1018 users online (212 members and 806 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,103

    Exclamation Do not knock off the Easter bunny

    why whack the bunny?


    City officials in St. Paul, Minnesota removed a toy Easter Bunny from the offices of the city council after the city's human rights director said non-Christians might be offended by the display, reports the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
    Also removed were Easter eggs and a sign saying "Happy Easter."

    "I sent an e-mail that Easter is viewed as a Christian holiday and advised that it be taken down," said Tyrone Terrill, the city's human rights director. "It wasn't a big deal."

    The PiPress reports that this is not the first time city hall has been embroiled in controversy over religious displays. Red poinsettias were apparently banned from the building several years ago after someone decided they were "too connected to Christianity."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows
    why whack the bunny?


    City officials in St. Paul, Minnesota removed a toy Easter Bunny from the offices of the city council after the city's human rights director said non-Christians might be offended by the display, reports the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
    Also removed were Easter eggs and a sign saying "Happy Easter."

    "I sent an e-mail that Easter is viewed as a Christian holiday and advised that it be taken down," said Tyrone Terrill, the city's human rights director. "It wasn't a big deal."

    The PiPress reports that this is not the first time city hall has been embroiled in controversy over religious displays. Red poinsettias were apparently banned from the building several years ago after someone decided they were "too connected to Christianity."
    To think that bunnies and eggs are Christian symbols shows a level of stupidity seldom seen in humans, lol! They are more offensive TO Christians, if anything. It's like Christmas, the vast majority of people celebrate it in some way, including secularly like with the Easter bunny and eggs, and more than likely the few that don't won't think too much of it. This is truly stupid. It isn't like they displayed a crucifix.


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,103
    Dark Knight I thank-you for the post.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,681
    Christians celebrate Easter to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Some trappings of modern Easter celebrations, however, pre-date Christianity and have ancient pagan roots.

    When second century Christian missionaries wanted the Saxons to accept Christianity, they decided to use the name Easter for this holiday so that it would match the name of the old Spring celebration. This made it more comfortable for those converts to accept Christianity and still retain some of their heritage.

    The Easter eggs and bunnies are reminents from the Pagan tradition of spring and fertility.

    But Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday are all Holidays celebrated in the Christain faith to commerate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

    So to say that Easter is a Christain Holiday is correct and to also say "some non Christians" may be offended by the display of this Holiday is correct also.


    You see not everyone is Christian, some people are Jewish and they don't celebrate Easter they celebrate Passover according to their faith. Passover has a whole different meaning to the Jewish faith, but means "nothing" to Christians.

    So keep the Happy Easter sign, but also make sure you put up a "Happy Passover" sign to ensure that one religion is not "recognized" publicly and another is not.

    Or don't display any signs which is fair to all.

    How anyone can "think" that at Easter, egss and bunnies do not represent the "Christian Holiday" and are not symbols of this "Christian Holiday" needs to rethink their facts and logic.

    I wonder if that is why all of the commercial are on TV now advertising easter eggs with low and behold a bunny.....go figure........they don't seem to appear at other times of the year, only at ta da - Easter.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    On the bank of Lake Pontchartrain
    Posts
    1,777
    And ya know what? Most of us who are not Christain and don't celebrate those holidays really don't care what you display or dont display. Heck I even let my kids hunt eggs with the Church group across the street. Does that change who they are or what we believe? No I dont think so. You are more than welcome to come to Temple and if you know anyone of a different faith ask them about their holidays.

    I think it's stupid to go so overboard to make sure that others aren't upset. Passover has been a part of the world a lot longer than Easter and I dont see it changing. Personally, I'd be upset if I saw a happy passover sign or a commercial about it. Makes it trival in my eyes when it's a very Holy holiday.

    Maybe more should be upset that they have taken your holiday and made it into a commercial jingle and taken the reason you celebrate it out of the whole affair. I know if I hadn't told my kids they'd not know why you celebrate it, they'd only know the commercial side of it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama
    And ya know what? Most of us who are not Christain and don't celebrate those holidays really don't care what you display or dont display. Heck I even let my kids hunt eggs with the Church group across the street. Does that change who they are or what we believe? No I dont think so. You are more than welcome to come to Temple and if you know anyone of a different faith ask them about their holidays.

    I think it's stupid to go so overboard to make sure that others aren't upset. Passover has been a part of the world a lot longer than Easter and I dont see it changing. Personally, I'd be upset if I saw a happy passover sign or a commercial about it. Makes it trival in my eyes when it's a very Holy holiday.

    Maybe more should be upset that they have taken your holiday and made it into a commercial jingle and taken the reason you celebrate it out of the whole affair. I know if I hadn't told my kids they'd not know why you celebrate it, they'd only know the commercial side of it.



    THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFUL POST~!!!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    To think that bunnies and eggs are Christian symbols shows a level of stupidity seldom seen in humans, lol! They are more offensive TO Christians, if anything. It's like Christmas, the vast majority of people celebrate it in some way, including secularly like with the Easter bunny and eggs, and more than likely the few that don't won't think too much of it. This is truly stupid. It isn't like they displayed a crucifix.
    LOL, this is sooo true..


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama
    And ya know what? Most of us who are not Christain and don't celebrate those holidays really don't care what you display or dont display. Heck I even let my kids hunt eggs with the Church group across the street. Does that change who they are or what we believe? No I dont think so. You are more than welcome to come to Temple and if you know anyone of a different faith ask them about their holidays.

    I think it's stupid to go so overboard to make sure that others aren't upset. Passover has been a part of the world a lot longer than Easter and I dont see it changing. Personally, I'd be upset if I saw a happy passover sign or a commercial about it. Makes it trival in my eyes when it's a very Holy holiday.

    Maybe more should be upset that they have taken your holiday and made it into a commercial jingle and taken the reason you celebrate it out of the whole affair. I know if I hadn't told my kids they'd not know why you celebrate it, they'd only know the commercial side of it.
    Well said!!!!


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,395
    Thank you for this! You say what I think! LOL!

    I must say, all this hoopla over how people celebrate their holidays in nonsense! Because I want to celebrate Easter I can't celebrate it my way because I might offend someone? What about offending me by telling me I must celebrate it by not celebrating it?!?! Just hard to digest something like this...

    I respect people's rights to celebrate their holidays their way why can't these idiots respect my rights to celebrate it my way? UGH!


    Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama
    And ya know what? Most of us who are not Christain and don't celebrate those holidays really don't care what you display or dont display. Heck I even let my kids hunt eggs with the Church group across the street. Does that change who they are or what we believe? No I dont think so. You are more than welcome to come to Temple and if you know anyone of a different faith ask them about their holidays.

    I think it's stupid to go so overboard to make sure that others aren't upset. Passover has been a part of the world a lot longer than Easter and I dont see it changing. Personally, I'd be upset if I saw a happy passover sign or a commercial about it. Makes it trival in my eyes when it's a very Holy holiday.

    Maybe more should be upset that they have taken your holiday and made it into a commercial jingle and taken the reason you celebrate it out of the whole affair. I know if I hadn't told my kids they'd not know why you celebrate it, they'd only know the commercial side of it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    On the bank of Lake Pontchartrain
    Posts
    1,777
    Wow, y'all are welcome lol

    I find it kind of fascinating and sad all at the same time. I see the beginnings of division just like in the old country between religious lines, except these are like self sanctioned divisions. Besides the fact that our country stands for personal and religious freedoms, do we really want to turn into what our forefathers fought against?

    And what baffles me more? Christians are doing this to other Christians. I've never seen photos of old Jewish ladies en masse chasing and throwing matzah balls at anyone because of how they celebrate a holiday. They'd be more inclined to feed you than boink you on the head.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,629
    Beautiful posts BhamMama. I totally agree. I was with Cyberlaw in the first part of her post, as my mother knew all the old customs and taught them in Sunday School, as an example of how customs of one culture came to be celebrated as part of another. Then she lost me. Again, just like with the Christmas/Hannukah season, Easter and Passover are now up for those bitter individuals with an agenda to spoil it for all people.

    I know all about Passover. My ex was Jewish and I am closer to his relatives still than he is or was. My two Episcopalian sons were given the honor at the seder to ask the question, "Why is this night different from any other night?" His family was all-inclusive and loving.

    The Easter Bunny and the thrill of hunting for eggs are things children enjoy and we shouldn't ban them because someone somewhere may or may not be offended. We need to get over ourselves and get a grip on what's important. The fact that Easter is a deeply religious holiday shouldn't keep us from the joy of celebrations for the children to welcome Spring. Spring is a time of renewal as Easter is a celebration of Christ's resurrection, which is also a renewal of life.

    BTW, I still receive lovely Passover cards from cousins.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,593
    It's a pretty sad day when someone is worrying about the Easter Bunny being offensive to other religious groups but so true and that should be where we draw the line. I am not Christian or of any other faith so these holidays are celebrated by me for cultural and traditional reasons mostly. As an example since it's the only one I can think of at the moment but how about Cinco De Mayo (sp) for instance? I have no idea what they are celebrating but if it looks like fun I'm up for it and I'm not hispanic either. I used to go the Greek festival and that was fun but I'm pretty sure they were celebrating something. I look at most holidays as occasions kind of like a birthday or anniversary.

    This is supposed to be a free country where you can think what you want so if anyone is offended by someone else's religion, beliefs, etc. Tah, Tah oh well too bad mind your own business. I personally am offended by those who get offended. Exactly who is it that it's going to offend? Another religion? Foreigners? Creed, race, gender? If we can't have our easter bunny and santa claus or baby jesus beliefs public and celebrated then nobody else can either. Culture, religion, festivals and shows etc. imo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, TN
    Posts
    1,221
    Never here much over Halloween displays being taken down.... That to me is evil in its self.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,681
    City officials in St. Paul, Minnesota removed a toy Easter Bunny from the offices of the city council after the city's human rights director said non-Christians might be offended by the display.

    This was a smart move as people who are offended often sue for big bucks.

    Respect for all people regardless of their religious faith is the point to this story.

    Just like a business can refuse to serve black people or non Christians, or whatever. But they will pay the consequences. It is a Human rights issues and the City Council unless they are all Christians will offend others that are not. Again, it is called respect for different religious views, and not promoting a Christian holiday when not all are Christians.

    www.wikipedia

    The racial makeup of the city was 67.02% White, 11.71% African American, 1.13% Native American, 12.36% Asian (mostly Hmong and Vietnamese), 0.07% Pacific Islander, 3.84% from other races, and 3.87% from two or more races. 7.91% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
    Saint Paul has the world's second largest urban Hmong population.

    Do you really think considering the diverstiy of the racial makeup of this city that all of the citizens are "Christian" and all celebrate a Christian Holiday.

    Either you "observe" all religious Holidays or none. You cannot observe one Holiday and not others, you cannot assume that all people are Christian.

    Back in the "olden days" schools used to have "Christmas" pagents, but guess what that is assuming that all people celebrate Christmas and all people should celebrate Christmas though the pagent at school. To respect all religions and not offend any person, it is now called a "Holiday pagent" as not to discriminate against non christians and not alienate anyone who does not observe Christmas.

    Religion is a Human Rights issue.......and you are violating a person humans rights for a City to promote Christiantiy over any and all other religions.

    Trust me when I say that when you promote one religion over another at a public building, you are just asking for trouble.

    It is called respect.............as in respecting all people and all differing religious views.

    Even at my firm, I have a Holiday party because everyone is included, respected and valued. Even if they are Christian or not. Everyone attends and is welcomed. I do not allow any one religion which is mine, to undermine any other. I have food from all different cultures also. We don't sing Christmas carols, we don't put up a Christmas tree. If someone at my firm "display" an Easter symbol of Christianity, they would be asked to take it down, because they can display symbols on their own lawn or own home where they adhere to this relligion, but not in a public setting, with a diversity of my employees.

    You see I would not want to offend anyone........that is called OMG respect.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,593
    I'm not christian or any other denomination Cyberlaw and I understand exactly what you are saying as I too would not want to offend anyone over such an issue so my thoughts and feelings that I was trying to convey is not to show favortism over any one group or the majority or minority. The thing with the Easter Bunny imo is just one more example of many where Americans are just getting fed up and sick and tired of it all because it has gotten extreme. What I was trying to point out is that I don't see where something like this is gonna help because on the other hand if there's such a big fuss over this then the christians you refer to can start making the same argument towards non-christians. Instead as the free country we are supposed to be all should be accepted and respected and the law should be everyone's guideline without personal opinions of someone's beliefs, celebrations, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Easter Bunny Gets Pummeled by Boy at Mall
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 12:22 PM
  2. Easter Bunny Arrested For Harrassment!
    By VespaElf in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 02:31 PM