GUILTY SC - Zachary Frison, 15 mos, dies in hot car, Aiken, 4 April 2006

aussiegran

Reaction score
AIKEN, S.C. -- A woman was charged with homicide by child abuse Wednesday in the death of her 15-month-old son, who authorities said was left in a car for nine hours.

Karla N. Edwards, 35, left the child while she went to work at a Lowe's home improvement store Tuesday morning, sheriff's Lt. Michael Frank said.
http://www.ksat.com/news/8499635/detail.html
:banghead: The poor little thing .Only 15 months old and left for 9 hours . I wonder how many times she did it.I cant understand why no one saw this .

This story suggests many disturbing ideas. Obviously the endangerment and subsequent death of an infant takes precedence. But another thought to consider: maybe the mother did not have another viable (or known) alternative. A person makes rash decisions when the threat of losing a job (and income) are combined with the possible lack of resources needed to aid in child care. Just some thoughts....thanks for listening.

aussiegran said:
AIKEN, S.C. -- A woman was charged with homicide by child abuse Wednesday in the death of her 15-month-old son, who authorities said was left in a car for nine hours.

Karla N. Edwards, 35, left the child while she went to work at a Lowe's home improvement store Tuesday morning, sheriff's Lt. Michael Frank said.
http://www.ksat.com/news/8499635/detail.html
:banghead: The poor little thing .Only 15 months old and left for 9 hours . I wonder how many times she did it.I cant understand why no one saw this .
YOu would have thought that the baby would have cried at some point during the day! How could the poor thing go un-noticed for that long af a period?? Okay so what about this....in 9 hours she she would ahve gotten a lunch and two breaks. I thought labor laws insisted tht a luncher period be taken within the 1st 6 hours for the employee's shift, and they would also get two breaks in addition to that. So, I am assuming that she never went outside to check on the poor kid the whole day, not even to feed the baby or change it's diaper:loser: No sympathy for her, and I hope she get's the whole book thrown her way:mad:

What she did was incredibly stupid! At 35, she was old enough to know better. What's sad is the fact that she probably worked and earned just enough to NOT receive any state aid or benefits. I feel like she's probably done this before or else she would have been out checking on him every few minutes - or have someone else do it. Adults can be so stupid!

Oh yeah she had an alternative! She could have chose not to do it. I don't care if she was threatened with losing her job. Now the baby lost it's life. Where were her priorities? Hmmm... let's see. Go to work and leave my baby in a dangerous position or choose to put my baby first and not let him die in a hot car. And what about a lunch-break or bathroom break? Did she not check on the baby all day? Yup, I bet she's done this many times but this time it didn't work out so well for the baby. This is not a teenager - she's 35!

Just to clarify: I am not agreeing with this "alternative" and I believe at 35yoa, she should have known better. I just wanted to throw out the possibility (don't shoot me, lol) that there may be more to this story than we know. Although I rarely post on this site I am a daily reader & I've learned a few things from all of you. A few important lessons I've gleaned from this site is that it is my responsibility (yes, I believe it is each of our own responsibilities) to think outside the box, not make judgments before all the facts, and that suggesting, exploring and researching all alternatives makes the best researcher! I was not meaning to imply that this woman is justified in any way. :twocents:

lisan1373 said:
Just to clarify: I am not agreeing with this "alternative" and I believe at 35yoa, she should have known better. I just wanted to throw out the possibility (don't shoot me, lol) that there may be more to this story than we know. Although I rarely post on this site I am a daily reader & I've learned a few things from all of you. A few important lessons I've gleaned from this site is that it is my responsibility (yes, I believe it is each of our own responsibilities) to think outside the box, not make judgments before all the facts, and that suggesting, exploring and researching all alternatives makes the best researcher! I was not meaning to imply that this woman is justified in any way. :twocents:
Actually, I understand your point. :) I was thinking to myself that her fear of losing her minimum wage job led to the death of her baby. In a perfect world, she would be able to approach her boss and say, "Hey, look, I don't have a sitter and no money to hire one. My baby's in the car." The boss in a perfect world would say, "No problem. Bring the little one in and we'll all take turns watching him/her."

Alas, it's not a perfect world. And because of that one more baby has lost its life. So yes, I do agree with you in part but then I beg to differ in others. It just boils down to she was incredibly stupid.

IMO stupidy should not be a permissable exuse if you endanger your child.

A lot of state have childcare assistance programs for poverty-stricken families. For the worst case scenarios, a parent can get almost complete reimbursement while they are getting a few paychecks under their belt.

I know this because I have audited the federal programs that get passed down to the states.

IMO, there is no excuse for this and this lady should have a reserved seat in hades.

Sometimes people do really do dumb things - like leaving their children in the car while they pop into the store - only to find that "things" take a little longer to accomplish. But somehow leaving a child all day in a car - that is more than dumb - that is wilfully dumb!!!
Not too long ago I discovered that a Pacific Island woman had left her child in the car on a hot summer's day. I wasn't quite sure what to do. I was prepared to call 111 or smash the window but the child didn't seem to be under stress so I decided to just stand by "in case". The woman came running back all apologetic. I didn't say anything.

you know...just thinking outside the box here...what if the baby was already dead from dehydration before she went to work? She might be thinking it would be a good cover for neglect. (ok, never mind...just thinking out loud)

lisan1373 said:
I understand and do appreciate your point of view, however I feel that there was no excuse for endangering the life of her child. I don't care what the circumstances were, and that fact that the baby was out there all day long (9 hours) without being check on:banghead: makes me crazy. I work in the assistance programs and there are state funded child care assistance programs which provide asistance for working parents. Some of my coworkers even qualify. There is just no excuse...at all IMO. Not attacking the poster:blowkiss:

Dadof4 said:
A lot of state have childcare assistance programs for poverty-stricken families. For the worst case scenarios, a parent can get almost complete reimbursement while they are getting a few paychecks under their belt.

I know this because I have audited the federal programs that get passed down to the states.

IMO, there is no excuse for this and this lady should have a reserved seat in hades.
I agree Dadof4:clap:

A couple of years back, I had just started a job and it was snowing so school was closed for the day. I couldn't afford to call in because I wasn't entitled to any paid days off yet, so I took my daughter to work with me. I was hoping that I could make some phone calls and take lunch early and take her to someone's house. Well, my supervisor walked over and said "get your daughter out of here". I started to get my things to leave and one of the VP's asked where I was going. I explained my problem and he said to take her home and he would make sure that I got paid for the day. He also arranged for her to come in at other times when I couldn't find anyone to watch her. I never took advantage, she usually just stayed for an hr or 2 until I could arrange something else.

It doesn't state the temperature of the area so I'm assuming that quite possibly this baby cried himself to death. After hours of crying I'm certain the child would loose enough water and also get himself so heated up that he died. MURDER 1 if they have proof she's done this ..................even once before!!!

Jail for life WITCH>

I can't see the woman being mentally "all there".

As far as the babysitter mess, I have seen alot of girls loose their jobs when the babysitter can't mind the child. Most employers cut personel down to the bone and when one doesn't show it throws the whole operation out of kilter. I just love and admire the companies that have a nursery right on the property so the woman can bring the children with them.

I'm not making any excuses for this mother's carelessness that cost her baby his life, but maybe she totally forgot she had him with her. I've read stories before where a babysitter or husband forgot they had the baby and left them in the car. For her to know he was there and not tend to him on breaks or lunch seems hard to understand. I really think she just plain forgot he was with her.

I'm sorry... but i've got to disagree. I am a mother of 3 young adults and never... not ONCE... did I ever forget I had any of my children with me. IMO I don't care how preoccupied, how stressed or scatterbrained someone is there is absolutely no excuse for leaving a child in the car, unattended.

kahskye said:
I'm not making any excuses for this mother's carelessness that cost her baby his life, but maybe she totally forgot she had him with her. I've read stories before where a babysitter or husband forgot they had the baby and left them in the car. For her to know he was there and not tend to him on breaks or lunch seems hard to understand. I really think she just plain forgot he was with her.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for the woman. Granted she did something incredibly dumb and certainly criminally dumb but she's lost the most precious thing that she had. I think she has suffered enough.

MagicRose99 said:
I'm sorry... but i've got to disagree. I am a mother of 3 young adults and never... not ONCE... did I ever forget I had any of my children with me. IMO I don't care how preoccupied, how stressed or scatterbrained someone is there is absolutely no excuse for leaving a child in the car, unattended.
I agree with you. Aside from the child's physical needs not being met, or even checked on at minimum, was the risk of somebody stealing the child from the vehicle. NEVER, NEVER leave a child unattended in a vehicle for any length of time!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back