Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Beaten, raped and had racial slurs yelled at her.

Beaten, raped and had racial slurs yelled at her.

What exactly is wrong with Duke University's athletes?

Outcry at university assault grows in Durham

DURHAM, N.C. Hundreds of college students and community members marched to decry sexual violence Wednesday night, gathering just blocks from the house where a young woman who was hired as a private dancer said she was raped by members of Duke University's lacrosse team two weeks ago.

Duke University students have expressed their outrage after Durham Police said a black women claimed she was beaten, raped and had racial slurs yelled at her by at least three Duke lacrosse members.

Court documents show that police seized items including digital and Web cameras, laptops, a makeup bag, K-Y Jelly and five false fingernails from that home. The woman reported that she scratched her attackers and lost fingernails in the process.
    "There were bruises that were consistent with a sexual assault," said Durham County District Attorney Michael Nifong. "There was also behavior that was consistent with having gone through a traumatic experience."

Investigators are awaiting results of DNA tests on 46 members of the team, whose captains have denied that an assault took place. The only black member of the team wasn't tested because the woman said her attackers were white.

"I don't want to rush into this," Nifong said. "I keep hoping some of these kids will have an attack of courage and conscience."

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...n/14222979.htm

Don't know but there seems to be lots of evidence

This case definately looks bad for the athletes as there is much consistency with a sexual assault in the details...what the hell? Did they think they could just get away with this? It's a good thing the woman acted right away but I can't believe the cops waited 2 days to get a search warrant...lots can be erased...she even knew the names....that is damning.................

Some people just don't get it. The Civil War is over and the South lost. Civil rights, desegration, and all that. This is just awful. Imagine the outcry if all the attackers had been black and the victim white? Going into such a situation as a "dancer" leads one to believe she was not Miss Goody, but she sure did not deserve this.

It doesn't matter if she was a dancer....she was trying to make a living and she was hired to do a gig- not to be raped...........yes, the mentality of the old south lives on..............if only Reconstruction had been successful and the south had been remade........instead, through an accident of history, Andrew Johnson, racist, became President and thus we are still dealing with the remnants today...........I hope they throw the book at these arrogant guys.....

Uhmmm just cause this was the South don't mean it was based on Civil war history folks. It has happened in other states too ya know. We dont have the worlds only rapes or racist people.

It could have easily have been a hispanic, asian, jamacian or white girl, she just happened to be the one there.

I'm not condoning their behaviour, it was the basest thing ever. To use your strength over a woman to take what you want is wrong, wrong, wrong. I hope they all get what they deserve. The racial slurs were unforgivable. They each should be punished to the fullest extent of the law and I hope they are made examples of.

But let's leave the locality out of it please. Ugly happens all over.

The starting Quarterback for the Naval Academy's 2005 football team, Lamar Owens was charged with rape on February 21. The victim was a female cadet.

Au Contraire- locality has quite a bit to do with it

Sorry, but I believe that many of the old attitudes never die...if she were white, I don't think she would have been raped.....not in this case.............history is passed on subconsciously and it is a fact that the old south tried to hang on by hook or crook to Jim Crow and keeping blacks "in their place." This rape is just another example...heck, there were Jim Crow signs in some parts of the deep south well into the 1970's............

I got to say I have always lived in the south. I have never in one inch of my breathe cast a dispersion on a living soul that happened to be black or gay. I just don't do that kind of thing. Yes, there are others that do that but don't group us all together in a common cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Some people just don't get it. The Civil War is over and the South lost. Civil rights, desegration, and all that. This is just awful. Imagine the outcry if all the attackers had been black and the victim white? Going into such a situation as a "dancer" leads one to believe she was not Miss Goody, but she sure did not deserve this.
    My guess is that if the attacks had been black and the victim white - we wouldn't be reading about it. Nevertheless that said if the perpetrators didn't like her profession, didn't like her race - well, then why hire her? What they did- is beyond me. What is especially appalling is that no one of courage and conscience has come forward. The team should be banned.

On the contrary, if they attackers had been black and she white, we would most definitely still be reading about it. The media always pounces on stories about white female victims.

Obviously, the crime is appalling if everyone involved were green and purple. But the racial slurs may add a hate crime charge to this sickness. I say, do it and throw the book at them.

You know what really gets me? EVERY, and I mean EVERY ignorant, racist who hurls racial slurs around and treat blacks (or other minoritys) like they can do or say whatever they want, and propose to HATE them will always rape the woman. They claim this intense hatred but it never seems to stop them from raping a black woman if given a chance. Why is that? Even back in slave days when people regarded them as almost animals, still the slave masters raped and had children (that they ignored) by the slave women. Seems to me they never really felt that way at all. They just needed an excuse to help in their keeping slaves in the first place. Raping the women shows they apparently never felt they were animals. But, rape the women they did.

And, it's the same today. Racial slurs will be thrown around, men who claim to hate blacks will rape a black woman. Seems to me if you hate someone, you want nothing to do with them. It makes me sick. My own father was a racist. Calling blacks n***ers, even getting a black lawn jockey once and saying he was going to put a sign on in saying, "I am a ******." BUT, my mother found out he had been hanging at a brothel of sorts in our town and that my dad had a sexual encounter with a black woman.

All my life I've just wanted to scream at people like this that if you hate them so much, just stay the hell away from them! A lot less black women would be raped by white men if these so called "racists" who say they hate blacks would stop being hypocrits and stay the hell away! I'm sure the black women would be more than happy with that situation!

If the allegations of rape and assault are true, I think the ones who did this would have also done it to a white dancer. They were probably drunken idiots. I kind of agree with the poster who said that, if this were a white dancer, it would not have made the news. I think that it would have made the newspaper in the back pages.

The media, known for loving scandals, will milk this one for all its worth. Has Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton gotten involved yet?? Look for them to join the rally on campus when enough news organizations pick up this story.

ETA: If, through DNA, it is proven that these college kids raped this women, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This conduct is totally inexcusable.
    Last edited by nanandjim; 04-01-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    If the allegations of rape and assault are true, I think the ones who did this would have also done it to a white dancer. They were probably drunken idiots. I kind of agree with the poster who said that if this were a white dancer it would not have made the news. I think that it would have made the newspaper in the back pages.

The media, known for loving scandals, will milk this one for all its worth. Has Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton gotten involved yet?? Look for them to join the rally on campus when enough news organizations pick up this story.

ETA: If, through DNA, it is proven that these college kids raped this women, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This conduct is totally inexcusable.
    Yeah, I can hardly wait for the two good Reverands to get involved.

There is no excuse for this. None. I was raped when I was 16, and no one came to my rescue. The person that did it to me was a total animal. But, it was a white on white crime.

They need to be prosecuted to the fullest exent of the law. NO DEALS!
    My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA

I AM NOT saying that I believe this to be true, but...
    on Abram's yesterday, there was talk of this being a set up. On the 911 call about the racial slurs, first the caller says they were driving and then she says they were walking. The clothes and things left behind are being called part of the set up to make it look like she ran out in a hurry. This is what the defense lawyers will be using to defend their clients.

I don't feel like I know enough about this case to make a call one way or the other. But my first instinct is to believe the girl.

I'm thinking that she isn't lying. I mean they recovered fake fingernails which she said she lost while being raped.

Are these morons out on bond?
    My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA

I don't think anyone has been charged yet for bond to be a question.
    I want to hear more about this story before I can make a decision on what happened. The different versions in the 911 call bother me.

I also want to know more about the crime--but, what strikes me is the number of athletes in many different schools who think is OK to assault women. It happened at University of Iowa with Pierre Pierce and a female basketball player and its happened at other schools . I think these drunken jocks might have raped anyone- black or white!!IMHO

I don't think it was a set up......there was so much that rang true from the woman not getting out of her car and telling someone at a store that she had been raped to her demeanor according to the police to the fact that she knew the 3 names................I wonder who is floating the idea that it was a "setup?" Perhaps lawyers for the guys...........and not all would give their DNA until ordered to......................

Quote Originally Posted by bnhall
    I AM NOT saying that I believe this to be true, but...
    on Abram's yesterday, there was talk of this being a set up. On the 911 call about the racial slurs, first the caller says they were driving and then she says they were walking. The clothes and things left behind are being called part of the set up to make it look like she ran out in a hurry. This is what the defense lawyers will be using to defend their clients.

I don't feel like I know enough about this case to make a call one way or the other. But my first instinct is to believe the girl.
    I saw parts of that too. I think I'll sit back and wait for the evidence on this one. Although I can easily see a group of arrogant jocks doing this there are a couple glitches I'd like resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper
    I think I'll sit back and wait for the evidence on this one. Although I can easily see a group of arrogant jocks doing this there are a couple glitches I'd like resolved.
    Why worry about evidence? According to ABC even if DNA tests are inconclusive some players could still face charges. I guess there's going to be a few nervous jocks.

Quote Originally Posted by dr dona
    I also want to know more about the crime--but, what strikes me is the number of athletes in many different schools who think is OK to assault women. It happened at University of Iowa with Pierre Pierce and a female basketball player and its happened at other schools . I think these drunken jocks might have raped anyone- black or white!!IMHO
    I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by kylie
    Sorry, but I believe that many of the old attitudes never die...if she were white, I don't think she would have been raped.....not in this case.............history is passed on subconsciously and it is a fact that the old south tried to hang on by hook or crook to Jim Crow and keeping blacks "in their place." This rape is just another example...heck, there were Jim Crow signs in some parts of the deep south well into the 1970's............
    I don't think I can agree with the allegations that this happened because this girl lived in the south. I live in North Carolina and yes I see racism here. However, I travel alot and certainly see it in every part of the country. Also keep in mind that Duke University is a very prestigious University with a very diverse student body. I am willing to bet that most of these players are from many different parts of the country and not from the south at all. I tend to believe that these men would have done the same to any woman in this situation. These men were most probably very "priviledged" youth and were used to getting whatever they wanted. I certainly hope that justice is served if these allegations against these men are proved true...no matter what color their skin is!

Quote Originally Posted by spclk
    I don't think I can agree with the allegations that this happened because this girl lived in the south. I live in North Carolina and yes I see racism here. However, I travel alot and certainly see it in every part of the country. Also keep in mind that Duke University is a very prestigious University with a very diverse student body. I am willing to bet that most of these players are from many different parts of the country and not from the south at all. I tend to believe that these men would have done the same to any woman in this situation. These men were most probably very "priviledged" youth and were used to getting whatever they wanted. I certainly hope that justice is served if these allegations against these men are proved true...no matter what color their skin is!

And we need more people like you.We have to speak and not color with racial provocations. If it is true, then we look at entitlement issues. Not the color of skin.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    And we need more people like you.We have to speak and not color with racial provocations. If it is true, then we look at entitlement issues. Not the color of skin.
    I wish it wasn't true - but the fact that: the perpetrators were white, the was victim black and that racial slurs were uttered makes this a colour issue.

A neighbor of the students where the rape happened was doing an interview and telling how they are a public health menace. Trash was being thrown on lawns, noise late at night, public urination, etc. I feel so bad for anyone who has to put up with drunken partying male students who live in a family neighborhood. I've been all through that with the public urination, wild parties, a drunk man walking into my home thinking it was the sorority party, etc. Society calls some people trailer park trash but some of these kids with money are the trashiest and most disrespectful of anyone.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast