1079 users online (185 members and 894 guests)  

Websleuths News

KY - Georgia Nolan, 30, Harlan, 28 Nov 1976

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1515dfky.html

Georgia Darlene Nolan
    Missing since November 28 1976 from Harlan County, Kentucky

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: June 5, 1946
    Age at the time of her disappearance: 30 years old
    Height and weight at the time of her disappearance: 5'4-5'5", 120-130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark brown hair, brown eyes.
    Medical Conditions: Possible slight arthritis in the hands. Had given birth to four children.
    Clothing: Possibly wearing an indian style shirt of unknown design.

Circumstances of Disappearance :

Georgia Nolan was last seen in late November 1976, with her estranged husband. It was later said that Georgia had exited their vehicle on the interstate near the Illinois/Kentucky border after an argument. Shortly thereafter, on November 28th, her brother reported her missing. She has never been seen again and foul play is suspected. DNA is available for collection.
    Last edited by KateB; 04-25-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: update doe network link.

This is a direct quote from Georgia's daughter who will join us hopefully here shortly, (you know, the 'ol registering thing and all) :

...my mother's last known residence was located in Harlen, Kentucky. One night she was traveling to chicago. she got out of the car and no one has heard from her since. Missing persons can't find her. directory assistance can't find her. She was an attractive woman in her thirties. Her hair was dark. She has four kids who still wonder. Her name is Georgia Darlene Mitchell. she was a Nolan at the time......

This is about 30 minutes from where I live. This is really baffling. She is a very pretty lady. I sure wish her family the best and hope they find the answers they are looking for.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

Updated link:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1515dfky.html

Georgia has now been missing for 31 years.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/15926957.html

This is was the latest case that they have had in their Mountain Cold Case on the local news. According to them, they have a lead from a Jane Doe found in Virginia in 1980. In case you have problems with video like I do, here is the Jane Doe for comparison: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/568ufva.html .

To be honest, I have a hard time looking at Georgia's picture. I don't know why, but it sends shivers up my back. I think that this is a good chance that it is her. I think it's just a gut feel, but they do look similar.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by kygal View Post
    To be honest, I have a hard time looking at Georgia's picture. I don't know why, but it sends shivers up my back. I think that this is a good chance that it is her. I think it's just a gut feel, but they do look similar.
    Personally I think Georgia looks much better than the reconstructed face from the skeleton who has, to say the least, quite an unlikely blend of features. The forward chin is a distinctly Caucasian feature but I have never seen anyone sporting one with such a flat nose (certainly different from Georgia's picture), I mean it's unusually flat, as if it was the result of a facial developmental anomaly, such a feature would likely have been mentioned as a distinguishing characteristic if Georgia had one. The mouth doesn't look normal either, it's too small, too prominent and makes the face look as if the woman was in a perpetual foul mood, definitely not the impression I get from Georgia's picture.

In fact I get the impression that forensic experts suspect that the skeleton belonged to someone with a medical condition otherwise the nose would not have been rendered with such an odd shape. While the height of the nose's bridge can often (but not always) be determined from the nose bone its shape, especially when no comparison with living relatives is possible, is subject to artistic license. In such cases forensic artists will draw multiple versions a face, each sporting a nose shape consistent with the racial characteristics of the skeleton (when known) which for Caucasians mean a lot of different shapes. However in this case the shape is so unusual that I suspect the artist worked with the assumption that the skeleton belonged to someone with a specific facial development condition.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
    Personally I think Georgia looks much better than the reconstructed face from the skeleton who has, to say the least, quite an unlikely blend of features. The forward chin is a distinctly Caucasian feature but I have never seen anyone sporting one with such a flat nose (certainly different from Georgia's picture), I mean it's unusually flat, as if it was the result of a facial developmental anomaly, such a feature would likely have been mentioned as a distinguishing characteristic if Georgia had one. The mouth doesn't look normal either, it's too small, too prominent and makes the face look as if the woman was in a perpetual foul mood, definitely not the impression I get from Georgia's picture.

In fact I get the impression that forensic experts suspect that the skeleton belonged to someone with a medical condition otherwise the nose would not have been rendered with such an odd shape. While the height of the nose's bridge can often (but not always) be determined from the nose bone its shape, especially when no comparison with living relatives is possible, is subject to artistic license. In such cases forensic artists will draw multiple versions a face, each sporting a nose shape consistent with the racial characteristics of the skeleton (when known) which for Caucasians mean a lot of different shapes. However in this case the shape is so unusual that I suspect the artist worked with the assumption that the skeleton belonged to someone with a specific facial development condition.
    Karl, I have no idea just why looking at it sends the shivers. Seeing it on TV last night did the same thing as when I first saw it on Doe. I'm not sure that the nose on the clay bust and the her's don't look the same. The eyes and chin (to me) look very similar.

Here's a local newspaper story on the case as well. It says that most of the family believe she is buried somewhere in Harlan County area. http://www.harlandaily.com/articles/...s/news8372.txt

Just to update. The local news station here is going to be doing an update tonight @11 pm on "a cold case recently covered in Harlan County." This has to be it as the others are from other areas of the state. If it is (or isn't) I'll post the story here as soon as it's available.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/17407724.html

Police are looking at a spot in Loyall (very near Harlan) for the body of Georgia Nolan -- a spot where her family has believed she was buried in 1976. DNA is still not complete of Jane Doe in VA.

Any updates on this?

related Links

Georgia Darlene Michell-Pruitt-Nolan

I know this thread hasn't seen much attention lately but I have a question. I have been "sleuthing" about Georgia Nolan and I am wondering, do Namus and other Missing Person's databases require documentation to prove the identity of the person they are listing?In other words, proof that they do in fact exist. I have searched everywhere for family information about Georgia under all last names, date of birth, spouses, Harlan Kentucky, genealogy sites, her children and have come up completely empty. Is it possible that the name is wrong?
    Last edited by Justice4them; 06-29-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: The title was supposed to be Mitchell, not Michell

Any news on the Jane Doe's DNA?

Quite a bit from Georgia's daughter here

http://m.topix.com/forum/city/harlan...NRRS2ELUQBVJ3F

Such a sad case. I hope her children and family find closure someday.