Guard Dogs Kill Man Who Jumps Business' Fence

cathieq

Reaction score
at the end of the article

Sheriff's deputies arrived to find the man badly mauled and still under attack. They said they were able to order the dogs away without using weapons.

The dogs are at a shelter. They'll be quarantined until county animal control officers decide their fate.
http://www.wpxi.com/news/8589984/detail.html

I found this on the WPXI site when I went to read about Scott's arrest. I'm curious about what I highlighted in blue....These were guard dogs, there to protect a business. They were only doing what was expected of them.

Were they suppose to just growl and scare him???? :doh: Guard dogs=likely attack.

Well, if he was stupid enough to jump the fence (where signs were most likely posted), then what did he expect? The dogs to invite him in for tea?

This pisses me off! My first doberman was a trained attack dog, it worried me to death! If he were to kill someone that broke into my house, he would lose his life for doing his job! I was so worried I bought an expensive security system to protect HIM!

Not the dogs' fault that the guy was a stupid A$$ for being where he wasn't suppossed to be.:twocents:

Linda7NJ said:
This pisses me off! My first doberman was a trained attack dog, it worried me to death! If he were to kill someone that broke into my house, he would lose his life for doing his job! I was so worried I bought an expensive security system to protect HIM!
The article says these dogs were pitbull mixes. That says it all right there...

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said the dogs, all pit bull mixes, attacked the man after he jumped the fence at the Cal State Steel Company. Security guards who heard his screams called 911.

LinasK said:

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said the dogs, all pit bull mixes, attacked the man after he jumped the fence at the Cal State Steel Company. Security guards who heard his screams called 911.
I don't feel that the type of dog is the issue here. If any dogs were trained as guard dogs, they most likely would have done the same thing. My uncle used to run a guard dog service. One of his dogs was a Great Dane , two Dobermans, and a German Shepard. All would have attacked under this circumstance. He shouldn't have been in there, at all.

bakerprune64 said:
I don't feel that the type of dog is the issue here. If any dogs were trained as guard dogs, they most likely would have done the same thing. My uncle used to run a guard dog service. One of his dogs was a Great Dane , two Dobermans, and a German Shepard. All would have attacked under this circumstance. He shouldn't have been in there, at all.
No, but those dogs might not kill, Pit Bulls almost always kill. That is my point, not that the guy was trespassing.

LinasK said:
No, but those dogs might not kill, Pit Bulls almost always kill. That is my point, not that the guy was trespassing.
I get your point. My uncles dogs were aggressive enough that they would have killed. He would go take them to the businesses at night and turn them loose, in the morning he would return to collect them before the owners came to open.

It's what guard dogs do. Kinda a harsh security system (the penalty for attempted theft is death), but I'm not all that sympathetic still. I do remember an interesting case where a frequently broken into business set up a booby trap (electrified grating), that ended up killing a would-be thief - and the owner got in trouble for that, but dogs do have their own, noisy warning system.

Details said:
It's what guard dogs do. Kinda a harsh security system (the penalty for attempted theft is death), but I'm not all that sympathetic still. I do remember an interesting case where a frequently broken into business set up a booby trap (electrified grating), that ended up killing a would-be thief - and the owner got in trouble for that, but dogs do have their own, noisy warning system.
Yup, it was a major risk this idiot was willing to take- the ultimate penalty- he lost his life, and in a very painful way too.

Details said:
I do remember that case also. I don't feel that he should have gotten in toruble for that since he had been burglarized a number of times and the police didn't seem to be helping him much. People do things to protect themselves from the thugs of society.
I'm just waiting for somebody to say that he was climbing the fence to make nice with the puppies.:rolleyes:

bakerprune64 said:
I do remember that case also. I don't feel that he should have gotten in toruble for that since he had been burglarized a number of times and the police didn't seem to be helping him much. People do things to protect themselves from the thugs of society.
I'm just waiting for somebody to say that he was climbing the fence to make nice with the puppies.:rolleyes:
His family will probably say so - and may even believe it - sad for them. I've seen a few of these types of cases, and the family is often in denial. Can't really blame them too much, so long as they don't try to obstruct justice or take revenge. Aside from that, it's a nice fantasy, and comfort for them to have.

And don't forget... "not of sound mind"...

bakerprune64 said:

Years ago, my FIL owned a junk yard, and he had a problem with people jumping the fence and stealing from him. Well, he turned his two dobies and one German Shepard loose at night to allievate (sp) the problem. One morning he came to work, and there was a guy hanging onto the fence with a German Shepard holding on to his leg. Needless to say, that guy didn't jump the fence to steal anymore! He was arrested for theft and went to jail. He did try to say he was just trying to pet the dog! LOL, that went over like a rock swimming in court.

LinasK said:

Police were able to easily call the dogs off...that says it all

LinasK said:

What would Cal State Steel Company need to protect to the extent that they have security guards AND guard dogs?

miimaa said:
What would Cal State Steel Company need to protect to the extent that they have security guards AND guard dogs?
Because Compton is one of the most violent areas around, it's not even safe in the daytime. The population is mainly black. It's like Richmond here in Northern CA.

miimaa said:

It seems to me that the inventory, tools and possible copper wiring that may be on the property would be worth a hell of a lot of money. Its a business who has every right to protect its assets. The guy didn't end up there on accident after all. Maybe if more businesses took the necessary steps to protect themselves our costs wouldn't be so high. :twocents:

Jeana (DP) said:
It seems to me that the inventory, tools and possible copper wiring that may be on the property would be worth a hell of a lot of money. Its a business who has every right to protect its assets. The guy didn't end up there on accident after all. Maybe if more businesses took the necessary steps to protect themselves our costs wouldn't be so high. :twocents:

Oh geesh....!! Of course any business has a right to protect it's assets. Just seemed a little excessive to me to have both humans and dogs - and I'd assume locked buildings with security alarms. I'm not defending the moron who climbed the fence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back