807 users online (120 members and 687 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CA - Douglas Lakin, 52, Corona, April 1981

25 Years Ago:

---------------------------------
    Douglas D. Lakin
    Missing since April 1981 from Corona, Riverside County, California.
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: November 20, 1928
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 52 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 200 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown eyes; black hair.
    Marks, Scars: scar on abdomen.
    Medical Conditions: Lakin may be suffering from an undetermined mental illness.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Lakin was traveling around the United States in 1980. He often called his relatives and let them know his location. Lakin was in Corona, California near the Mexican border during Easter weekend in April, 1981. He phoned his family in Michigan and asked them to wire money so he could return home. Lakin has never been seen or heard from again.

One of Lakin's daughters actively searched for her father until 2000, when she decided to initiate the process of declaring him legally deceased. There has been no activity on Lakin's Social Security number since 1981. There were no objections to the process from other relatives and Lakin was declared deceased in Nebraska in September 2001.

Lakin's daughter believes that her father suffered from an undiagnosed mental illness and that with treatment, he would have recovered and not disappeared. His daughter was diagnosed with a bipolar disorder some time ago.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Riverside County Sheriff's Office 402-444-7998

NCIC Number: M-462521233
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    The Omaha World Herald
    The Doe Network: Case File 372DMCA

Link:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/372dmca.html
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 05-04-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: updated doe network link

There is a height discrepancy of 3 inches with one and 4 inches with the other, but it is possible that one or the other could be him.

The summary stated that he often called his relatives to let them know his wherabouts, and these two possible matches are each about three years off from his last contact. My gut feeling is that he crossed into Tijuana, Mexico and met with foul play south of the US border.

30 years ago...

This year marks 30 years since Douglas Lakin went missing.

It must have been such a hard decision for his daughter in 2000 to have him declared legally deceased. I wonder if he did have a bipolar disorder since his daughter was later diagnosed.
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." – Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

Douglas David Lakin missing April 1981 from Corona Ca.

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 20, 1928
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 52 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 200 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown eyes; black hair.
    Marks, Scars: scar on abdomen.
    Medical Conditions: Lakin may be suffering from an undetermined mental illness.
    Dentals: Not available.

lakin_douglas.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...n_douglas.html

http://doenetwork.org/cases/372dmca.html
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!

Circumstances of Disappearance

Lakin was traveling around the United States in 1980. He often called his relatives and let them know his location.

Lakin was in Corona, California near the Mexican border during Easter weekend in April, 1981. He phoned his family in Michigan and asked them to wire money so he could return home. Lakin has never been seen or heard from again.

One of Lakin's daughters actively searched for her father until 2000, when she decided to initiate the process of declaring him legally deceased. There has been no activity on Lakin's Social Security number since 1981. Lakin was declared deceased in Nebraska in September 2001.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/372dmca.html