Stress = Strange Statements

tipper

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The Ramseys have been taken to task for saying what some people thought were strange things indicative of guilt. The night of the 26th John was quoted as saying "I'm sorry" and this meant he had guilty knowledge of the crime. I think sometimes people under great stress just say odd things. For example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/04/u...&en=223e2b678aa8ed09&ei=5094&partner=homepage
[…]
He said Ms. Carroll marveled at the new coverage of her case, saying she "felt like O. J. Simpson" as her car was trailed by helicopters as it left the airport.

The Monitor released video of Ms. Carroll's reunion with her family on Sunday. While hugging her mother and sister, Ms. Carroll briefly wept and said, "I'm sorry."
[…]

Tipper, good point. I personally would never think that saying you`re sorry would point to any guilt in that person who says it.

I mean, I go to funerals and tell the family of the person that passed away that I am sorry and I am sure not always involved in their deaths, am I?

I have heard on the German news that in some country (I think it was a Scandinavian country, Norway possibly), they are establishing a law which says that if you apologize out of politeness, let's say after a car accident, it cannot be held against you later in a trial.

Wuschel

I agree Tipper,

In fact I think that it is a sign of a kind and thoughtful person,to say I'm sorry when they are in the grips of wrenching grief,because they feel that it is interupting other peoples lives.

I had a niece whose baby died of SIDS on Christmas eve,in fact this was her second baby to die of SIDS.Of course we immediately went to her house to comfort her.The mother of my niece,repeatedly was saying I'm sorry.When I asked her why she kept apologizing,she said she felt so bad that this was ruining everyone's holiday plans .... of course she was grief stricken,and she was talking through her grief.

IMO ... that's exactly what was going on with John Ramsey.

I don't think the Ramseys were taken to task solely on John's "I'm sorry" statement.

I think the statement that was discussed was to the effect of "We didn't mean for this to happen"

I also must say that there is not ONE thing that people find guilty about the Ramseys. I believe it is a cumulative effect of ALL the things the Ramseys have said and done.

When one thing is unusual, it can be explained away by stress, etc. When so many things are atypical and out of the ordinary and "norm" if you will, the cumulative effect will make people go hmmmmmmmm

Barbara said:
When one thing is unusual, it can be explained away by stress, etc. When so many things are atypical and out of the ordinary and "norm" if you will, the cumulative effect will make people go hmmmmmmmm

Exactly. There are just too many things that can't be explained away.

Re "There's too many things that just can't be explained away," well, some of us consider them all just stress statements, EXCEPT that "We didn't mean for this to happen," certainly sounds like they went along with SOMETHING they don't seem to want to acknowledge which ended badly.

Possibly if we knew what that SOMETHING was, the whole case might be solved. I'm surprised there's been no investigation of that statement, at least none that we've heard of.

Sounds like they may have been deceived by some kind of proposal involving JonBenet. A ruse(?)

Eagle1 said:
Re "There's too many things that just can't be explained away," well, some of us consider them all just stress statements, EXCEPT that "We didn't mean for this to happen," certainly sounds like they went along with SOMETHING they don't seem to want to acknowledge which ended badly.

Possibly if we knew what that SOMETHING was, the whole case might be solved. I'm surprised there's been no investigation of that statement, at least none that we've heard of.

Sounds like they may have been deceived by some kind of proposal involving JonBenet. A ruse(?)
Yes Eagle1, it was Patsy who said that wasn't it, quietly to a friend, and not in John's presence.

Sounds to me like she was unintentionally admitting that she knew something was 'going on' with JonBenet prior to the night she was killed. That by saying "we" she included herself in amongst the group of friends and relatives who she suspected that, while they might have been sexually abusing JonBenet, they had never intended killing her. IMO.

I don't think there is anything strange or unusual that John has said or done that can't be explained away. However, in Patsy's case I think there are many. I think this is because while John was blissfully ignorant of all the events leading up to JonBenet's death, Patsy most certainly was not.

That's pretty much my take on it too, that PR knew something, only I assumed she meant "John and I" when she said "we".

Now that you mention it, she COULD have meant the friends, I suppose, instead of JR.

But later on both the parents are accused of suspecting their friends, throwing some "under the bus". So maybe she did mean "John and I", and saying it, not in his presence, may not mean anything. Just a slip of the tongue that DOES seem to show she knows SOMETHING.

Eagle1 said:
That's pretty much my take on it too, that PR knew something, only I assumed she meant "John and I" when she said "we".

Now that you mention it, she COULD have meant the friends, I suppose, instead of JR.

But later on both the parents are accused of suspecting their friends, throwing some "under the bus". So maybe she did mean "John and I", and saying it, not in his presence, may not mean anything. Just a slip of the tongue that DOES seem to show she knows SOMETHING.
Well sissi, I think that they do suspect some of their friends, and with good reason, I would say. As for throwing them "under the bus", that came from the former friends they suspect. Actually I think Patsy has known all along who some are at least, that were there that night. I don't think John did in the beginning but after the bizarre way his former friend behaved after JonBenet was killed, I think John started to get very suspicious that he might somehow be involved.

Eagle1 said:

Eagle1,

Or more than one Ramsey was engaged in collusive behaviour that resulted in JonBenet's death, e.g. an agreed punishment that goes wrong!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back