Victim claims officials too slow to investigate child *advertiser censored*

jttnewguy

Reaction score
This is from CNN.com..kind of shocking...

Former Teen Victim Tells Congress That Only 1 of 1,500 Predators That He Identified Has Been Arrested

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Justin Berry, who for five years appeared in his own webcam child *advertiser censored* business, told a House panel Tuesday that the Justice Department is moving too slowly to round up 1,500 pedophiles whose information he surrendered last year.
"I believed that the government would protect the children being abused. I believed they would act quickly," Berry, now 19, told the House Energy and Commerce Committee. "I was wrong."

Berry was a lonely teenager whose parents had recently divorced when he sought friends on the Internet at the age of 13. Very quickly after posting a photo and profile of himself on-line, a variety of men responded who pretended to befriend him, and then began asking him to take his clothes off in front of his webcam, and then eventually to commit live sex acts in exchange for money paid by credit card through a PayPal account that one predator taught him to set up.

Berry's story was reported in December by the New York Times after a six-month investigation. Its author, Kurt Eichenwald, told the Energy and Commerce Committee on Tuesday that Berry is the first such teenage witness known to turn over such a vast cache of evidence to the government.

But Berry's catalog of over 1,500 of his clients' names, credit card numbers and other details has resulted in only one arrest, he and Eichenwald said.

Berry also said that after he provided the names of other child victims that he had met on-line, the Justice Department did nothing for almost 2 months. "From the time that the government was notified of Justin's information to the point where the children in direct danger were saved, more than 50 days passed," Eichenwald told the panel. "Some people identified as perpetrators literally could not get themselves arrested if they tried."

You are right, it is shocking. I can't believe only one arrest has been made! Justin is providing everything that is needed to arrest these creeps! Why isn't something being done? I did see a few minutes of his talk before congress today--(MSNBC Dan's show). I feel for Justin and I admire him for coming forward and I am angry that nothing has been done. He did a very good job of telling his story from the little I heard on Dan's show today.

Justin was on Oprah not too long ago. I knew he looked familar while I was watching him speak to congress yesterday. I feel so bad for him.

Link

That's the problem with it being a federal crime--government bureaucracy really slows everything down once you get to the federal level. That's what frustrating to a lot of FBI guys. They're expected to be government employees first, law enforcement second.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back