Identified! WI - Antigo - Skeletal Remains, April 2006 - Christopher Butler

Mom who cares

Cheesehead from the Dairy State
Reaction score
A passerby discorvered human remains in a forest south of a cemetery today. It is skeletonized, and a wallet and shoes were found with the remains suggesting it is a male. There are no missing men in the local area so it should be interesting to find out who it is. The remains have been taken to the state crime lab. I'll post again when I find out more, this is in my hometown.

Speculation in town is that it is a male from the Indian Reservation that is just South of Antigo, tribal police were in town this morning and I witnessed them speaking with our local investigators. Again, this is just talk, but some locals reported that a phone card was found with the remains and they are trying to trace it.

This would have to be big news there in Antigo, a very close knit town. I have been there many times and had relatives there. Is the A&W still there?

The building is still there but it is a family restaurant now. My favorite was a pizza burger basket with a mug of root beer. My older sisters worked there as carhops.

No news yet on the human remains, but I will be at a joint meeting tomorrow with the Chief of Police, maybe he'll give me some details. I'll let you know!

packerdog said:
This would have to be big news there in Antigo, a very close knit town. I have been there many times and had relatives there. Is the A&W still there?
Packerdog - thanks a lot... I'm 8 months pregnant and the mention of A&W triggered a SERIOUS craving. The worst part is that I now live in a metro area of WI, and have no idea where the nearest A&W would be, much less one that would serve car-side... I need a chili dog and a root beer in a frosted mug....

Amos Mortimer from Madison was the first person that came to mind when I thought about missing young men from WI. I don't recall a missing Native American man from WI being listed on any sites, but I'm sure there are many unreported missing people.

Ang50 said:
Packerdog - thanks a lot... I'm 8 months pregnant and the mention of A&W triggered a SERIOUS craving. The worst part is that I now live in a metro area of WI, and have no idea where the nearest A&W would be, much less one that would serve car-side... I need a chili dog and a root beer in a frosted mug....

Amos Mortimer from Madison was the first person that came to mind when I thought about missing young men from WI. I don't recall a missing Native American man from WI being listed on any sites, but I'm sure there are many unreported missing people.

LOL Ang50, I think there is still one in Portage. I grew up in Brookfield WI, and I loved those chili dogs when I was a kid. Congradulations!

Ang50 said:

There is an A&W in Superior Wisconsin that still serves carside and you still order over these little old speakers that must be 50 years old. There was also still an A&W in Iron River, WI that still had car hops as of a couple years ago. Sadly many of them have closed and I rarely get to stop at one.

I Always loved those Andi Steak Sandwiches with a Root Beer Freeze.....yum. Of course Culvers has become my replacement A&W.

As for the remains could they be from someone who was hunting? Perhaps no one reported this man missing because they simply thought he packed up and moved away? Could have been a single guy and people thought he simply took off or moved away?

It's really strange because the remains were found on a "logging" type of road that leads between Elmwood Cemetery and Mapleview Road. The road is only a few blocks long.The only reason they were found is that the County is testing wells in the area and someone was checking on them.

Who knows, David Spanbauer chose to come here to dispose of Cora Jones, I guess anything could happen.

Story in the paper and in the rumor mill suggests that there were phone cards found with the body and that it may be somebody who went missing 1.5 to 2 years ago and was living in another county.

Thanks so much for all your interest, hopefully someone will find out where their loved one rests.

I'll post again when there is more news, the local paper will probably have the story available tomorrow.

To all you A&W addicts, I believe there is still one open just South of Antigo in the Village of Wittenberg, about 20 some miles south on Hwy 45. They might even have carhops!!

Love you all!

Nothing is as good as A&W root beer in a frosty mug. Ang I'm not pregnant & still want one.

Whats going on here in Wi? Very strange happenings around our state lately! Hope they find out who it is.....I'm sure his family will rest knowing he's been found.

Ang50 said:

Amos didn't even cross my mind! I can't believe I didn't remember...;-( On one hand I hope it is Amos but I want him to be found alive. I hope they identify the remains soon.

Mom who cares said:
Story in the paper and in the rumor mill suggests that there were phone cards found with the body and that it may be somebody who went missing 1.5 to 2 years ago and was living in another county.

Thanks so much for all your interest, hopefully someone will find out where their loved one rests.

I'll post again when there is more news, the local paper will probably have the story available tomorrow.

To all you A&W addicts, I believe there is still one open just South of Antigo in the Village of Wittenberg, about 20 some miles south on Hwy 45. They might even have carhops!!

Love you all!
I grew up in Wittenberg. I cannot verify if the A&W is still there but there never was carhops. =( Clintonville had carhops though. =)

Glad to hear the carhop info, thought maybe I could get an influx of tourists into our area to spend a bunch of money! Just kidding, haven't got the paper yet to see if there is more info on the located person, let you know!

So you grew up in Wittenberg? My bank has a branch there, nice little village.

Made hubby go out for ice cream and a chili dog last night. (Culver's, though - but pretty good.) Plus, remembered there's an A&W attached to a gas station in Jefferson, WI - and I have to drive past it to get to school. In fact, I stopped there in my first trimester for a chili dog and had completely forgotten. Alas, no carhops, but I can live with that.

Wonder how long tests will take? This link will give you people in WI missing for over 6 months... http://www.charleyproject.org/geo/midwest.html

Ang50 said:
Made hubby go out for ice cream and a chili dog last night. (Culver's, though - but pretty good.) Plus, remembered there's an A&W attached to a gas station in Jefferson, WI - and I have to drive past it to get to school. In fact, I stopped there in my first trimester for a chili dog and had completely forgotten. Alas, no carhops, but I can live with that.

Wonder how long tests will take? This link will give you people in WI missing for over 6 months... http://www.charleyproject.org/geo/midwest.html

Been a long time since I was pregnant but I remember those cravings like it was yesterday. I sent my ex to the store many times around midnight.

Do you know what you are having or do you want a surprise? Names?

Bobbisangel said:
Been a long time since I was pregnant but I remember those cravings like it was yesterday. I sent my ex to the store many times around midnight.

Do you know what you are having or do you want a surprise? Names?
Yep, a little boy. We have a 3 year old daughter, currently being groomed to be a punter/field goal kicker. Son is a potential running back or lineman - not quite enough height for a QB. Can you tell their daddy is a football coach?

Carter will be his name - a family name. He'll be the first boy born in my extended family in over 20 years. And - my brother and his wife are due just 3 months later with another boy, so we're just over the moon excited. We figure we've covered the dating - when my daughter wants to start - say at 14 years old, we'll say fine - just take your 11 year old brother and 11 year old cousin with you. :)

Spoke with local LE today and they have identified the body as a young man from Bowler Wisconsin. Details should be in the paper tonight.

I asked them if they were aware of a missing young man as I certainly wasn't, their reply was that it was a long story. I can't believe someone could be missing and no one was looking for him, no posters, no nothing.

Very sad in my opinion.

Dental records have confirmed remains are Christopher Butler, a Bowler WI area resident. You can read the whole story at the Antigo Daily Journal site, but maybe not til tomorrow. Christopher was last seen on Feb. 12, 2004.

It was below zero that night and Christopher was only wearing a hooded sweatshirt. Prayers for Christopher's family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back