Gene Pitney: More than Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa

Well, he was before my time but I do like "Only Love Can Break A Heart" which BTW I haven't heard in a long time.

Well, he wasn't before my time - and I loved him! I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I still have some of his records, even though I don't have anything to play them on. RIP Gene.

I recall Gene Pitney, but cannot recall the song for which I remember him. Did not find it listed in the articles. Oh, well...
May he R.I.P.

I always liked "Town Without Pity" and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" by Gene Pitney.

May he RIP.

Maral said:
I always liked "Town Without Pity" and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" by Gene Pitney.

May he RIP.
here's an oldie that I liked when he played for a USO concert I attended...many moons ago: Mr Moon, Mr Cupid & I by Gene Pitney

(mp3 file...depending on your connection, immediate or up to 5 min download normally)

Oh I love Gene Pitney! One of my favorite songs is "Only Love Can Break A Heart". It was such a beautiful song and he sang it with such emotion. I have it on tape with a bunch of music I put together and listen on my walkman.

He had a really nice voice and style.
Another star dead relatively young. We're losing them so often lately it seems

Alice253 said:
Well, he wasn't before my time - and I loved him! I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I still have some of his records, even though I don't have anything to play them on. RIP Gene.

My BF (who's 20 yrs. older than me) has all these 45's plus one of those huge stereos that is about as big as a friggin' couch taking up alot of space. When he goes that thing is a goner. It still works it just takes up alot of room.

I remember Gene Pitney well although he was 20 years older than me.
He duetted with a British singer called Marc Almond in 1988 to sing 'Somethings Gotten Hold Of My Heart' which I think was fantastic!
But the song I remember the most was '24 hours from Tulsa' which I think was out when I was a kid.

God Bless Gene and may he rest in peace.

blueclouds said:
I know him too. Before my time but my Grandfather used to listen to him all the time. :( 65... too young. :(
Being a pop musician/rock star does not make old bones. The lifestyle is far too rough, and even if they make some real money during their career as self-employed creative types,medical care doesn't become a concern until their 40s. The late hours, the time on the road, the boredom between shows, leads to a lot of drinking and recreational drug use, not to mention pharmaceutical drug addition. And those habits are hard to break as you get older, unless you get scared straight by friends dying or nearly ODing yourself. Even then, the liver & heart damage has probably already been done. And most musicians can't afford to change their blood out every 6 months like Keith Richards. The leading causes of death with 1960/1970s rock musicans nowadays is a tie between liver failure and heart disease, with cancer coming a close third. There's also a lot of complications due to diabetes with these guys, too. To my knowledge one of the oldest rock performers still around is Charlie Watts of the Stones (although I think Ginger Baker of Cream is up there too).
Then again I saw a copy of AARP magazine the other day with Paul McCartney on the cover. All I could do was groan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back