872 users online (122 members and 750 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Surgeons remove two fetuses from infant

Strange!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12056405/
    Two-month-old Pakistani girl in critical condition after operation

I have never heard of this before. It is amazing the little girl went through this!

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat1
    Strange!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12056405/
    Two-month-old Pakistani girl in critical condition after operation

I have never heard of this before. It is amazing the little girl went through this!
    That is weird. I mean that would be like the youngest pregnant woman ever, even though it wasnt the normal way...... Very strange..

I have never heard of anything like this either. I hope the little girl will be okay.

Snips from the article:

Surgeons operated on a 2-month-old Pakistani girl Tuesday to remove two fetuses that had grown inside her while she was still in her mother's womb, a doctor said.

Abbasi, the chief doctor who led the operation, said the case was the first he was aware of in Pakistan of fetus-in-fetu, where a fetus has grown inside another in the womb.

Abbasi said surgeons removed the two partially grown fetuses, totaling about two pounds, that had died at about 4 months.

Infant gets 2 fetus's removed from her...

Oh my. Chimira's no doubt.

An infant has an operation removing 2 fetus inside of her. Supposed to end up as triplets......

WOW.... as Kramer stated on Seinfeld - "God is a MADDDDDDDDDD SCIENTIST".

Oh dear. Poor babe. She's in critical condition. I pray she survives.

The discovery channel (I think it was) had a few shows about this.
    According to the documentary many more women are actually pregnant with twins then once was thought.
    But often the one fetus absorbs the other.

The have recently found a few cases where this has happend and when the Baby (female) grows to adulthood and has children of her own the DNA doesn't match that of her child.

I never heard the part about the DNA not matching. I have heard of this sort of "internal twin" thing. In older children and adults it is sometimes referred to as a parasitic twin. The one fetus became stunted as a tiny fetus and the other grew around it, absorbing into some area of their body. THis has been found in various organs that have been surgically removed. There was even one guy on TV that had the tiny (seriously deformed) face of his parasitic twin growing out of the side of his neck.

Did you ever see the movie Basket Case? It's about a guy who had his partially developed twin removed from his side and the twin lived so he carries it around in a basket. It makes him do evil things. It's the absolute worst most stupid hammy movie I've ever seen. It was supposed to be a horror film but we laughed all the way through it.

It was so bad that they made a sequel, making fun of the first one. And then a part 3 came out. Unreal.

I read about a little boy with his twin in his stomach. I guess anythings possible, we have conjoined twins and all. Some people are born with a very tiny twin connected to them that just didnt develop, there was an actor who had a twin the size of a thumb removed from his shoulder when he was born....I just cant think of the actors name. He still has the scar from what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    The discovery channel (I think it was) had a few shows about this.
    According to the documentary many more women are actually pregnant with twins then once was thought.
    But often the one fetus absorbs the other.

The have recently found a few cases where this has happend and when the Baby (female) grows to adulthood and has children of her own the DNA doesn't match that of her child.
    Wow, interesting stuff, thanks for the info and posting, never heard of this before. Just googled (imagine that) fetus-in-fetu and found a ton of articles, studies, information. Learn somethin' everyday!

I had a friend who was expecting twins and, very early on, one of them stopped growing and became calcified. The remaining one kept growing and eventually was born. Her doctor mentioned that before ultra-sounds were available, many people would never know that they were originally expecting twins. I guess this is a similar case, only that there was three of them, and the other two became inbedded in the third.

Hope the little one makes it!!

well the mad scientist GOD creates so many wonders..... watched Documentary tonight where there were "TABLOID" births that were finally shown what the REALITY was.

One lady was pregnant for 18 years... gave birth to a STONE baby. Esentially, she had an ETOPIC pregnancy... child actual grew substantially and then the body protected it by "shutting it off" from the rest of the body and fed calcium to the unknown object within its body.... thus turning the baby to stone.

I find all of this utterly amazing. It answers some questions to transexuals..... women born with male organs vice versa.....

I knew a girl in college that had female problems. She went to the doctor and they discovered she was missing 1 of her female organs. They ran further tests and found that she was genetically a male. Not only did she not believe it, she was furious that anyone would suggest that was even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wood
    I read about a little boy with his twin in his stomach.
    I think that I saw the medical review show on TV about this boy. He was about 8 when his twin was removed. I don't know all of the medical terms, but the twin was a parasite meaning the twin embedded in the boy and took nutrients from the boy. The twin would not be able to live on its own. When they removed the twin, it was essentially a honeydew size head with dark hair that must have been 10 inches long. There was no body. The head had a brain that appeared to function and had distorted facial features. I think the head was using an umbilical type attachment to get nurishment and growth. Because the twin that was removed had been alive and growing there were issues of whether it was conscious and whether it was humane to remove the head from its life source. I think the doctors said that the boy needed to have the twin removed to survive, much as people need to have cancer (which are living cells) removed to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops
    I knew a girl in college that had female problems. She went to the doctor and they discovered she was missing 1 of her female organs. They ran further tests and found that she was genetically a male. Not only did she not believe it, she was furious that anyone would suggest that was even possible.

Yeah, that would be hard to cope with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow
    I never heard the part about the DNA not matching. I have heard of this sort of "internal twin" thing. In older children and adults it is sometimes referred to as a parasitic twin. The one fetus became stunted as a tiny fetus and the other grew around it, absorbing into some area of their body. THis has been found in various organs that have been surgically removed. There was even one guy on TV that had the tiny (seriously deformed) face of his parasitic twin growing out of the side of his neck.
    It was just a fluke that it was discovered.
    They showed two cases.. One the women had some health issue I believe and they tested all her family for a match..
    The second case was a young mother who had 2 or 3 children and was in the process of legal proceedings wth the father /DCF over child support.
    SO they did the paternity test and for a long time the court believed she was lying to get extra money. She was actually pregnant when this happend so when the new baby was born its DNA did not match either.
    Basically how it was explained was that the women themselves had two Different DNA strands in their bodies. Thought to have been created by them being twin fetuses at conception. The Doctors who tested them discovered that some of their organs typed as the one DNA and some organs as the other that did match their children. Also they each had a couple of children and if memory serves me 1 or 2 of the children did match the original DNA taken.

The scientist studying this felt that even though so far they have only documented these two cases, its very likely that more exist but not to many people have either health issues or legal ones that would cause a need for DNA testing. Rarely are DNA tests done between mother and child.
    The scarry part here is that our legal system relies heavily upon DNA testing.
    The two cases documented where both women but certainly it could happen to a male as well.
    It leads me to wonder about paternity tests that come back negative. In some cases the women insist its not possible for it to be negative and that the man they claim is the father truly is.
    Then there are criminal cases where DNA exonerates someone yet all evidence points to them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast