freaked when I saw a baby skunk out in the back.....let alone a gator "knocking" on the front door.

No thanks....one of the reasons why I will not retire to Florida, unless it is a nice Condo, away from creatures.

Just the thought of gators.....gives me shivers.......

With humans encroaching on more and more areas previously natural areas for wildlife, this doesn't surprise me. I'd hope that some ordinances would prevent total annihilation of the alligators habitable area. What with people wanting to live in 'pretty' places or be closer to wildlife, we're managing to move them out or have them die off. Kind of like the old joke about all the Walnut trees being cut down for the paving of Walnut street. I guess I'm nuts but I'd love to see a gator close up. I had a call once here to rescue one. Had no idea what to do but I grabbed up all the ropes, choke collars, flashlights I could find. My last rescue/rehab/release was 4 baby skunks and they were all a success. :)))))

My friend was in Florida, had to collect the mail down the drive and saw a gator and screamed and ran back into the house and refused to come out.

Her friend just said: Hey that is Ralph, he just came to say Hi.

My friend was already pouring herself a stiff drink.........or two or three.

When they had to go somewhere, she ran to the car with eyes darting from side to side.....and she never did venture farther then the porch.

I guess us Canadians who are not accustomed to gators slithering around are called "gator wimps", but I don't care. My blood pressure cannot take a "gator" sighting in my back yard......and a person should not have to defend themselves to get the mail.

luckyevan93 said:
With humans encroaching on more and more areas previously natural areas for wildlife, this doesn't surprise me. I'd hope that some ordinances would prevent total annihilation of the alligators habitable area. What with people wanting to live in 'pretty' places or be closer to wildlife, we're managing to move them out or have them die off. Kind of like the old joke about all the Walnut trees being cut down for the paving of Walnut street. I guess I'm nuts but I'd love to see a gator close up. I had a call once here to rescue one. Had no idea what to do but I grabbed up all the ropes, choke collars, flashlights I could find. My last rescue/rehab/release was 4 baby skunks and they were all a success. :)))))

Oh do I agree with you 100%! WE encroach on their territory then blame them for trying to make it in what used to be their home.

This sort of thing is happening in the area I live with mountain lions.
People are building in their habitat (and they need a wide range of area) and a couple of them have wandered down our creek (we believe) right into our city neighborhoods. Well, instead of trying to catch them, (and there was plenty of time) the police shot one dead.
It was lying on a tree branch after a dog chased it up there. It was scared and wasn't going anywhere, but they shot it anyways. Oh, was there an uproar around here about that situation. It did not have to be killed.
Seeing pictures of that beautiful creature lying there dead was sickening.

I could see it being done if it was an immediate danger to any human at the time but it was not.

I heard on the news this morning that PETA was upset because were were people . . . I'm not joking about this . . . wrestling 700 pound black bears. :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: First of all, whose stupid enough to do that??? For once, I agree with PETA. The bears are going to eventually take off someone's head and then they'll get shot for it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Jeana - so true - but, in most cases, the bears are already declawed and have certain teeth pulled, just so they can go into some smoky dive and wrestly some drunken redneck. I only know this because we were successful in getting this type of 'entertainment' outlawed here. It's just sad and depressing, what people will stoop to, using animals to make a buck for. Oh - the bears are tethered and muzzled too. Some fair fight, eh ???? :-((

luckyevan93 said:
Jeana - so true - but, in most cases, the bears are already declawed and have certain teeth pulled, just so they can go into some smoky dive and wrestly some drunken redneck. I only know this because we were successful in getting this type of 'entertainment' outlawed here. It's just sad and depressing, what people will stoop to, using animals to make a buck for. Oh - the bears are tethered and muzzled too. Some fair fight, eh ???? :-((

That's just not right. Seems to me that PETA is doing something right protesting this crapola.

Jeana (DP) said:
That's just not right. Seems to me that PETA is doing something right protesting this crapola.

Yes, this time PETA is doing what's right.

I'm a big animal lover and animal rights believer but I basially can't stand PETA because their antics tend to make things worse.
It seems they take away from the reasonable animal activists and supporters with their outrageous stunts.

montana_16 said:
Yes, this time PETA is doing what's right.

I'm a big animal lover and animal rights believer but I basially can't stand PETA because their antics tend to make things worse.
It seems they take away from the reasonable animal activists and supporters with their outrageous stunts.

I absolutely agree. I feel the same about the ACLU. Any good they may do is outweighed by the b.s. :innocent:

Jeana (DP) said:
I absolutely agree. I feel the same about the ACLU. Any good they may do is outweighed by the b.s. :innocent:

Yeah, I think most people tend to not want to go too far in most things. When certain boundries are pushed too far in any direction people tend to "turn off" or "put a shield "up.

I hope what I'm trying to say is making sense lol

I live in South Jersey. It's getting so built up ya can't put your trash out without wrestlin with the Jersey Devil!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back