GUILTY MO - Melvin 'Beau' Griesbauer, 44, murdered, Novinger, 23 March 2006

BJS

Former Member
Reaction score
Early on the morning of Thursday, March 23, Melvin 'Beau' Griesbauer was found dead outside his home in rural Novinger, Missouri. Griesbauer died of a single gunshot wound to the head. A Winchester 30-30 rifle was laying next to his body. Following a preliminary investigation and autopsy, the death was ruled a homicide.

When law enforcement arrived at the scene, following two 911 calls--one originating from the scene--Griesbauer's wife Elain Kay Young and her friend, Kathy Mock of Cassville, Mo., were present.

After a weeklong investigation by the Adair County Sheriff's Department and the Missouri State Highway Patrol's Drug and Crime Control Unit, Adair County Prosecutor Mark Williams filed a first-degree murder charge against Kathy Mock. Some of the evidence leading to Mock's arrest came from an interview with her son, Thomas Ponder, who told authorities his mother had told him Kay Young wanted her husband killed and there was a $10,000 payment to anyone who would kill him. According to Williams, Mock may not be the only arrest for Griesbauer's death. Investigators are pursuing other charges of first degree murder or conspiracy to commit murder.

I am a freelance writer researching this homicide for a possible true crime book. I'm looking for any information that might be available about the individuals involved: Elain Kay (Hammons) Young, Kathy Mock, Thomas Ponder, Melvin Griesbauer, and interested in other contacts who might have insights and information about this murder.

I don't have any information but this sounds interesting.

I too would like to hear any news related to this case.

Please weigh in if you are familiar with any aspects of this saga.

Crime scene for sale in Northeast Missouri
(NOVINGER, Mo.) The home where a Northeast Missouri man was murdered last month is now up for sale.

Forty-three-year-old Melvin Griesbauer of Novinger was shot in the head in front of the barn on the 92-acre property almost two weeks ago.

The asking price for the four-bedroom house on Penny Royal road just off Route O is $290,000.

Greisbauer's wife, Kay Young, put the home up for sale last Friday.

"She still is a person of interest. We are watching her moves, what she is up to basically; so we knew about her putting her place up for sale, but again we're not in a position to make any further arrests at this point in time, nor are we prepared to arrest her. We are waiting on some lab tests."

More: http://www.ktvotv3.com/Global/story.asp?S=4727238&nav=menu124_2

Kay Young was arrested on a first degree murder warrant on March 17, 2008. She is being held on a $2.5 million cash-only bond.

What is extra interesting is that Kay is linked to another death the authorities are calling suspicious.

Kay's mother, Celia "Novinger" was exhumed last month.Celia was a descendent of the man who founded the town.
The house for sale was the original homestead. Kay ended up with it although she had siblings. I don't think it was still for sale at the time of Kay's arrest. (But that might change)

Tons of local talk about the circumstances of Celia's death. But, as the husband was insured for $1million+ there is even more talk about the husband's death.

There is a picture of Kay and her husband getting married here:

http://www.badgirlscrimeblog.com/

There is also a picture of Kay, info about the murder and links to a video about the exhumation and Kay's arrest. A female "friend" has also been charged with Kay's husband's murder and there are links to more about that too.

I don't have any information but this sounds interesting.

It is VERY interesting. In my opinion, because so much has not been made public, it is going to be a "don't miss" trial. There are lots of twist and turns. (IMO)

Not only is Kay a descendent of the man the town was named after, she was also a school superintendent.

When I was married to my ex, we lived in Missouri for 20+ years and I still have lots of friends there. This is an especially interesting case to me.

I think BJS has the foundation for a really fascinating book.

It is VERY interesting. In my opinion, because so much has not been made public, it is going to be a "don't miss" trial. There are lots of twist and turns. (IMO)

Not only is Kay a descendent of the man the town was named after, she was also a school superintendent.

When I was married to my ex, we lived in Missouri for 20+ years and I still have lots of friends there. This is an especially interesting case to me.

I think BJS has the foundation for a really fascinating book.

Hello, again, Jolynna!

This case is full of surprises and a new twist surfaces almost daily.

I see from your knowledge of Novinger, the Hammons home, etc. you've done much of the same research I have. Interesting stuff.

About the stuff not made public, I think when all the investigative team has becomes public (not likely to happen until trial) we will all be stunned.

Hello, again, Jolynna!

This case is full of surprises and a new twist surfaces almost daily.

I see from your knowledge of Novinger, the Hammons home, etc. you've done much of the same research I have. Interesting stuff.

About the stuff not made public,I think when all the investigative team has becomes public (not likely to happen until trial) we will all be stunned.

Hi BJS! Welcome to websleuths!!

Do you have any ideas about who will represent Kay? Kathy Mock's lawyer is Public Defender, Donna Engels.
Mark Williams the Prosecuting Attorney seems highly regarded.

Do you have any ideas about who will represent Kay? Kathy Mock's lawyer is Public Defender, Donna Engels.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been registered here for almost two years, but haven't generated many people close to the murder on this site. So I concentrated more on the Northeast Missouri area forums, trying to find sources there who might have background/other info on the players in the case. Naturally, there would be some, and many of those did come forward. Some are reading, but remain quiet as they will be called to trial. Others, Young's supporters, seem to have now faded into the background.

To date, Mock is using a public defender. Interesting about Engels: she was assigned that case and working it, but wasn't admitted to the Missouri bar until four months after she began representing Mock. She (or someone) must have been able to keep Mock very quiet for a very long time, as Mock was sitting "mum" in her cell for months.

There is no information out there, yet, as to who will represent Young. Case.net still does not list an attorney for her--which I find very strange. From all that's been said about Young, I don't see her using a public defender in a case of this magnitude. Still, she may be broke and may be forced into that legal representation. She does have the farm, listed at $290 thousand when it went on the selling block 18 months or so ago. However, she's very egotistical and she's manipulated herself through other tough spots, and she may think she'll walk away from this and she wants the farm to go home to.

At one time Engels and Mock requested a change of judge, but that has since been dropped. When it comes time to plan for trial, I expect Young to ask for a change of venue.

Mark Williams is gaining strength in Adair County. He certainly didn't let this case go cold, he led a dogged investigation, as did the Adair County Sheriff's Office and the Missouri State Patrol.

Crime scene for sale in Northeast Missouri
(NOVINGER, Mo.) The home where a Northeast Missouri man was murdered last month is now up for sale.

Forty-three-year-old Melvin Griesbauer of Novinger was shot in the head in front of the barn on the 92-acre property almost two weeks ago.

The asking price for the four-bedroom house on Penny Royal road just off Route O is $290,000.

Greisbauer's wife, Kay Young, put the home up for sale last Friday.

"She still is a person of interest. We are watching her moves, what she is up to basically; so we knew about her putting her place up for sale, but again we're not in a position to make any further arrests at this point in time, nor are we prepared to arrest her. We are waiting on some lab tests."

More: http://www.ktvotv3.com/Global/story.asp?S=4727238&nav=menu124_2

The farm is for sale again. A month after the murder it was listed at $290 thousand. Today's listing is $229 thousand. Times are tough...and a legal defense for this case is going to cost more than that farm!

You can see it here:

http://www.brennanrealty.net/farms2/92290/92290 Pg.htm

These photos do not show the maze of outbuildings surrounding the farm where the shooting took place. Both women now in jail awaiting trial first said Mel went out to the buildings to "check for varmits" and got shot by person(s) unknown, this came after they told law enforcement on the scene minutes after the shooting he had committed suicide.

Innocent until proven guilty, but these stories stink!

Young has retained an attorney out of Independence, Missouri. They have filed a motion to reduce her bond, and that will be determined at her hearing on May 5.

Young appeared in court today for her arraignment and bond reducation hearing. There are now three attorneys on record--two of whom look to be straight from central casting on The Sopranos! The bond reduction was deferred, so she's back sitting in jail until her next hearing, scheduled for July 7.

What is extra interesting is that Kay is linked to another death the authorities are calling suspicious.

Kay's mother, Celia "Novinger" was exhumed last month.Celia was a descendent of the man who founded the town.
The house for sale was the original homestead. Kay ended up with it although she had siblings. I don't think it was still for sale at the time of Kay's arrest. (But that might change)

Tons of local talk about the circumstances of Celia's death. But, as the husband was insured for $1million+ there is even more talk about the husband's death.

There is a picture of Kay and her husband getting married here:

http://www.badgirlscrimeblog.com/

There is also a picture of Kay, info about the murder and links to a video about the exhumation and Kay's arrest. A female "friend" has also been charged with Kay's husband's murder and there are links to more about that too.

The Hammons' autopsy results are back.

http://www.ktvotv3.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=131336

The story is interesting in what it didn't say.

The Hammons' autopsy results are back.

http://www.ktvotv3.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=131336

The story is interesting in what it didn't say.

I think so, too. It kind of sounds like they are taking it further. And they aren't saying Kay was cleared.

Is Kathy Mock's trial still going forward as scheduled?

More light on Kay and Kathy's relationship might shed light on why Kathy got in so deep.

JMO

I think so, too. It kind of sounds like they are taking it further. And they aren't saying Kay was cleared.

Is Kathy Mock's trial still going forward as scheduled?

More light on Kay and Kathy's relationship might shed light on why Kathy got in so deep.

JMO

Definitely going a couple of steps further with the Hammons' death. Young might eventually be cleared of this one, but the story makes it sound as if something interesting came back in that autopsy report.

Not much coming out (yet) about the relationship between Kay and Kathy. The trial (so far) is still scheduled for July 14. Maybe things will be somewhat cleared up about how Kathy Mock got involved with Kay and then a murder charge at that trial.

BJS,

Wasn't the theory put out by Cathy after the suicide story didn't fly an intruder?

Very interesting case, and I bet it will make a great book! Good luck, BJS, and let us know when it comes out so we can read it.

BJS,

Wasn't the theory put out by Cathy after the suicide story didn't fly an intruder?

Yes, that was the first story, but I don't know exactly who put it out. Then came a story that Kathy shot Mel for the championship dogs. Then came a story about there being bad blood between Kathy and Mel because of this or that. Then came...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back