1129 users online (214 members and 915 guests)  

Websleuths News

Dining Out W/Your Pets

I think pets are great, but I don't like this idea. I would pick restaurants that didn't allow pets. I love children too, but most of the time I don't pick restaurants that are family oriented. I used to frequent those restaurants all the time when my sons were young, but I like quiet and low key now since I am an empty nester. How do others feel about pets sitting at/by the tables in restaurants? If this happens all over, I sure hope the pet owners who take their pets to dinner make them behave better than some parents make their children behave in restaurants.

Bill Would Allow Pets At Diners' Tables

Snip:

Soon, you may not need a doggie bag at some Florida restaurants.
    Lawmakers are considering a bill that would allow dog owners to dine with their four-legged best friends.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...rre&id=4032561

From the article it sounds like Dogs may join patrons at outside tables only.

I would think that health codes would not permit anything else.
    At outside tables I have no problem.
    But I am sure in short order it will become a prblem eitherway as you pointed out parents don't always have well behaved children in restaraunts.. I am guessing it will be a huge issue the first time some spoiled brat is running loose and a dog nips them.

here in Germany they bring their dogs everywhere..I had to sit by a lady and her dog at McDonalds when I brought the kids there last week and I don't know it was just kind of weird.Oh and you can smoke in McDonalds here too..I hate that and i'm a smoker. I don't smoke in my house or my cars or anywhere near my kids never have.

In Sydney there is a pet cafe where you can sit with your dog, and even order a "doggycino" for your pooch!!

Quote Originally Posted by solidarity
    In Sydney there is a pet cafe where you can sit with your dog, and even order a "doggycino" for your pooch!!
    A "pet cafe" is a good idea! It might sound a little strange, but I bet they get a lot of business. "doggycino"

My sisters lives in Baltimore and there is a restaraunt there that lets you bring dogs and they serve them while you eat. I prefer to leave my dog at home.

sharpar is offline If dogs dont go to heaven I want to go where they are
    Dogs in grocery stores and restuarants in Europe is nothing new . In restuarants most of the time you dont even realize there is a dog there. They were laying under the table or sitting next to the owner and very well behaved. They arent being served an entree ----

We have several restaurants around here and some places that I have visited where dogs were welcome at the sidewalk tables outside. I don't have any problem with that at all. My dogs are in my living and dining room at home so why would it bother me while dining out. As long as there are no "accidents". I'd rather eat around dogs than bratty kids any day.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. Whenever I eat one of my chihuahua's always sits on my lap. She is very well behaved, that is just her spot. I think it's cute, she lays on top of my napkin.

How much fun would it be to send the dog's meal back because it had a hair in it or something? LOL
    "It seems that this is larger than I am. More than I can handle. Yet I know that I am being carried, for I am not strong enough to carry myself. I do not have the answers now but one day I will know and understand and maybe one day I will help to carry another." Joanne Cacciatore~

I live in the UK and dogs are not allowed in any type of restaurant/cafe etc. In fact there are very little places that dogs are allowed nowadays. They are not even allowed on certain parts of the beach, but it's ok for horses to go anywhere on the beach and leave their whooping $hit!!! It's a shame really, because in the summer my husband and I love to go out for the day and take the dog with us, but we are forever checking first that dogs are allowed!! It's not like we can't clean up after them, we don't have rabies in the UK, so what's the problem???

Another thing, with regards to cats and restaurants. If you would like to have 10 or so cats join you when eating in a restaurant, just go to Tunisia! My husband and I went to a restaurant in Tunisia a couple of years ago and I am not kidding you, because of the heat, the windows were open and the cats were all sat on the windowsill. As soon as a waiter came through from the kitchen with an order, the cats literally dive off the windowsills and follow the waiter to the table, meowing all the way! Then , you have to put up with the cats jumping up at you and clawing at the tablecloth whilst you are eating, constantly meowing all the time for some of your food! In the end I think my husband gave more than one of them a 'shoe sandwich'!!!

I ate in some of the finest restaurants in France a few years back ($150 for lunch alone!), and many patrons had their dogs with them. The dogs were very quiet and pretty much slept under the tables. OTOH, if my dogs were in a restaurant, we would be asked to leave because mine are boisterous, overly friendly and think anyone's table scraps are up for grabs! Perhaps it's what the dogs are used to, or how they've been trained, that makes them acceptable dining guests. I doubt it will ever catch on here in America, though.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTexas
    I ate in some of the finest restaurants in France a few years back ($150 for lunch alone!), and many patrons had their dogs with them. The dogs were very quiet and pretty much slept under the tables. OTOH, if my dogs were in a restaurant, we would be asked to leave because mine are boisterous, overly friendly and think anyone's table scraps are up for grabs! Perhaps it's what the dogs are used to, or how they've been trained, that makes them acceptable dining guests. I doubt it will ever catch on here in America, though.
    Yes you're right, I meant to put that in my previous post. Dogs can be trained not to hang around tables begging for food and will sit quetly, whereas cats will do whatever they want, when they want, to whom they want and don't give a hoot about anything if there are scraps of food going!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizziedripping
    Yes you're right, I meant to put that in my previous post. Dogs can be trained not to hang around tables begging for food and will sit quetly, whereas cats will do whatever they want, when they want, to whom they want and don't give a hoot about anything if there are scraps of food going!!!!
    I don't know about that "training" dogs bit. My little toy poodle is a begger for sure! ...She is so darn cute~!