OH OH - Charlotte Nagi Pollis, 28, Girard, 12 March 1994

Melly

Reaction score
I couldn't find any threads about these... if there are, I apologize for the duplicates...

One is Charlotte Nagi-Pollis:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1151dfoh.html

The other is a couple and I can't seem to find anything on them. If I remember correctly, their names were John and Shelly Markham. They had 4 or 5 children, the children came home one day to find their parents gone. Noone has seen or heard from them since...

Woman missing for 20 years
March 12, 2014
By VIRGINIA SHANK - Staff reporter (vshank@tribtoday.com) , Tribune Chronicle | TribToday.com
GIRARD - Today marks 20 years since Charlotte Nagi Pollis was reported missing, and family members said they haven't given up hope that one day someone will be held accountable.

"It's been 20 years of built-up frustration. It's like no one really cares anymore. But we care,'' her brother, Ali Nagi of Youngstown, said. ''I think about it every day. I look at her case every day. There are a lot of questions, and I know there are people who have the answers. We're just hoping they finally come forward."

Nagi said he realizes the case went cold at least 15 years ago, but he's hoping that advances in technology and social media connections can help net new leads for investigators. Pollis' husband, Paul Pollis, reported her missing from their Girard home on March 12, 1994. Charlotte Pollis, who was 28, has never been found. Investigators have said they believe they know who is responsible, but they have never been able to gather enough evidence to prove it.

The current Doe Network link and photos: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1151dfoh.html
CPollis.jpg
CPollis1.jpg
CPollis2.jpg

Hey guys,it wont let me share link,but plz check out 220UFIL doe network...i submitted it to doe network...and they said theyv e received other tips for the two as potential matched.*MP missing 3/1994,DOE found5/1/95,but ME states she was deceased a year prior.*both had c sections*both were wearing lounge/sleeping attire*both heavy build*both pictures eerily similiar*MPdisappeared in a neighboring state of Ohio,DOE found in Illinois,467mile drive,a6hour one way trip .not un do-able for someone trying to hide a body.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/220ufil.html

good call cafegirl... I had just come here now to post this same thing..... I really think that this jane doe looks soo much like Charlotte. I wonder if this is her??

Hey guys,it wont let me share link,but plz check out 220UFIL doe network...i submitted it to doe network...and they said theyv e received other tips for the two as potential matched.*MP missing 3/1994,DOE found5/1/95,but ME states she was deceased a year prior.*both had c sections*both were wearing lounge/sleeping attire*both heavy build*both pictures eerily similiar*MPdisappeared in a neighboring state of Ohio,DOE found in Illinois,467mile drive,a6hour one way trip .not un do-able for someone trying to hide a body.

Just watched the rerun episode of this on Unsolved Mysteries. The whole deal with the shed and the footprints just seems so suspicious to me. Such a shame that they have never found Charlotte's body. Without that and/or any evidence of an actual crime scene, LE does not have sufficient evidence to charge anyone for this very obvious murder/cover up.

One thing I found strange was the link to the Doe Network, states that the UID has straight, dark brown hair with a reddish tint but the model is clearly showing a brown, shoulder length curly hairstyle. The sketch above does show a more straight type of hairstyle. The Charley Project describes Charolette's hair only as black/brown, but all of the pictures that are posted of her, show her with medium length curly hair. I am unsure if Charlotte had naturally curly hair or if she permed it. Perms were very big back then so it is possible she does have normally straight hair but kept it permed. I just found it strange that the Doe Network would describe the UID as having straight hair but the model with a curly hairstyle.

With that being said, the fact that they did have an image of the UID with a curly hairstyle, makes it even more plausible to me that this could possibly be Charlotte Pollis. I see that Cafegirl submitted a possible match and I wonder if there was ever any word back from LE? It really looked to be a great match and it would be wonderful if Charolette was finally found.

Girard’s Charlotte Nagi Pollis still missing 25 years later | News, Sports, Jobs - Tribune Chronicle

"Dozens of people showed up at Girard First United Methodist Church Saturday afternoon to remember Charlotte Nagi Pollis, who was reported missing from her Girard home on March 12, 1994.

Tuesday marks the 25th anniversary of her disappearance, and her brother, Ali Nagi, continues to search for answers. He follows up on every lead or tip he and the Girard Police Department receive.

“I get a lot of people contacting me through social media, giving me leads,” said Nagi, of McDonald. “My phone is constantly blowing up with people telling me this or that.”"

Did anyone notice this comment under that same 25th anniversary article?

"Sonya Miller
Not sure if my lead ever got followed up on. My Uncle (RIP) had told me that he showed up to a car wash business or such and washed his truck out. He had bags that got buried behind the house on 46 there where that guy that shot those kids lived.
Like · Reply · Mark as spam · 1 · 33w"

What the heck? That seems significant and specific. I would think the news site, or someone, would have alerted authorities to this. Maybe it didn't pan out.

Last edited:
This Charlotte Pollis case is horrific. Mother/Wife disappears without telling anyone where she was/what she's doing; no trace of her is ever found; her purse is left at the home, when her husband says she never leaves the house without her purse; husband is the prime suspect; suspicious events surrounded the disappearance, but no real physical evidence - just circumstantial.

It seems evident that PP (the husband) was hiding something in the backyard shed. If he wasn't, why did he allegedly get so bent out of shape when Charlotte's family asked to see what was in there?! Was Charlotte's body (or other incriminating evidence, i.e. bloody clothes) in the shed?! If so, it was almost certainly moved at a later time.

Did PP's parents help him clean up the crime scene, if there was one?! It seems they might have.

The blood stain found in the trunk of the car didn't seem like it was enough to convict anyone; but, this was somewhat suspicious none-the-less.

• charlotte_pollis_1.jpg
  • charlotte_pollis_2.jpg
  • charlotte_pollis_3.jpg
  • pollis_charlotte4.jpg
  • pollis_charlotte5.jpg
Charlotte, circa 1994
  • Missing Since 03/12/1994
  • Missing From Girard, Ohio
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 07/04/1965 (58)
  • Age 28 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'7, 260 - 300 pounds

• Clothing/Jewelry Description Pajamas.

• Medical Conditions Charlotte was taking medication at the time of her disappearance for an ear infection. Her medicine was left behind.

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Black/brown hair, brown eyes. Charlotte's ears are pierced. Her nickname is Char. Her maiden name is Nagi and some agencies may refer to her as Charlotte Nagi Pollis.

Details of Disappearance​

Charlotte was sick with an acute ear infection on March 11, 1994. Her husband, Paul Edward Pollis, took her to the hospital for treatment that evening while his parents cared for their two children at their residence in Girard, Ohio. Paul's family departed when the couple returned some time later and Charlotte called her mother. She has never been heard from again.

Charlotte's mother phoned her daughter's house at approximately 8:50 a.m. on March 12, the following morning. Paul told her Charlotte was still asleep. He told authorities that she awoke shortly thereafter and he said he told her to rest.

Paul said he took their children with him while he ran errands. He claimed that they stopped at the pharmacy, the laundromat, the scrap yard and a fast food restaurant before driving around the neighborhood to look at houses for sale. Paul stated that they returned home at approximately 4:00 p.m.

He discovered that Charlotte was not at their residence and said that he assumed she was feeling better and went out. Paul said he became concerned at approximately 7:30 p.m. that evening. He found his wife's purse in the house and called several friends to inquire as to her whereabouts.

Charlotte's family arrived at the couple's home when she could not be located. She had apparently left the house without her winter coat, wearing only her nightclothes. Charlotte's sister told authorities that she saw two sets of footprints in the snow leading from the side door of the residence to a small shed in the yard. The second set of tracks led back to the house.

Her sister stated that the shed doors appeared to be bulging and she asked Paul for the key so she could investigate inside. Charlotte's sister claimed Paul became angry and refused her request. Charlotte's brother returned to their home the following day and saw that the shed doors were closed normally. He looked inside and noticed that all of the items had been shoved to one side.

One of the couple's neighbors told investigators that she saw Paul standing near the couple's vehicle on March 12. She said that the car was packed with bags and boxes. The incident occurred during the time that Paul claimed he was running errands with their children. Other witnesses claimed that they saw Paul traveling through Girard during the day Charlotte vanished, but said that their children were not with him.

Authorities searched the Pollis residence and found that it had been thoroughly cleaned shortly beforehand. Charlotte's brother claims he saw a blood-spattered blanket and two bloodstained pillows in the house, but these items were not recovered.

A human blood stain was found in the trunk of Paul and Charlotte's vehicle, but was too small to be analyzed for DNA or blood type. Paul initially agreed to take a polygraph test, but never arrived as scheduled. Investigators discovered he had disappeared from his home and left a note behind. The letter stated that he loved his wife and would never intentionally harm her.

Paul returned three months later, claiming he had been suffering from mental anguish and needed time alone. Police filed charges against him for obstructing their investigation. The charges were later dismissed, however. Paul has maintained his innocence in Charlotte's disappearance. He remarried and moved to Howland, Ohio sometime after his wife vanished.

He has been in trouble with the law several times. The most serious incident was in 2006, he and his second wife were charged with money laundering; they embezzled $1.6 million from a dialysis clinic. The charges against Paul were reduced in exchange for his cooperation. His wife was convicted and sentenced to 25 years in prison. A photo of Paul is posted with this case summary. Since the embezzling incident he has been arrested several times for offenses including felony drug possession and probation violation.

According to her family, Charlotte had been acting as if she felt troubled just before her disappearance. She asked her brother to take care of her children if anything happened to her. Her brother asked if Paul was abusing her and Charlotte said no.

There is no known history of violence in the Pollis marriage. Charlotte's family believes she was the victim of foul play and Paul was involved in the incident. They said the footprints in the snow indicate Paul had assistance moving Charlotte's body from the home.

There have been no arrests in Charlotte's case, which remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Girard Police Department 330-545-0211

Source Information​

Updated 8 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 11, 2019; picture added, details of disappearance updated.

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Charlotte Pollis was sick on March 11, 1994, the day before she vanished. That night, the grandparents looked after the couple's two children while her husband took Pollis to the hospital for treatment of an acute ear infection. After returning from the hospital, the grandparents left, and Pollis phoned her mother. It was the last time anyone has heard from her.

At 08:50 the next day, Pollis's mother phoned her. Her husband answered and said that Pollis was still sleeping. The husband says that he last saw Pollis shortly after that phone call. He says he told her to stay in bed and rest, and then he brought the children off for a day of errands.

When the husband returned he found that Pollis was gone, and assumed she was at her mothers, or with another family member. As the night went on, Pollis' family called to see if she returned. Pollis did not contact any family, or friends that day, which is very unusual. A missing report was made at approximately 23.00 on March 12th, 1994. The report was filed by her husband, at the request of the family.

On March 13th, 1994 a search for Pollis was conducted, since she was not heard from, and concerns of her welfare started to grow. A search of the area provided no information, nor did the subsequent canvass of the neighborhood. There were no signs of foul play at the time, but it was not ruled out.

When police came to check the house, investigators found that the house was spotless, having been cleaned from top to bottom. Investigators did find a stain of human blood in the trunk of Pollis' car, but the sample was too small to allow positive identification.

Pollis left without a purse, money, or identification. Also both of Pollis' winter coats were still in the house, along with her jewelry, and shoes. Pollis has never contacted her family, which is very unusual since she would call her mother, or other members multiple times a day. Family members feel that Pollis would never leave her children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back